Comparison Between Ford GT & Ferrari

Hi all,
A recent survey so that a Car and Driver magazinetest driver drove a Ford GT from0-60 mph in 3.3 seconds. Car and Driver also recorded aquarter-mile time of 11.6 seconds at 128 mph. In the same test, Ferrari's $193,000 Challenge Stradale took four seconds to reach 60 mph and was 0.8 second and 13 mph slower through the quarter-mile.

Keith

Le Mans all over again!!!

Was the GT40 and original or replica. Also it would be really cool to know what motor and trans....

Was there a comparision in the twisty bits? If so, I could see the Ferrari being superior here, if only for the brakes...

yeah, but this is just a straight line time. i would be more interested in seeing lap times around a road course considering that particular (or any for that matter) ferrari was designed more for track performance.....

reminds me of when people in mustangs try to race me down orchard lake road......

Well the original Ford GT40 was designed and built to beat Ferrari... and the newer Ford GT had the same aspirations.

I'm not sure with the lap times... really, the F430 handles extremely well (very light goes where you point it) i expect the Stradale to be much the same... but i've not driven the Ford GT so i can't comment on the comparison.

I know on the Top Gear test track, the GT beat the standard F430 by a second, but it only beat the older F360 CS by 0.4 so if the newer F430 CS is as good as they say then i'd be putting my money on that.. after all Ferrari reckon the F430 CS is as fast, if not faster around Fiorano as a Ferrari Enzo... which beat the Ford GT by nearly 3 seconds.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Who cares?

Just bragging rights for which ever comes out on top. Only relevant if you're looking to buy either to go unmodified production sportscar racing.

No-one, not even a top race driver, is ever going to drive these things at ten tenths on the average public highway. Joe Public's ability is lacking and the race driver has got more brains (or should have).

Just my $.02.

Cheers

The average person doesn't even know what a GT is, and if they see one, they immediately think it is "exotic", which means Lambo or Ferrari (being the only exotic car companies on Earth). They certainly aren't going to know the difference between a 360, a Challenge Stradale, a 430, and a Scuderia.

The GT was built with the 360 in mind, and it will outperform it in virtually every area. The CS is a very special car, and if you like Ferrari, it doesn't get much better. It has wonderful performance, but that is not really the point. And straight line acceleration is not the point either. It is a very race-car-like car, much more a modern GT40 than a GT.

The 430 is a better comparison, and they have similar performance. I have read a few comparisons by folks that have owned both and they are still very different cars, both special in their own way. But Russ is right... what's the point? Bragging rights? I always wonder what is supposed to happen at the end of tests like these. Is everyone with the slower car supposed to hang their head and trade the slow car in on the fast car? If you knew a Ferrari (insert model here) would outrun your 40, I doubt you would sell it and start saving for a "real" car...

J. Salmon,

You make a good point about the reason people are attracted to a certain car, especially when talking about the Ford GT (and GT40s for that matter).

Regardless of the reason for liking the GT (and/or GT40), everyone has their own reason for liking the car. Everyone is an induvidual, and I doubt anyone will jump ship because someone gives more credit for some other car that is compared to a GT. The GT40 is over fourty years old, but anyone looking at it today would find something that they would like about it, and the same thing would apply to the Ford GT.

Whatever clicks your clock, I am a true Ford Guy. I can say that when the new Ford GT came out, I did not like it at all.......but I have now warmed up to its styling and features, and I can say I have done a 180.....and if I came upon a ton of money, would seek out a Red car without stripes.....nothing like having first hand knowledge about comparion information!!!!!

Cheers,:pepper::pepper:rockonsmile

From what I've seen and heard, the 430 will eek it's nose out ahead of the GT in the twisties but fall behind in a drag race and top speed run. Top speed on the 430 is about 198 while on the GT I believe it's 212 - at those kind of speeds the delta is pretty small and insignificant for most folks but for speed hounds it's meaningful. As much as I like ferrari's, I'll take the GT thanks. My hope is that Ford starts to turn a profit and stay in business as a successful global company and in so doing be a continuing support structure for the brand and many great past and present Ford products including the wonderful GT.

Is their anyone out there that has a GT40, and had the opportunity to drive a Ford GT? It would be nice to have someone that was lucky enough to do so, that might like to post comparison information between the two cars.

I would be interested in the overall ride qualities, gear shift/clutch, speed in gears (torque), acceleration, and if the comparo info was done on the same roads.

Anyone out there that owns both? If so, my hats off to you......lucky guy!

I know some guys who own both, F430 and Ford GT, another a 360 Modena and Ford GT. I own a F430 manual shifter and if the Ford GT is faster I really don't care, I don't need a faster car, seriously. The F430 is faster than my skills and I don't want to crash it, go to jail, get someone hurt or worse. It's easy to build a car to beat one that is already out there, even Ford had some 360 Modenas and studied the hell out of their design. I know of some mechanics who have worked on both cars and they said the Ford was very 360 like on some things...
On the other hand I met someone who has almost owned every single exotic built in the last decade including the Enzo, Veyron, SLR, Carrrera GT, 360 CS, Murcielago, LP640, Gallardo Superleggera many 360s and 430s with a 430 Scuderia incoming... This guy said that the Ford GT was a piece of crap, so he leaves me wondering if he is just a poseur, I don't take his word as one with wisdom and lets just say that an owner has an opinion, but that is just that. The only way is for one to drive them and appreciate the great cars that they all are. I like very very much the GT40 and the Ford GT including well built replicas of the GT40. And that Ferrari was beaten by the GT40, oh well everybody loses at some time. In Daytona Ferrari took 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

I have never driven or even ridden in a Ford GT or an original GT40. I do occasionally drive my 1989 Ferrari 348. It is way slower than the Ford GT, or even a modern Mustang (in a straight line), but I enjoy it anyway. I personally like the new Ford GT, and think it is a great thing that Ford has done in making an excellent modern interpretation of one of their greatest cars ever! The design is slick, and very robust. It kind of reminds me of a Pantera, but with much better detailing and aero work. IF I had a 360 CS and got beat in a straight line by a new GT would that bother me? No! I'd still be happy with my Ferrari and happy for the guy that chooses the GT. That's why there is chocolate and vanilla... Just my 2 Lira...
:D
BT

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi all
IMHO for me it was a case of loving the style and lines of the 40 and the fact that you can not just go down the road and buy one.

If I was to have a 40 then it would have to be built and would become my personal statement and not just something that rolled off a production line that was no different to the one before or after.

At the end of the day I have a car that is totally unique and personal and I am satisfied.

Dimi

Gordo

Lifetime Supporter
I’m lucky to own a Ford GT. She’s got about 2,000 track miles on her. It’s a truly wonderful car. Docile to the point that Grandma could go to the store for a quart of milk in it. But, get on it and it’s right there. With torque to twist your nuts off. I have a nice assortment of high performance vehicles (old and new) but the Ford takes the cake. I don’t have an “F” car so can’t make a direct comparison. I have instructed several students in Ferrari’s and I must say I respect them. They handle, brake well and have that wonderful Italian aura about them. Like Sophia Loren or Valentino Rossi.

I’m not sure you can make a direct comparison other than academic statistics. How could you do this with a nice wine or an attractive girlfriend? The fact is, they are all great in their own way. I took the FGT (Heritage edition) to l recent F Club event in North Carolina – it had more attention than the Enzo. She’s a beaut…”get ‘em while they’re hot…”. :chug:

Gordo.

This may be slightly off the thread but has anyone noticed the similarity between the "old" GT 40 and the F40 LM ?

Iain

Gordo

Lifetime Supporter
Iain -

Good observation! There is a similarity between the two cars. Somewhere on YouTube there is a clip I posted chasing an F40 in my 911 in the mountains of NC at a rally last year. Great fun...but that is one very large car!

G.

Back