cam question

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
We are getting close to starting up the engine in my GT40, probably a few weeks away, and this seems like a good time to post a question and solicit opinions. The question is about cam selection and carburetors etc

The engine in my car is a 302 which was built with AFR heads, about 9.5 compression, and a flat-tappet hydraulic camshaft picked by the engine builder based on my request for an engine with a broad relatively flat torque curve, 350hp or so, and good idle and tractability. These cars are light enough that I did not need huge torque in the lower range, but smooth power delivery would make the car more fun to drive. The engine was run in and several dyno runs showed peak hp of about 355, I think at around 4000 revs, and peak torque of about 380 ft/lbs. Redline was 6000. This was done with a 650 Holley mechanical secondary carb. I had intended to fit Webers, but that was not possible at the time, and so the engine was run in, and then drained and put away until it was installed into the car. It has not run since then. During the most recent phase of completing the car, the Holley carb and manifold were removed and the 4x44IDF setup that I bought from Chuck Schmidt on this forum was installed, and also the crossover exhaust system which I did not have when the engine was originally tested. Chuck was kind enough to send the cam that he used with the Webers in his engine, but I have not installed it into the engine. I went with 44IDFs because I thought 48IDAs would be too much for a street car, based on the experience of others and my (very) limited experience with original cars.

My question is this: what is different about a cam that is intended for use with Webers, particularly small Webers such as the 44IDFs? I recall reading that Webers rely on a strong vacuum to work properly; I don't know what "strong" is, and what sort of cam profiling and lobe separation and timing work well with Webers. It would be a relief if the engine runs well with the current cam and the Webers (the current cam is a fairly conservative hydraulic flat lifter cam, or so the engine builders said at the time- someplace I have the cam card and grind number, and I am looking for it). Changing the cam in my car would not be impossible without pulling the engine, just a pain in the neck I would just as soon do without.

So- with all that- what cam characteristics make a cam suitable or better for use with Webers, particularly the individual-runner kind of setup which my engine now has? Suggestions and experience and reference sources cheerfully acknowledged. Thanks in advance for help/encouragement.

Camshaft lobe seperation angle & overlap have the biggest effect on vacuum, If your current cam has a lobe seperation angle of 110° or greater & an overlap period of around 70° or less then you shouldnt have too many problems, but thats a pretty general statement. Post your cam card details if you find them, shooting in the dark without them, cant have that, might hit someone in the paddock:)

On another tangent, If your motor has been in storage for some time & Ron hasnt already suggested it, prime the oil pressure with an old dizzy with gear removed until you have oil out at the rockers prior to that first start, the cam gods will thank you for it.:)

Last edited:
Jim, this is just my own personal experience (not based in any scientific or proven research) so take it for what it's worth (probably not much). Basically, I've found that webers are less tolerant of overlap than a single 4barrel Holley. I surmise this to be because the webers are direct ported into the cylinder (no common plenum) with a fairly short run, reversion is "felt" in a very real and obvious manner at the venturi ie. stalls flow and vaccum. I assume that with a 4barrel on a common plenum, while there is a collective effect to degrees of overlap, the effect at the venturi is not as peaked. In other words, flow (and therefore vaccum and good atomization) is affected less.

Of course, depending on the relative flow rates of the webers v. the particular 4 barrel you're using you might need/want a different cam anyway.

Again, just my own personal experience with no basis in proven science!

Back