Considering an SLC build

Hello everyone,

I am considering an SCL build. It will be mostly a street build, but for occasional track days. I will probably never use it for competition. I am mostly considering the build for the sake of building a car (so I can tell the cop that just pulled me over that I have touched every single bolt) but also to have a really cool car that does not cost $3M. :) I am an okay fabricator, but I have never worked on cars all that much, and never for fun. Also, it seem reasonable to say that if the car's performance is around a 10, the driver's performance will be close to 2. This will be a ~lot~ more car than I can actually use.

So the reason I am posting here is to see if anyone has an opinion about what I am planning to do. (I know, right?)

I am thinking of using a fairly new WRX/STI drive train and chassis computer. Since my pony target is only around 400HP, this seems like a smart choice. It's not very expensive, though I am not really trying to save money, and very easy to source. It's also a pretty light option. I will probably get a wrecked WRX or two from copart to source a lot of stuff. I don't need or want a stereo, but I do want sound deadening and carpet. Air and heat are an absolute requirement.

Waddaya think? Does this sound like a good plan? Anyone have sage advise?

This is why we build these things. You will hit obstacles, get frustrated, and lose money along the way. I can't imagine taking on a build, other than for fun because it's in your blood.

Oh ya. I have never worked on cars for fun. It's always been "I gotta get this fixed before I go to bed so I can go to work tomorrow" kind of wrenching. Not that much fun in my view... :)

That having been said, I make stuff. All kinds of stuff. I forge edged tools and roses, make flutes, cast aluminum and brass, operate several kinds of CNC, operate a manual mill or lathe, write software, and a bunch of other stuff. Making stuff is in my blood for sure. It's who I am and what I live for.

Building a car is a significant project and I am very excited about it. I have been researching it for well over a year now. I looked at FFR cars and I like the 818, but the quality of their kits looks pretty terrible and I hate the idea of destroying one car to make another. I looked at Ultima. Very, very nice kits, but they are in England. Also, Ultima is a little stuffy about using different power plants, and I really like the Subaru setup for a lot of reasons. I looked at others, too. All of these cars are very fast but Superlite SLC seems to be the best choice for me. I thought about the Superlite GT-R, but I really like the look of the SLC better for the statement that is makes.

Last edited:

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Hav a look at Jim’s car and how much he did………stunning especiallu
y in the opinion the bodywork Lots and lots of hours of work.

Ian

Back