Did Lance wreck his SPF 40?

I guess most of us are a little insane then. I put about 10K miles a year on a Cobra replica now and intend on driving my GT40 on the street once it is completed as well. I tend to think of my toy cars as being 4 wheeled motorcycles. I drive a motorcycle as well.

Glad to hear no one was hurt in the accident.

O.K. Thanks for clearing that up. I would say that Lance is a very, very lucky man indeed. Its good to know that the SPF 40 can take such a hit and have the passengers walk away unhurt.

Mike

Back "in the day" the GT40 was considered to have been an exceptionally strong, and somewhat heavy for the period, design by Ford's engineers back in Dearborn by the long-timers in international sports-racing in Ford's racing effort. Those that raced the car considered themselves well-protected, compared to most contemporary sports-racing cars.

Last edited:

charlie c

Lifetime Supporter
I saw what remains of Lance's car up close last week.... it was utterly mangled, with a tree-shaped crater front and center that extended rearward all the way to the fake dry sump. The windshield was, I believe, cracked, but basically intact. The doors were a little askew, and the car had been rear-ended as well, I believe right after the missed shift.

Interestingly, the front wheels were both there and basically pointed in the right direction, although the area between them was empty space!

Thanks for the update. Again, its good to know these cars will allow you to walk away (possibly) after a crash.
Mike

Back