CAV or SPF GT40?

Pat

Supporter

Hay, thats a photo of Pat and me, trying to stay warm at Daytona last year...

Ah my good friend Jim, nice try but that's the obviously the SPF owner's group and anyone that knows me knows I don't do fondue. But complements on the cool sweater for your cat SPFie and the boots are probably helpful should your car leak ... just like the originals. ;)

Attachments

• Man2.jpg
    Man2.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 268
I am flattered that Pat post a pic of my CAV... This has been an interesting an rather entertaining discussion!

Given the choice I would have likely bought an SPF. But the opportunity for the CAV presented itself, it was affordable and left me with enough $ in the end to buy the Cobra too! I have zero regrets as here in New England I would have surely lost the entire nose of my low slung SPF on some lonely New England frost heave. Its a New England thing...

As far as I am concerned, the allure of all our cars is the way it presents itself. Strictly a matter of preference. I have seen some beautifully done CAVs and some real ugly SPF cars. :thumbsup:

attachment.php

Pat

Supporter
Dave, I think your car is stunning and you should be thrilled in it's ownership.

I personally really like SPF cars and like you, the opportunity for a CAV presented itself at the right time and place for a purchase. At first, I was actively looking for a used ERA GT40 as the waiting list new (at the time) was measured in years.
This thread has become a little like calling one's baby ugly and anyone that doesn't see the beauty of a well done CAV, SPF, Bailey, ERA or original (the GT40s I've personally seen) probably had difficulty potty training and tended to eat the glue in kindergarten.

What matters is the individual value proposition of each owner. To piggy back on some of the earlier posts I offer the following:

-If you want a driver, the CAV has user friendly interior space, the stainless mono is durable and my 13 year old chassis still looks new. The fiberglass spider allows for better weather sealing and you can make whatever changes you wish without fears of compromising "originality". But the "driver friendly" features, like the better rear vision of a "drooping tail" stainless steel throughout, A/C, left hand drive, center shift etc. go farther on the spectrum toward the realm of "exotic car" than historical replica. In fact my car has won show awards in the exotic class against the likes of Ferraris, Lambos and Corvettes. I've also driven it in ferocious Florida rainstorms and remained nice and dry. Most importantly, the wife likes riding it in and on pretty weekend days she'll be the one to bring up "Why don't we go for a "40 ride?"

-If you wish closer originality at a "reasonable" price point, SPF is the way to go. They have the linkage to the GT40 branding and are suitable for more venues if you wish to go historic racing. They are well built and If you have a passion for GT40 history a great option. I also think Rick appears to be a great dealer resource and that alone is worth it's weight in gold.

-I love the ERA GT40 and it's my favorite. But with ERA shuttering production and their limited availability, they are difficult to find and I wonder about long term parts and support availability.

-I've seen a RCR Superlight Coupe. It was beautiful and Fran appears to be a great support base and wealth of knowledge. Not having seen his '40, I really can't comment on it.

-If I wanted a track day/racer, I'd go with a Bailey. The one at the Daytona Historics last year was really impressive. With a lot of adjustability and a repairable space frame, it's a car I would not be fearful of pushing the limits on a track. The thought of repairing a CAV mono or SPF "original spec" crash damage is daunting. I hit the wall at Sebring last weekend in an SCCA club race so perhaps this is a little more of a concern than warranted.

-If I were to hit the statewide lottery, then I would obviously go with a Gelscoe or one of the Holman Moody MKIIs. I'm not sure how streetable they are but they would be fun to bring to a track or historic event. I'd let the mechanic worry about the damage and have supermodels serve refreshments. But such are flights of fantasy.

The best car is really the best one for you.

And I hope that my friend Jim Craik gets advertising royalties from AVON for the rolling billboard he's driving. ;)

Last edited:
Well thanks Pat! I am very happy with it!

I was down to ERA a couple of times, spent time with Peter and Teddy going over the final chassis. In the end, I never did get a price on it. I really suspect that maybe Peter was thinking of keeping the last for himself. They did have it adorned with a lot of cool stuff. Wyer front and rear flairs, Rt drive... and a set of gurney heads waiting on the shelf. Wish I knew what came of it! It was pretty much in line with Jim H's car. Which BTW is one sepctacular 40!

Lucky for you that Mumma likes to ride in the 40! Me, not so lucky in that respect! Mine doesn't care so much for the GT, but the Cobra is a different story! So... fortunate to have both! The Cobra BTW is an ERA!

I have driven an ERA GT, SPF and of course my CAV. You are dead on... the CAV offers tons of interior space for a considerably more comfortable ride!

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I think you guys are just a wee bit sensitive and missed on some of the sarcasm. That's what I'm thinking :)

Hey Mike... no sensitivity on my end! This has been a great debate, the sarcasm is what makes it entertaining, especially when someone lets it get under their skin! I just don't seem to have the witt you guys do! Honestly, I am honored to be a part of the special few here fortunate enough to own one of these things... regardless of what make it is!

Where, BTW, did you guys get those cool boots? :lol::lol:

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Those are not boots. Those are moccasins. If you were an SPF owner you would know that ;)

Pat

Supporter
Those are not boots. Those are moccasins. If you were an SPF owner you would know that ;)

LOL Classic! Well done sir!

No doubt the fine wine served at SPF events is a aged Barolo.

At CAV events we tend more towards bourbon-with a gentle aftertaste...

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
So a man goes to his doctor and tells him...

I'm a wigwam I'm a teepee

His doctor replies...

No, you're too tense!

Well thanks Pat! I am very happy with it!

I was down to ERA a couple of times, spent time with Peter and Teddy going over the final chassis. In the end, I never did get a price on it. I really suspect that maybe Peter was thinking of keeping the last for himself. They did have it adorned with a lot of cool stuff. Wyer front and rear flairs, Rt drive... and a set of gurney heads waiting on the shelf. Wish I knew what came of it! It was pretty much in line with Jim H's car. Which BTW is one sepctacular 40!

Lucky for you that Mumma likes to ride in the 40! Me, not so lucky in that respect! Mine doesn't care so much for the GT, but the Cobra is a different story! So... fortunate to have both! The Cobra BTW is an ERA!

I have driven an ERA GT, SPF and of course my CAV. You are dead on... the CAV offers tons of interior space for a considerably more comfortable ride!

Teddy fits on my ERA GT without the Gurney Bubble and I fit with a larger diameter than Teddy without issues. It is sad that ERA shut down production but GT are very hard to sell and costly to built. Specially since it is US built without any government subsidy. Volumes are very small and each customer whats custom changes increasing the cost and time. I have purchased 3 cars from ERA in the last 25 years and yes the wait were long but and the end it was worth it. The best GT is the one you can afford or get.

Jose,

Your GT was sitting next to Jim's when I was at ERA. Both are amazing cars!

Do you know what came of the last ERA Chassis?

Dave

Jose,

Your GT was sitting next to Jim's when I was at ERA. Both are amazing cars!

Do you know what came of the last ERA Chassis?

Dave

Thank you, but I disagree that both are amazing cars. Jimmy's GT sounds sick with Weber (Jim will not like my comments). Now on a serious note: Jim's car is more purist than mine. Wheels are correct, Gurney engine with Webers, Bell housing etc. I have bigger wheels to fit bigger brakes and the engine is larger with a single 4V. Both cars are nice to look and hear.

I know Peter delivered a GT a couple of weeks ago. I had lunch with him 3 weeks ago and I think he still has not delivered the last GT. I was at the shop on Easter and a few GT at different stages.

Thank you, but I disagree that both are amazing cars. Jimmy's GT sounds sick with Weber (Jim will not like my comments). Now on a serious note: Jim's car is more purist than mine. Wheels are correct, Gurney engine with Webers, Bell housing etc. I have bigger wheels to fit bigger brakes and the engine is larger with a single 4V. Both cars are nice to look and hear.

I know Peter delivered a GT a couple of weeks ago. I had lunch with him 3 weeks ago and I think he still has not delivered the last GT. I was at the shop on Easter and a few GT at different stages.

Alright now we can discuss webers vs a carb! :)

Pat

Supporter
To you MKII owners:
They are wonderful cars but whatever your other preferences, putting Webers in a MKII replica is only slightly more egregious than painting your MKII in Gulf colors. You might as well blow your nose on the curtains...

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
As should those who install an engine with more than an 8.2" deck height into a MkI ha

Rubbish I say

As should those who install an engine with more than an 8.2" deck height into a MkI ha

Rubbish I say

You might get rubbished for that remark, seem to remember a 'tall' deck block in the Mirage Mk1 style cars, you know the one with dropped combustion chamber heads.

Look at me....I'm running webers, my deck is more than 8.2 in, and I'm left hand drive....at least my Gulf-colored car isn't a Mark II (although I think they look particularly tough all gussied up that way).

As they say, "there's no account for taste."

Now pardon me, my wine cooler is getting warm.

Back