Engine Mounts

Randy Folsom

Supporter
I have two sets of SBF engine mounts. One set is from Prothan (same as Sean’s above except they are red and silver), the other (black and gold) is from Energy Suspension. Fitment is identical. I can return the Prothans so wondering if I should. Thx in advance. Cheers, Randy
IMG_3700.jpeg

Howard Jones

Supporter
Yes. You are going to end up with a lot of parts you didn't use in the end. Cull as many as you can as soon as you can. Send em back and buy something else.

Randy Folsom

Supporter
Yes. You are going to end up with a lot of parts you didn't use in the end. Cull as many as you can as soon as you can. Send em back and buy something else.
Agree. Since I bought the Prothanes on Amazon I can return them easily. I just wanted make sure there were no horror stories about Energy Suspension.

Randy Folsom

Supporter
New problem. The Suspension Energy mounts hit the side walls such that the engine can’t be fully lowered into the engine compartment. Is this a problem with the Prothane as well, if so, how have others addressed it?

I am thinking to cut the back of the top tabs off, move the holes and weld on new bracing such that the mount is closer to the engine. There’s about a 1/2” gap, so I could move the hole center 3/8” a still have a bit of clearance.

I rather doubt I am the first to install a 302 in an RCR40, so I assume there is a better solution :)

IMG_3782.jpeg

Paul T.

Supporter
Randy, If you have the transaxle mount bolts installed to set the rear height where it works. Sounds like a good plan to me to cut the mounts and move the mounts closer to the engine to lower the front. I set mine different from most and have about a 3 degree nose up on the engine.

Randy Folsom

Supporter
Randy, If you have the transaxle mount bolts installed to set the rear height where it works. Sounds like a good plan to me to cut the mounts and move the mounts closer to the engine to lower the front. I set mine different from most and have about a 3 degree nose up on the engine.
Paul,

I have read that the old mustang’s were set at 3^ relative to the ground but that the manifold’s carburetor plane was at 0^ so that the carburetor was level and the floats worked properly. I assume fuel injection is more forgiving. My engine is currently naturally aspirated and my intake manifold’s carb plan is flat, so I think my engine should be level with the ground.

I am hoping others have found mounts that don’t need modification and allow the engine to sit level relative to the transaxle mounts.

Cheers, Randy

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I bought the mounts that RCR was selling. I believe that they were spec’d for a Mustang convertible and were a bit lower than the coupe mounts. It’s been a lot of years, but the Factory Five Cobra world knows about this as well..

Randy Folsom

Supporter
Randy,

I ordered my kit with the SBF mounts and received the tub side mounts that fit the SBF mounts. Fran or Bill said the engine side mounts are the builder’s responsibility. He didn’t have a recommendation for brand or type. I can only assume if RCR had something to sell, they would have said something.

At first glance, the mounts on my FFR Mk3 Cobra look like they might work, but not with the RCR tub mounts and unfortunately, the angle is not the same so they can’t be used directly on the tub wall.

I’ll check for mounts that fit 80’s era Mustang convertibles hoping they don’t need as much space.

Cheers, Randy

Back