Caution in and around London

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
I 've just emailed my normally reliable plain clothes plod about verifying the post I made above and he should be back this evening with some answers. I've tried to log in, unsuccessfully. Maybe because I am so law abiding (not) it can't help me. Paul, I too get totally hacked off with these traps in Buckinghamshire (Thames Valley Plod force)and they were operating the same set up on the Henly road a couple of weeks ago. I questioned one of the hot pursuit depatch riders and he advised me that the Van associated with the cameras has Number plate recognition cameras, live on line to DVLA and any car, van, truck or M/cycle with any irregularities in documentation, (Insurance, MOT,Tax, ownership) whether they were speeding or not WILL be stopped. Again on this one there were 2 high speed Vauxhalls and 3 motorcyles and a Van with 2 shutter windows on the back door.
Meanwhile, You cannot venture into some parts of High Wycombe after dusk unless you disregard your own safety.
Seems all these so called plods are busy in their respective offices filling in so called paperwork.
I will get back again as and when I can get more info on this Gatso site.
Dave M

[ QUOTE ]
I 've just emailed my normally reliable plain clothes plod about verifying the post I made above and he should be back this evening with some answers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dave, its a hoax, try clicking on the pic. Nice One /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flehan.gif

Brett

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
I've just had the following email:
"Please ignore GATSO mail. Incorrect details and now recalled".
As Ian Dury wrote in his song "There ain't half been some clever bastards".
Quite elaborate hoax really. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1poke.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Well someone had to go and spoil it !!!

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, bad day at work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif, loss of sense of humour - I am looking forward to a good drink tonight... eventually!

Brett

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Re: Caution Southampton area

North of S'ampton on the M3 Southbound - Eastliegh area, silver Skoda Octavia - two huge blue lights on the back parcel shelf otherwise unmarked - not even extra antennae. Clearly upping their daily tally. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beat.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Re: General Caution SE UK and W of London

Tame plod:
1. New 'smart' cameras (spec) on M11 between Stansted and Cambridge just north of the road works so just as the road becomes de restricted look out.
2.M4 new small building being put up east of J11 on East bound just behind the Armco with access onto E bound. May have sinister purpose eventually but 'no comment' was the answer.
3. Road Angel with Laser detector is apparently inadequate and he has 'done' a few people with them on board.
His opinion of his job - "revenue collector for H.M.Government" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bash.gif

Keith

You raise an interesting point David. I was gonna get one of they Road Angels but just couldn't justify the expense even though I have 6 points and am a professional driver. I thus decided to deliberately drive more vigilently in order to avoid further tickets from these blasted machines. So far, so good. In any event, I have a sneaking suspicion that seeing as how police budget restraints have seemingly been completely lifted vis a vis revenue gathering equipment, then aftermarket detection capability will tend to lag behind that of the forces of Grabbit an Runn (formerly Her Majesties Constabulary and anyway, they'll be illegal from this year. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nono.gif

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter

Keith,
I use the Morpheus Geodessy GPS system to good effect for fixed camera locations and update it once a week. It seems quite good.
For lasers, that’s another thing and I guess it's not the best place to discuss them here on the web. I also had 6 points prior to buying the various gadgets, and I think had I not had the Geodessy I might have had countless more. It is a good deterrent. But - especially for the guys going to Le Mans Classic - don’t ever drive in France with anything that looks like a radar detector. You could conceivably lose just about everything and be detained for a considerable period - /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dead_horse.gif
at his highness Chiracs pleasure. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bash.gif

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter

Once again more info from a tame plod:
Dear All
It appears that Redspeed an independent company has won the contract to run speed camera in London and possibly in other parts of the country though this has not been confirmed

The new Gatso camera's are situated about 12 to 15 feet from the ground level and are about the third the size of the normal Gatso camera, They are digital and will not flash when you drive thorugh them at speed like the Gatso camera's does, the picture is downloaded via ISDN

The first you will be aware of this is when you receive a Notice of Intended Prosecution on your doorstep. Acpo guidelines is speed plus 10% plus 2=35 mph, I would NOT risk this speed if I came across these camera's and would go through at 30mph !!!!! There is no leniency for anyone, I have warned you to save your licence.

This week I have seen that Camera's are installed at these 2 sites already, the A40 at Old Oak Common lane Junction A40, Shepherds Bush area , City Road towards Old Street Roundabout, they could also be used for Bus lanes too.

If I receive any further information I will let you know

There is a small but (seemingly) growing movement where I live. It involves getting a REALLY fast bike and obscuring the plates (or don't register at all). Licence is optional. They just treat the cameras etc with disdain and run if necessary.
I wonder how long before we all step outside of this dragnet.

Tim.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter

Hi Tim,
I guess I'm amongst that number. When I feel the need (often) I have to take the 999 out and warm the tyres through thoroughly.It's been a particularly cold winter here and I think somebody told me once that the tyres will
'go off' unless they are exercised and warmed up regularly.
Or were they referring to blondes ?

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter

Hi Tim,
I guess I'm amongst that number. When I feel the need (often) I have to take the 999 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flehan.gif out and warm the tyres through thoroughly.It's been a particularly cold winter here and I think somebody told me once that the tyres will
'go off' unless they are exercised and warmed up regularly.
Or were they referring to blondes ?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My next bike may shortly be on its way; coincidently it may well be REALLY fast also. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Tim.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter

David

Thanks for the info but I wonder how legal it is?

For an image to be legally admisable it has to (perhaps had to if the law has been changed) able to be confirmed an not altered from the original.

With film the original negative is not able to be altered likewise microfilm is also admissable but there has been a query for a long time as to the admisability of digital image as these can be altered by anyone with a computer!

I must do some more reading around this area.

regards
Ian

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter

Ian,
Apparently the Variable Speed limit section on the M25 from
J16 to J8(?) has been digital with radio linking to ISDN
since the last 6 years. I used to shuttle 747s between Heathrow and Gatport airwick after engineering and BA used to send a car to either pick me up or take me there with invariably the same driver who's son was responsible for the installation on the M25 so he gave us the low down on each bridge and how they were linked. If that was my son I would have him drowned. I use a Morpheus Roadpilot and on this area on the M25 it is constantly warning because it doesn't know what the variable speed limit is anyway and I think they had set those GPS positions in the device with a 30mph limit.
Now the nicer weather has started, the tame plod has also advised me that they can get overtime by going out and either operating the hand held lasers or the type in the back of the vans with the small shutters on the rear doors.
The latter are also GPRS linked to DVLA database.
I don't think the Gestapo had anything on the Thames Valley Police.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Re: General Caution m42 Birmingham

From the tame plod:

Dear All

Just received an email from a friend in West Mercia Police, he informs me that they have set up the new digital automated tracking system between Junction 3 and 7b on the M42 and is due to go live on 1st April 2006

It is alleged these digital speed camera's have been set to a 2 mph tolerence.

Again as they are digital the camera's will not flash, and the first you will know is when a £60 fine comes through your letter box

I intend to make further enquiries and keep you updated

regards

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter

Chris,
Checked out - it's for real. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif and it's getting worse here. It's for revenue to pay for President Blair's antics!
Dave M

Yup, I've spotted a few of these now - looks like a small Gatso but about 3m high. Around Bayswater and Park Royal - central London has them.

Back