Chaparral

John,
The 2J was outlawed because it violated the rule outlawing "movable aerodynamic devices". The rule was primarially intended to eliminate the use of rear wings that were mounted to and applied downforce directly to the rear suspension uprights as well as wings which had their angle of attack adjustable by the driver. IFIRK, Chaparrel introduced both these innovations. The wing angle was adjusted by a foot pedal on the left (since they used automatic transmissions there was no clutch pedal there). McLaren (and others) used upright mounted wings as well untill they were banned. Another complaint against the 2J was due to the debris blown about by the ground effects fans. The 2J was actually loaned/given to Chaparrel by GM, having been originally been built as a "tire testing" vehicle. Aah, the perks of GMs back door racing, er excuse me, Engineering Development policy.

Not too long ago, Car & Driver magazine did an article on the Chaparrel series of cars, and a road test of one of the models with the wing they are currently producing for customers with big pocket books. I saw the article in the mag at my doctors office, so I do not have a reference to the month the article appeared. It was a well written story, and contained alot of nice photographs.

Anyone with interest to Chaparrels should do some research, and get a copy.

I took these pics at the Goodwwod Festival of Speed earlier this year. I guess the poeple in this post would appreciate them so here they are...

Attachments

• HPIM1870.JPG
    HPIM1870.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 612
  • HPIM1879.JPG
    HPIM1879.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 674

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
Speaking of Chaparrals...

2H
l_3c4da23916bc50750658d51999173c6f.jpg

2E
l_8745aeab2d1df5a835c800fd44473e33.jpg

l_5141b40ba3064b83bec19ecfeb9a5fba.jpg

2F (my favorite)
l_d768fd6a63a4b2c1efb4912a3e76ac41.jpg

l_e7ce4a8d05034eb075f31dd684aea726.jpg

l_2d9c92124953b09dbf512baaac336039.jpg

2D
l_4210237d3c08933908ed9758692bfc3b.jpg

l_88e7b7b4e2c05b6d33b1c610eb556881.jpg

And finally, me with my 2F (I wish)
l_f8b244069c743830afe83842062af806.jpg

Now all these were taken at the Texas Petroleum Museum & Chaparral Exhibit in Midland, Texas. I had to sweet talk the lady at the front desk to let me come in & take a look at the Chaparrals. She said, "Go ahead honey" and I ran outside and drug my girlfriend & her daughter into the exhibit. They were nice enough to let me have my way. On a side note, I'm 6'2" tall, these cars are LITTLE!!! LOL But God I want one!!

Laters,

Brian

Jim Hall is a truly inventive genius. All that is racing cars today, is due to the creativity of Mr. Hall, ie., wide low profile tires, aerodynamics, engine placement, composite construction materials, the list could go on and on. All are mere refinements of ideas pioneered by that great man from west Texas. Chris, you are doing a fabulous job with your 2D, could we have some pictures of things (suspension, engine bay) underneath that pretty skin. By the way, are there any 2H fans out there. What would have happened if Jim had not gotten in that crash with Lothar Motschenbacher in Vegas, and had been able to sort out its problems with the 2H himself rather than needing to rely on John Surtees and his ego.

Last edited:
By "engine placement" do you mean mid-engined? I thought the modern era of mid-engined cars started with the Coopers. The story goes that Cooper wanted to build a budget open wheeler so they used a Vincent motorcycle engine and this forced them to put the engine behind the driver. They soon realized that they were onto a good thing, so they contracted Jack Brabham to apply the concept to an F1 car and the rest as they say is history.

Chris, I was there that day at Bridgehampton pit crewing for Sam Posey, and I was also saying; "What the ?". It was truly an amazing day. I only got a few pictures.
I met Jill Hall a few years later working on Graham McRae's F5000 car. Jim was doing his magic to Brian Redman's Lola back then. I liked all the Chaparrals!

anyone seen what bridgehampton looks like now? I was very lucky to be able to race there in the 80s when it was very dilapidated. it was like going to the desert. luckily, i seemed to be able to negotiate the potholes, washboard entering the carousel, and ripples and bumps everywhere else better than most, and took home a bunch of trophies. that was AFTER losing the tip of my thumb in the pits.

I made the mistake of "google earth"-ing a picture of what is now the bridgehampton golf course. it was heartbreaking. dont do it.

The community, 99% of which didnt exist when "The Bridge" was in its heyday, created problems for the track and helped push it out of existence. imagine moving in next to an airport today and getting them to close it because you didnt like noise "on any sunday."

E!

:sad:

Ron Earp

Admin
imagine moving in next to an airport today and getting them to close it because you didnt like noise "on any sunday."

E!

:sad:

Happens quite frequently, unfortunately.

America's general aviation airports are in trouble all across the land. Just about every state has GA closings because of new communities and what not. Just one example local to me here in North Carolina is Horace Williams airport near Chapel Hill. It will be shut down due to community pressure after 77 years of operation.

Heck, Lime Rock can't run races on Sunday due to community issues. I'm sure there are other examples.

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
Do ya'll wanna know where Rattle Snake Raceway is? Jim Hall's personal test track? I can show you...

Enter this into google maps as your "To Location"...

E CR-150 @31.917310, -102.045480

Zoom in and that's it. You can find many MANY more old tracks here...

Race Tracks

Laters,

Brian

Back