Coolant leak

What is the best way to drain the radiator as the drain petcocks are high and the hoses are low.. How do you refill it. I think I have a cracked radiator and want to remove it to check it and not have 4 gallons of coolant on the floor. Obviously, I cheated and did not build the car myself. Thank for suggestions.

Tony,
Very carefully!!!!

Really need to know what you have(brand). Then we might know what kind of construction you are working with. Then answers should be forth coming.

Bill

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Hi

On my GT I had the same problem.

I jacked the car up on axle stands. Rear slightly higher than front
Got a bucket and a narrow syphon pipe.
I drained as much as I could from header tank
Then I removed bleed air take off bolt in the top of the radiator
Put syphon tube through the bleed hole and start draining the fluid. Get second bucket and continue.

Take care the fluid tastes terrible!

Probably lost about two pints that I could not syphon out

Ian

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
What is the best way to drain the radiator....

This following doesn't help you this time around, but if you have a heater hose down low in the front you can put a Tee in and put a plugged hose one the end of the Tee, with the hose long enough so the hose reaches out far enough to empty into a pan or some such. Then when you want to drain just pull the plug.

Regaring your current situation, how about raising the front a little and then disconnected a hose from one of the center pipes at the rear, with a pan underneath?

Back