Comp cams tech bulletin

In the latest issue of Engine Masters, they posted a tech article on flat tappet cam breakin which has some info that all of us could use, even the roller guys. It is worth a read.
1885385Techbulletin1.jpg

1885387Techbulletin2.jpg

Sorry about the quality. If anyone wants, I will scan and send along.
BTW the engine masters is now a regular published mag on the newstand. They are part of the Popular Hot Rodding magazine family. The seies of competitions they have put on over the last 4 years has grown to be the premier engine building competition in the U. S. They started out with small blocks and have worked their way up to the big blocks last year. Next year the competion will be based on cubic inches that will create a competiton of the small blocks against the big blocks. It will be an interesting competion. It starts in March and ends in Oct. at World Products. The rules are very tight to foster competition between the various makes of engines. The figures that they shoot for is not peak HP or Torque, but AVG. H P and Torque of 3 seperate pulls between 2500 and 6000 RPM, and they have to run on 92 octane as well. Over the last four years they have highlighted the best of the builders and how they built their engines for those that wanted to build similar. You could also go to the builder and get him to build you one, but you can imagine the cost. The winner of year 2 and 3 and almost 4 was Jon Kaase of Winder Ga. right down the street form me. He used to be big in Ford's R & D, but now works out of his basement producing his own heads. He has since entered into a deal with JEGS to sell his brand. If you can get hold of ome of the back issues(used to be quarterly) you can catch up on their competitions. Anyone building an engine would find a similar engine in one of the competitons.

Bill

Bill

Ron Earp

Admin
You can avoid that entirely using a roller cam! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Good info to know and something I would have not thought about. But seriously, do folks still build Ford SBs ngines and not use rollers? I've not considered anything but since the early 80s. If you want a solid cam use a solid roller, hydraulic use a hydraulic roller, but it looks to me the advantages of a roller cam are many - ramp rates and profile (and they still work with flat tappet specs), low friction, and are extremely durable, even the stock pieces from Ford hold up well.

R

Ron, some of us old guys like the sound of solid lifers,just a little blast of the past some of us retro guys can't live with out on a hi-po motor.

Ron Earp

Admin
My roller lifters are solid as well - and the car will still make all the "proper" old school noises (which I am inclined toward until the Farm Engines come up) without the hp robbing friction and staying with the old solid flat tappet ramp rates and profiles.

Back