Door Straps

What are you guys using to keep the doors from swinging wide open? I think someone once said they were using an old seatbelt. Any trick ideas you are willing to share?

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Pat,

We use seatbelt material. We cover it with the same material that the interior of the car is trimmed with (leather or vynal) and sandwitch it between two aluminium plates at both ends. The outside aluminium panel we stretch the alumnium to cup the strap on three sides (covers the rough edges). The straps are secured to the steel plates behind the dash sides and the other side is secured to the door.

These straps will stretch so should allow the door only to open slightly less than the 90 degrees.

I hope this helps, give me a call if I can be of any further help,

Best wishes,

Robert

Ref europaspares, that is exactly what I used, and I got it from there. I couldn't find it on the website, but it is in the catalogue. I think the website has improved a great deal very recently. Perhaps they are still adding items.

Malcolm

Supporter
Door check straps are very important! These seem to be another consumable item to! I used originally the GTD supplied ones which worked just fine but are no longer available. Now I use the leather ones mentioned above and recommend them. As Robert says, use backing plates to spread the load.

Touch wood, I have never yet managed to have my rear deck blow open at speed. My achiles heel on this is not making sure the doors are properly shut! Whilst towing the car on a trailer at about 65 mph the doors will suck open if not firmly shut. Each time this has happened the door check straps have held the door from smashing itself to peices as it flies open. The check straps don't like it and need replacing afterwards but it saves a lot of expense on door bodywork.

So how many times do I need to trash my check straps before I will learn to thoroughly check the doors are shut? Ooops...

When towing I allways tape down the doors... can't guarantee the doors still won't fly open but it affords some comfort. Malc refuses to do same as he can not find any sticky tape in the correct shade of Gulf blue!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Red cars do have their advantages. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
[ QUOTE ]
Leather !

[/ QUOTE ]
Wasn't she a very cute rock singer in the late 60's??

Attachments

• 31328-bw3t.jpg
    31328-bw3t.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 390
Back