Emissions Compliance - Australia

Kevin Box

Supporter
Some time in the future I am going to have my car certified and quite frankly the thought scares the crap out of me.

My engine is a Long rod 351W with Brodix Track 1s and Hillbourne intake modifed for EFI.
As I am in the process of finishing the machining I was wondering where I should head with this to get it certified. Bottom end is all finished -zero deck flat tops etc
My questions are

HEADS.

Currently my heads are 68cc which uncut would yield about 9.5:1. should I leave them at this or head to my planned 64 cc which should yield about 10.2:1 with flatops and zero deck. Valves are 2.08 / 1.6. The other option is to use a set of 5.0 HO heads or possibly iron GT40 heads just for certifiaction and swap them later.

CAM

The Cam I plan to run is 238@050 and .560 lift Hydraulic roller. I realise this is bit of an ask to get through cert with so was thinking of using a stock 5.0 HO cam just for certification. Is this a good choice or does anyone think I could make it through cert with the 238 cam ??

Intake (Hilbourne)

I am basically running an IR manaifold which should not be an issue - I would appreciate comment if anyone has had issues geting a cert with this type manifold . - Really should be no different than IDA replica throttle bodies. The other option is certify it with Cobra R (351W) type manifold but dont think I should have too.

Headers.

My headers will be the usual GT40 style bunch of bananas and had planned to end up with 1 3/4 primaries and 3 1/2 inch collectors and mufflers. In Aust I expect I'll have to run cats but have no idea where to head with this . Suggestions very welcome.

Brain

Being electronics engineer has its benefits so have this one handled OK. The only thing will be to get enough dyno time to do an emissions legal setup and also one that makes it sing.

Any relevent thoughts would be most welcome.

Thanks Guys

KB

Kevin,
what sort of figures do you need to make for Aus emission regs, if anything like the UK you will have a lot of work to do with your set up.
The Brodix TR1 won't work with 9.5 comp, emissions or not, which TR 1s do you have? we try to run them nearer 11.1, but what octane gas do you have.
What lobe separation does your cam have? This has a huge effect on IR engines for emissions.
Lots of other issues but it's turned 2 o'clock here in the UK and I'm off to bed !
Mike

Kevin Box

Supporter
Mike

Heads are Brodix T1F -X as far as I know. They came as part of some other stuff I bought on Trademe in NZ. Pics attached. I am intrigued by the word DIRT cast into all of the ports ???
As yet they are uncut
I was planning on port aligning / cleanup without too much increase in size. Polish chambers and then set Compression ratio.

Gas - 98RON (sold here as PULP Premium unleaded) and 95 RON

Cam is on 109 centres

JacMac

With all the crap getting it here, it crossed my mind more than a couple of times !!

KB

Attachments

• 04062010118.jpg
    04062010118.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 240
  • 04062010119.jpg
    04062010119.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 245
  • 04062010120.jpg
    04062010120.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 222
  • 04062010124.jpg
    04062010124.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 230
  • 04062010125.jpg
    04062010125.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 253
Kevin,

I am in a similar position, intending to fit a 351W. Locally we are required to comply with IM240, a set of measurements for the various output gases. The test is performed in NSW, for free!!!

Normally a 351 would not have an icicles hope in hell of coming close to complying, but I am advised that by using a Zero overlap cam, and modern programable computing systems, with state of the art catalytic converter, and very accurate exhaust gas sensors, a pass is probable. It was only on this advice that I restarted work on my car.

The whole question of these strict current standards being imposed on ICV's is a can of worms. The same motor in a hot rod would sail through in standard 1980's trim. And don't start me on the amount of exhaust generated by one Boeing on takeoff compared to an ICV over a year.

Kevin Box

Supporter
Clive

A couple of the guys in SA have been through with a ADR compliant 5.0 (AU11 or later) and stock EFI and then changed them out later.
I would rather do it properly if I can with only a cam change if i have to do anything.
Zero deck and good heads should in theory help this pass but not sure of compression etc.
Any advise is helpful.

KB

Kevin,
sorry but havn't a clue what your emisions regs mean, they look like our Euro specs which do not apply to UK low volume cars, only large scale manufactures. On that basis I think you will be in trouble with your motor.

Your heads are Brodix "Spec" heads, built for a particular oval track sanctioning body, the word "SPEC" would have been cast into the head but has been machined off in the bottom right corner.

Worth pointing out that you have the "N" style exhaust ports and a conventional style header flange will not fit, you need something with a wider bolt spread.

Mike

Kevin Box

Supporter
Thanks Mike

They look very similar to Track 1s but think you are right about them being SPEC heads now that I looked at Brodix web site.
I think they will be fine for the job as long as I do not go wild on the ports.
Brodix site suggests they flow enough for 600 HP which is miles more than I plan so will just tidy them up.
As for exhaust plates I will make my own on the mill so no worries there.
Will try to make it all work initially with 5.0 cam and go from there once I have a handle on the emissions.
Can do most of the checking on the dyno anyway.
Have to find some cats next.
I hate the thought Cats on a GT40 - Yuk
But needs must !!!

KB

Kevin,
the heads you have are the same as the T1 STD X which has a 195cc intake and , no, they won't make 600 HP. For that sort of power you would need the 225 cc version so no need to worry !
I would still shoot for 11-1 compression though, it will help everything including emmisions.
Mike

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Kevin

Cats on the exhaust of a 40 don't necessarily have to look bad if done correctly.

In NSW they are a required evil and as such you have to make them look as good as possible.

IMHO the way I did mine doesn't look too bad.

Dimi

Attachments

• exhaust 4.JPG
    exhaust 4.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 351

Trevor Booth

Lifetime Supporter
Supporter
Dimi,
no state mandates that a vehicle must have catalytic convertors. What is mandated is an emission standard. Using Cats is one method to achieve that emission standard. There are engines around that dont need cats.

In NSW an ICV is required to meet the IM 240 test 37/01 limits.
If you achieve that without Cats no problem

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Trevor

I was under the impression that without cats it would be extremely difficult to reach the required emissions levels.

Dimi

Hi KB
Man sure sounds like a pickle, Can't really understand the Aussie emission rules deal but Mike and Clive have put there finger on a relervant point in the cam. You dont need to worry about the duration, in choosing a cam the first point is the overlap. I dont believe there is a zero overlap cam but little as possible for the emission is best. Then the second point is you need to decide when you want to close the intake valve. Cylinder head flow, compression requirements and fuel octane will determine this. The later you close the valve the more static compression you need. Once those two points are found you duration is set. So low overlap and good compressoin will help. Sorry I cant be more spesific on the numbers we dont have to fight the emission bug YET! so I dont have any data.
However David Visard has writern an article on this, I'm half way though shifting house and all my books are packed away, but if you google his name there is a lot of info there.
I hope this helps

Trevor Booth

Lifetime Supporter
Supporter
Hi Dimi,
It is difficult without Cats, however they are not compuslory. Using Cats is currently the cost effective method adopted by the majority.

A question for thoe's in the know.
Will use of restrictors in the inlet and exhaust manifolds help with reducing emissions? It is a practice used by the big four japanese motorcycle companys on most of their enduro bikes.
If there is less air going in then the need for fuel will also be reduced. EFI system will compensate = less emissions for given capacity engine. Horsepower will also be down but once passed ADR's pull out the restrictors and away you go.
Is anyone else thinking this might be worth a try?

Kind regards, Gus.

A question for thoe's in the know.
Will use of restrictors in the inlet and exhaust manifolds help with reducing emissions? It is a practice used by the big four japanese motorcycle companys on most of their enduro bikes.
If there is less air going in then the need for fuel will also be reduced. EFI system will compensate = less emissions for given capacity engine. Horsepower will also be down but once passed ADR's pull out the restrictors and away you go.
Is anyone else thinking this might be worth a try?

Kind regards, Gus.

The bike manufacturers do this with 'special' bikes to pass noise not emissions tests, there still basically no emissions testing for bikes in Aus.

Kevin Box

Supporter
Dimi

Yes your cats look OK What brand are they and who is the agent ??

Woody

I had a look through the junk i have scored over the years and found a late 5.0 truck cam which does not have a lot of overlap so will give this a try. Just want to get it buttoned up to keep the dust and crap out of it. When it comes to specifying the cam I really want to run, I will flow the heads and send info to Kevin Ban at Kelfords and get him to whistle something up for me.

The certfiers in Aust are starting to ge a bit cunning and take phots of your setup and if it changes significantly from the picture you could be in the poo! Hence my reasoning to try to get it certified looking like it will long term. A cam change is very hard to see from the out side !!!.

I will be watching, with interest, a couple of Cobras about to go through and see how they fare. One is Stock AU111 5.0 with TWM 8 Stack and the other is 347 with CHI heads and CHI intake machined for injectors & 4 barrel throtlle body.
It costs $500 a shot to get your emission cert in SA so you dont want to do it more then once !!!

Regards KB

Hi KB
Sounds like a plan, along with your electronic background I'm sure you will get it sorted. Just a note on Kelford Cams. Did you know Phil Dugan?
He was the top cam grinder at Kelfords a few years back, a lot of thier good grinds came from him. He shifted to Aussie and now has his own business Called Sure Cams. He was in Queensland but now shifted to NSW.
I still use his service, a top bloke and he really knows his stuff. I just thought it might be closer for you.
Good luck and keep us posted

Back