dely shut off relay

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
ian
I would guess (but it is a guess) that turning on the ignition would "reset" the timer. I think they time from when the ignition is "off".

Richard,
You are correct. With the turn of the ignition switch to the off position it will start the timer. When started again the 87A terminal will be activated and the process waits til tuned off again. It only wants the current to 87A to be interrupted to start the timer. It is possible that the timer will count down, but the active terminal(87A) will/should close(or keep closed) the switch in the timer. This is all on the suposition that the switch is tied into the ignition switch... If not (hot all the time switch) it won't do anything.
If the first of these events didn't work this way the switch(timer) would be backward, and turn the fans off with the car running!!

Bill

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Quick question on these "run on" timers

Drive up to traffic lights and have a blonde moment and stall the car
Switch off ignition, then turn on again and crank it over (Ignition switch will not allow to move to "crank" position to avoid cranking with a running engine)- will the "run on " sequence be put in motion or will it work as it is being driven?

Ian

Wow, now thats one for the books. I can crank my engine even if its running, NOT that I would but its possible.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Their drawing implies that if you are not using one of the trigger inputs you can just leave it unconnected. Open pins make me nervous, so I would probably wire it to +12 just to be safe. The consquences of some "noise" triggering the thing is that your fan runs when it shouldn't, so I suppose it's no big deal (unless of course your hand is in there at the time). OTOH, you don't know how much current it's drawing through that input.

The data sheet for this product should, but does not, provide information that would allow you to make that decision rationally, such as the input resistance of the input, the trigger treshold, etc. I've requested that info and if I get a useful answer I'll post it.

I did finally get a specification on the inputs to the Waytek Wire delay relays:

"Products:
VCM-01
VCM-02
VCM-03
VCM-04
VCM-OS
VCM-10

Vehicle Control Module (VCM) Input Technical Specifications

• Input Terminal 87A contains a 10 K Ohm resistor pulled to ground.
  • Input Terminal 87 contains a 10 K Ohm resistor pulled to + 12 volts.
  • Both inputs 87A and 87 are monitored with a 10 bit converter that has an input impedence >10 Meg Ohm.
  • The measured voltage at inputs 87A and 87 are integrated for noise reduction and have trip points of 4 volts and 2 volts for a hysterisis of 2 volts.
  • For Input 87A a voltage of >4.0 volts is true and <2.0 volts is false.
  • For Input 87 a voltage of <2.0 volts is true and >4.0 volts is false."
Also, by the way, Waytek Wire does not make these units. They are made by InPower and relabled as Waytek.

http://inpowerllc.com/vehiclecontrolmodules_timedelayrelays.php

Back