Dean's SLC build thread

Is there a trick to spraying on bedliner? I'm making splash panels and spraying it (duplicolor bed armor) and it is a @#$#@ SOB to do - the can clogs every few seconds and likes to puke out gobs of it randomly.

Alex buy a rocker panel air gun made for doing just that way easier and does a nice job of it. They don't cost much but you will need a compressor and lots of newspaper.

Thanks - I can't believe how FRICKEN impossible it is to spray the bed armour. I've never run into anything as infuriating as this product.

Thanks for the tip - I bought some and it sprayed on perfectly evenly. The can didn't kick and clog every 2 seconds and I didn't spend 1/4 of the can fighting it to try to make it work. That duplicolor bed armor is pure CRAP, I don't know how they can justify making it.

I had a gas leak at the track and the fuel was running out around the Sparco filler and down the car. I called Fran from the track for a quick fix. He suggested I push some fuel cell foam down the filler neck to control the slosh. That worked pretty good but I needed to fix the problem permanently.

When I put the car together I didn't use a gasket between the fiberglass and the outer Sparco fuel assembly so I took it all back apart. I bought some gasket cork and made a new gasket for the inside and the outside. I didn't take any pictures of this because it's pretty straight forward. If you haven't done this, you will leak. Just a heads up.

Now, after I had a few laps over a few days the paint around the filler was getting scraped up by the rear clam. I know some would say, "It's a race car, thats going to happen". Well, not on my car!

What I needed was something to protect the paint from these two fiberglass pieces as they rub together. I went into my wife's craft room and "borrowed" some black felt. I used headliner spray glue and put it on the rear clam. I think this will solve the problem. After all, you need to look as good in the pits as you do on the track!:thumbsup:

IMG_0662.jpg

When I put the car together I didn't use a gasket between the fiberglass and the outer Sparco fuel assembly so I took it all back apart. I bought some gasket cork and made a new gasket for the inside and the outside. I didn't take any pictures of this because it's pretty straight forward. If you haven't done this, you will leak. Just a heads up.

OK - I'll put my hand up as the dummy in the room. Since I have not seen my fuel cap assy for a bit (stored away) and don't remember the fit details - can you post a picture of what you did?

Thanks.

PS is that a McMaster procured screen in your engine lid vents?

I had a gas leak at the track and the fuel was running out around the Sparco filler and down the car. I called Fran from the track for a quick fix. He suggested I push some fuel cell foam down the filler neck to control the slosh. That worked pretty good but I needed to fix the problem permanently.

Now, after I had a few laps over a few days the paint around the filler was getting scraped up by the rear clam. I know some would say, "It's a race car, thats going to happen". Well, not on my car!

What I needed was something to protect the paint from these two fiberglass pieces as they rub together. I went into my wife's craft room and "borrowed" some black felt. I used headliner spray glue and put it on the rear clam. I think this will solve the problem. After all, you need to look as good in the pits as you do on the track!:thumbsup:

IMG_0662.jpg

Good idea. This is just one area on the car that needs similar attention. Other approaches might include using 3M clear film over the spider, but for this area, I like your solution better.

3M also makes a closed cell 1/8" rubberized foam tape that works great for gaskets and can be used to pervent rubbing on close contacting panels.

Mesa,

The fuel cap assembly has an outer and an inner flange that bolt together sandwiching the spider in between.

In this picture you see the outer with the allen head bolts. So when it is assembled, you would have the inner neck that attaches to the rubber fill hose, the gasket, the fiberglass spider, the outer gasket than the piece you see in this picture.

The 8 bolts go through all the pieces and hold it all together.

IMG_0663.jpg

There's really not much difference. I have a Lexan windshield, no dash and no headlights. You could easily add that and run on the street. I just like the look of a race car and went that direction knowing that I would really never want to run on the street. I live in a pretty rural area and the roads are a little "less Flat" than in the city!

I don't know about City's either our roads are worse then anything Iraq has even after the Shock and Awe lol. These pic's are are typ of most of our streets around here.

Attachments

• Edmonton pot holes 1.jpg
    Edmonton pot holes 1.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 613
  • Edmonton pot holes 2.jpg
    Edmonton pot holes 2.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 573
I don't know about City's either our roads are worse then anything Iraq has even after the Shock and Awe lol. These pic's are are typ of most of our streets around here.

Our roads arn't any better down here with all the stupid frost heaves and whatnot. I have nightmares about driving my car on the road and the damage it's probably going to take .... I get mad jelly seeing the shape of the roads in a lot places in the US :/

Back