HELP! please, with question about MA reg, emissions

I'm considering buying another member's SLC which has an LQ4 motor on Holley Terminator X. I'd be registering in MA as either "specially- constructed" or "replica." (I think the SLC would pass as a replica of a Nissan R90 series Group C car). My plan would be to run the remainder of this year's track season, then replace the LQ4 with an LS3 over the winter.
The car has a 2015 FL title, so I think registration would go smoothly, the problem is emissions inspection. The issue is the same for specially-constructed and replica cars - here is the relevant section of the MA hot rod law:

Specially constructed vehicles and replica vehicles, as so defined, registered after April 30, 2012 shall be subject to emission control requirements based on the model year and configuration of the engine installed in the specially constructed or replica vehicle, whether the engine is an original equipment manufacturer’s production engine, rebuilt engine or crate engine. Regulations relative to emissions compliance for replica or specially constructed vehicles registered after April 30, 2012 may establish maximum limits on the annual number of vehicle miles traveled by these vehicles; provided, however, that any such limit set, shall not be set at less than 3,000 miles per year. If the model year of the engine installed in the specially constructed or replica vehicle requires an onboard diagnostic system, the vehicle shall be subject to an onboard diagnostic system emissions test applicable to the certified configuration, including any exclusions or exemptions otherwise granted to that certified configuration.

The last sentence regarding OBD is the kicker. It seems to me that I can't represent the motor as being any older than '99, so I'm required to comply with OBDII (1996 onwards). That would mean adding cats, post-cat O2 sensors, and a new ECU. I don't think I'm up for that.

Anybody aware of a different way to avoid those requirements?

Doug Dyar

Supporter
Seems like you'd have at least three options.

Use it for track events only. No requirements.

Install an old enough engine that the modern emissions stuff isn't required.

Register it in a more friendly state.

Seems like you'd have at least three options.

Use it for track events only. No requirements.

Install an old enough engine that the modern emissions stuff isn't required.

Register it in a more friendly state.
Agreed, Doug. Thanks for your input. I've been mulling over those options.

But, needs to be streetable. I don't have a trailer, tow vehicle, or space. Out of state registry would open me up to an exise tax evasion charge.
A 28+ year old powertrain just doesn't make sense for this car.

I guess I'm hoping there's a magic loophole…

Scott

Lifetime Supporter
Greg,

I live in MA and it's the worst state for this. I had a cobra titled, registered and insured in NJ for 20 years. When I brought it MA they treated it as a salvage car. You must go to a State Trooper run facility with the proper paper work and receipts for the car. Any donor parts must have the VIN for the car that it was taken from. If you get through that, then they will apply a MA VIN tag to your car. You must then deal with emissions which is the real issue. For the cobra I went to a MAC station, they put the car on a a lift and I had to prove the following:

1.That it had a pre-emissions engine, I have a 1966 427 side oiler with the proper casting numbers and receipts

2.Fill out paper work that listed the tooth counts in the differential and the ratio of each gear in the transmission and prove that those final ratios were higher than every gear that the car that engine was taken from.

I have been building a SL-C in MA for 7 years and registration is a big concern. The SL-C is not a replica of a specific car, it is a specially-constructed car. I'm not sure that having an ODB2 completely solves the emission challenge so I bought a pre-emissions 478 ci Cadillac, registered and insured in MA for over 1 year and then certified crushed it. That's supposed to give a 4-year window to gain an emissions exemption for my SL-C which does have cats.

PM me with your number if you want to talk about it...

Neil

Supporter
Greg,

I live in MA and it's the worst state for this. I had a cobra titled, registered and insured in NJ for 20 years. When I brought it MA they treated it as a salvage car. You must go to a State Trooper run facility with the proper paper work and receipts for the car. Any donor parts must have the VIN for the car that it was taken from. If you get through that, then they will apply a MA VIN tag to your car. You must then deal with emissions which is the real issue. For the cobra I went to a MAC station, they put the car on a a lift and I had to prove the following:

1.That it had a pre-emissions engine, I have a 1966 427 side oiler with the proper casting numbers and receipts

2.Fill out paper work that listed the tooth counts in the differential and the ratio of each gear in the transmission and prove that those final ratios were higher than every gear that the car that engine was taken from.

I have been building a SL-C in MA for 7 years and registration is a big concern. The SL-C is not a replica of a specific car, it is a specially-constructed car. I'm not sure that having an ODB2 completely solves the emission challenge so I bought a pre-emissions 478 ci Cadillac, registered and insured in MA for over 1 year and then certified crushed it. That's supposed to give a 4-year window to gain an emissions exemption for my SL-C which does have cats.

Why put up with such nonsense?

Greg,

Scott,
Thanks for your input, very enlightening and valuable.

Re: replica status, I've read that a "replica" does not have to be letter-perfect, only a resemblance to a homologated or certified car is required. Take a look at the R90C cars, and you'll see the strong resemblance. So if you wanted to register as a replica, I think you'd be safe. Of course the same regulatory hoops must be jumped through either way.

Last edited:
Greg,

Back