Calling all rcr soldiers

How much? Something tells me I don't want to know...

Not as much as you might think. If I remember right the replica Cobra guys have been paying something around $400 to coat the underside of their hoods.

18516MVC-002S.jpg

You might laugh at this but I can tell you from experience this stuff works. It is called PlastiDip. It is a rubber based paint that if you don't like the color, or mnake a mistake, then peel it off and start over. They have any color you want and if you find one they don't have then you can add pigments from Sherwin Williams to the paint to get your very own special color. They have metalics, pearls and clears. The clears will take the dull primer like finish to a nice satin color. You can addd your own clear coats but it then doesn't peel as good when you remove it. There are many on You tube that have posted the DIY jobs that can be done without much talent. Their web site has the basics: https://www.dipyourcar.com/ I will list the better ones. They have all the equipment you need to get started. The paints cost anywhere from $57-$79 and two to three gallons will do just about any small car. The trick to putting it on is to use light coats for the first 2-3 coats and then heavier for the 4 and maybe the 5th coats. You want the thickness so that if you don't like it, it peels off in sheets, and you need it to get the color to show. There are cheap ways to accomplish this and I will give the web sites that will help. This stuff comes in two varieties. Plain Plastidip and Sprayable. With the plain you mix thinners like Xylene, Naptha etc. in 1:1 ratios to double your volume, and cut yo9ur cost almost in half. Then if you want the color to show in fewer coats you add some pigments of the like color to deepen the color. With the Sprayable you spray it just as it is. When they first started using this stuff for the cars they had the thick stuff like you buy at the hardware store to dip the handles of your pliers and other tools. Later on in an attempt to make a little more money they began thinning the stuff and selling it as a "sprayable" for the same price, and in some cases for a little more. Tonight when I get home I will list all the web sites and Utube channels that will help you out. I am about to undertake an experimental approach to the color I want for my car, as I HAVE TO paint mine. More on that a little later on.
The SLCs should be easy to paint as they are mostly flat surfaces. The GT-40s on the other hand have a lot of recesses and hard to get to places. You can get the skills off of Utube, as there must be hundreds of postings on how to paint your car with some very instructional in nature. I am at work and their computers won't allow access to Utube so I will post more tonight.

Bill

Ordered paint. going with pic 1 on the slc. I figured ill be driving SLC more during year due to NYC weather. base silver with thick black stripe and red pinstripe.
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=69291&d=1387252896

Lemans needed a brighter louder color due to lack of roof real estate and visibility. Leaning towards base bright red with thick black stripe. bought some blue (4TH ATTACHMENT) as well to test as the base with black stripe (although wont flow into the red accented interior which is exposed).

any thoughts.

Attachments

• TITANIUM.jpg
    TITANIUM.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 160
  • BLACK PEARL.jpg
    BLACK PEARL.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 166
  • FIRETHORN.jpg
    FIRETHORN.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 143
  • BLUE METALLIC.jpg
    BLUE METALLIC.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 145
Good choice - I would have picked #1 also. I likely wouldn't paint my car #2 (yellow scheme) but that would look good and more off the hook. I really like yellow cars but don't think I could own one.... if that makes sense.

BTW: I recently installed the same Tillets (black inserts) - you'll like those seats. Can't have a fat wallet or phone in the back pant pockets though.

Last edited:
Shark, I guess your the "Sharkie" allans been speaking about. The lemans would be similar to your red but with a thick black stripe. And black/tinted everywhere. I hope the silver choice will work on the slc. You never know with pictures. The blue looks nice, hasn't been done, but clashes with the red accents. Another steering wheel no prob but seat inserts can really easily be done. another set of seats? sure why not?

Never been a fan of blue on red or visa versa, always thought they clashed. Looks like the "Zonda" single stripe idea has many fans. I worked out that paint for mine maybe a year ago, although I have not decided on main body color. Now if I could just get to the paint part of the program.

From back when I was in screenprinting, blue on red or red on blue definitely clashes and causes your eyes to do weird things. Think of the 3D images where you wear the red/blue lensed glasses.

Back