DIY AN Hose Testing

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Having made up some hoses with the usual Aeroquip fittings I was looking around for a way to test them for pressure and leakage without spending $thousands.

I already had a Summit Racing 221000 "Pressure Test Kit"

sum-221000_w.jpg

which contains a pair of AN male plugs in each size, where one of that pair has been drilled 1/8" NPT for a supplied schrader valve (like on a tire). The idea is that you plug both ends of your hose with these, and then pump it up with air to see if it leaks. That's OK as far as it goes, but it's not suitable for serious and safe pressure testing for a number of reason, the primary one being that such a hose pumped full of pressurised air with metal fittings on each end is a supremely dangerous thing. To do this right, we need to fill the hose with a non-compressible fluid and (by Aeroquip's advice) pressurize to double our expected working pressure for half an hour. For a typical oil system that's ~150 PSI. at least.

I researched hydraulic pressure testers and noticed that their core pump resembles the one in my $99 Harbor Freight clone of what is commonly called a "PortaPower" (a hydraulic pump along with a couple rams and a variety of fittings used for applying larges amounts of force to, say, straighten some bodywork).

HF 44899.jpg

This looked like a good start; the main issue would be how to connect that pump to the AN plug with 1/8" NPT hole.
On a "real" PortaPower, the pump connects to the ancillary devices with a hydraulic screw-type quick-connect fitting from the the Parker 3000 series. Specfically, the female fitting which goes on device receiving fluid is a 3050-2. The male fitting that goes only on the pump, is a 3010-2. These fitting screw into their devices via 1/4" NPT threads.

femaleportapowerf2.jpg maleportapowerball2.jpg

(Adapters Inc part numbers:
PORTAPOWER-BALL-04-04-C 1/4 Female x 1/4 NPT Male Threads $10.43
PORTAPOWER-BALL-04-04-N 1/4 Male x 1/4 NPT Female Threads $6.86.
Adapters Inc. has a $50 minimum order)

The HF version uses a smaller version of that fitting that I was not able to identify or source. So, having found both genders of the Parker 3000 fittings on Adaptersinc.com for a reasonable price, I ordered one male and four females, the intention being to convert over my HF set to the Parker fittings and leave aside two females to use with my favorite sizes of AN plugs from the Summit kits.

Also wanting to monitor the pressures being applied I purchased a 1,000 PSI pressure gauge wiht 1/4" NPT neck from McMaster-Carr, and a female-on-the-run 1/4" NPT Tee to mount it in (Aeroquip AQP hose is rated to 1,000 PSI).

After having switched in the Parker fittings in three places in the HF kit and verifying it still worked, I assembled the gauge to the side port of the tee, 1/4"-1/8" NPT reducer to the output side, and a female Parker fitting to the input side.

917K62-120x80.jpg 3846k326.gif 50785K222L.gif

I then plugged one end of a previously untested 8AN hose with a blank plug and a "test" plug, the test plug got the output end of the assembled Tee, the Tee got connected to the pump output fitting. With the plugs installed finger tight, it leaked hydraulic fluid as expected. With the plug fittings properly tightend after bleeding the air out of the hose, I was easily able with wrist-effort to apply 300 lb and walk away for 30 minutes.
Aside from the $99 for HF "portapower", which I already owned and is a very useful tool in and of itself, the rest of this cost about $75.

A few side notes:
  • Adaptersinc.com is a part of Murdoch Industrial, which also operates Aeroquip.cc. The latter is useful to know about since they sell genuine Aeroquip Performance fittings for around the price that Summit sells clone fittings. They also carry Aeroquip's industrial line which are often cheaper still although usually made of steel.
  • It's too late for me, but if anyone can figure out what the HF quick-connect fittings are, I'd love to know. They're similar in concept to the Parker 3000 series, but rather than a 1" OD thread, they are about 0.8" OD. If we had a source for those the HF kit could go unmodified and we'd need to buy only one female quick connect fitting. Of course you could just sacrifice one of your rams and not buy any fittings.
  • If you don't want to pay $90 for the entire Summit plug kit you have several alternatives: you can buy individual single-size pairs by Fragola for $10-20, or roll your own by buying the pair of plugs and drilling and tapping a 1/8" NPT hole in one of them. In fact, you could save yourself a reducer by tapping 1/4" NPT, although I have seen and purchased 1/8" NPT versions of the Parker fittings on Ebay. McMaster also sells aluminum AN/JIC plugs for $2-10 each. (2227K51 and its larger siblings).

Last edited:

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
The level of creativity here never ceases to amaze me! I fully believe we could engineer a moon shot with the combined brainpower on GT40s.com! (note, not MY brain, it has been well and truly spent)

Last edited:

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Alan, that was very useful and well presented.

I owe this community a lot.

BTW, I forgot to mention that removing the 1/4" NPT fitting from the HF pump was an absolute B---H. I had to abuse the hex end of the hose in a vice and it was only after about 10 sec. of full throttle impact wrench that it finally started moving. The other ones, however, came out witih normal wrench force.

Also, I just went out and checked my test hose and ~17 hrs. later it's sitting there reading 200 PSI. And that leakage is likely the valve in the pump. Maybe later I'll put on a rain coat and pump it to 1,000 PSI. :stunned:

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
On a "real" PortaPower, the pump connects to the ancillary devices with a hydraulic screw-type quick-connect fitting from the the Parker 3000 series. Specfically, the female fitting which goes on device receiving fluid is a 3050-2. The male fitting that goes only on the pump, is a 3010-2. These fitting screw into their devices via 1/4" NPT threads.

View attachment 52513 View attachment 52514

(Adapters Inc part numbers:
PORTAPOWER-BALL-04-04-C 1/4 Female x 1/4 NPT Male Threads $10.43
PORTAPOWER-BALL-04-04-N 1/4 Male x 1/4 NPT Female Threads $6.86.
Adapters Inc. has a $50 minimum order)

The HF version uses a smaller version of that fitting that I was not able to identify or source. So, having found both genders of the Parker 3000 fittings on Adaptersinc.com for a reasonable price, I ordered one male and four females, the intention being to convert over my HF set to the Parker fittings and leave aside two females to use with my favorite sizes of AN plugs from the Summit kits.

Well I have good news, but it's embarrassing. It didn't occur to me until just now that you can buy parts for Harbor Freight stuff from Harbor Freight, it's cheap, and they deliver fast.

So all that crap above about the Parker 3000 series fittings is irrelevant. All you need is a coupler assembly from an HF 44899. It's a big $8.

If you look at the parts lists in the back of the 44899 manual the couipler is listed as parts 1A trhough 4A, but the order taker will tell you it's all one coupler assembly.

This is why my SPF never gets finished.... every time I think I've finished something I think of a better way....

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
The origins of Porto Power....

And here's the rest of the story....

The "original" hydraulic kit is called Porto-Power (note the "O") and is a sub-brand under Blackhawk Automotive which in turn is a brand of Shinn Fu America. The couplers are shown in this mfr. catalog:
http://www.shinnfuamerica.com/Temp/882.pdf

and on page 75 you will see the couplers carry part numbers and threads as follows:

Ram-Half: B69478
Hose-Half: B69477
Thread 1/4″ NPT
Coupler Connecting Thread 13/16″- 20 UNEF

The Ram Half is what you want, and if you google "B69478 coupler" you'll find them for sale all over the place, even at Amazon (Amazon.com: COUPLER FOR RAM: Home Improvement) for around $15.

But Harbor Freight is still the cheap way to get them at ~$8.

Now all I gotta do is find some use for my $75 worth of Parker 3000 couplers... sigh...

Back