Car building is a complex business

Hi Everyone,

Fran Hall mentionend a Jaguar XJ13.

Darryl Simpson from Cape Town imported an XJ13 kit from Proteus in the UK and built up this stunning car. He had previously built a D-Type, seen to the right of the pic and the car was painted in the Ecurie Ecosse colours. The two Jags looked great side by side in one of his double garages.

He sold the XJ13 to a Spaniard in 2002 and was the only person ever to have bought a kit from CAV. He then built the GT40 to the same exacting standards as the two Jags.

Pity the Christmas stockings aren't large enough.

Dream on,
Andre 40

Attachments

• 49290-4.jpg
    49290-4.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 594
Hi BenL,

Only now came across your question, posted on December 18 about Mike Costin.

Yes, Mike was the 'Cos' in Cosworth that he founded with Keith Duckworth.

Mike's brother, Frank, was an aerodynamisist who was responsible for shaping the Lotus 8, 9, 10, 11 and Elite, the original Marcos with Jem Marsh and the Vanwall Grand Prix car. He was clearly way ahead of his time and the clever and competent Costin brothers certainly made their marks in British motor sport.

Andre 40

The original post may be FOUR years old now, but don't you just love the XJ13? It's my second favorite car of all time.

Simon

The book is an invaluble tool in any car builders toolbox they come up on ebay quite often Racing and Sports Car Chassis Design by Costin & Phipps on eBay, also, Non-Fiction Books, Books, Comics Magazines (end time 07-Jan-08 19:51:37 GMT)

I am a big Costin fan, hence me obtaining the rights to F Costins last car and hopefully building a few.

One of my favorite designs of his is the vanwall streamliner www.costins.net - Misc

I think car building is as expensive as it complex..... making one of something is so much simpler than making a quantity.

Simon,

there is a new RCR manufactured Sports Car Factory XJ13 arriving in the UK in a week or so..
Trevor Williams is finishing it for an SCF customer.....

Last edited:
Back