ERA???

I've just started investigating GT40 kits. Browsing this site I've noticed that there is a lot more conversation about some kits than others. There is a lot of discussion about RF and GT40NZ, but ERA's car doesn't seem to be mentioned very often. I had the impression that it was one of the good ones so I'm curious as to what some of your opinions are of their car vs. the others. This is a great site and a lot of fun for someone new to this to browse. Thanks.

Scott

Scott,

I am probably not the right person to answer this, I have not researched the kits long enough.

However, I do know that ERA has a waiting list of about 2 years /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif, which scares lots of us away. (Please correct me if this is the wrong number). The quality is very very good, and it is priced accordingly.

Also, GT40 NZ does not offer kits anymore, neither does GTD. Current kit manufacturers include RF, MDA, Tornado, and .... I am sure some more!

hope this helps,
Lukas

I looked very hard at the ERA kit vs the RF kit about a year ago. Th RF kit was less expensive and far more complete. Initially, I was quoted a waiting time of three years for the ERA but was able to move up to one year. I ended up going with the RF kit for a variety of reasons. I have been very happy with the kit and the factory support. It was a tough choice! Best of luck with you project.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I looked into buying an ERA, but I didn't want the 2 yr wait. From what I have seen they are very nice. There was one at Monteray at the historics that was very pretty. For what I am going to do I am very well pleased with the CAV. I am thinking of doing another car, but it with be 427 MK 2 and I haven't decided on the Frame or Body yet. Maybe next year.

Vic
CAV 40

Thanks everyone. Two years is quite a wait, but it would give me a little wiggle room on figuring out how to pay for it. I really appreciate the responses. Good luck with your cars. This really is a great place to get information about GT40s and to drive yourself nuts thinking about how much fun you could have with one of these. I had no idea there were so many people interested in this.

Scott

Ron Earp

Admin
I understand there is an uncompleted ERA GT40 located near me in NC that is for sale.

I like the ERA's but didn't go that route as I couldn't afford it. $59k for a very incomplete kit (still must source brakes, engine parts, AC, etc., etc.) was way beyond my budget. When I added up the parts cost I came up with a large sum, something like $85-$90k. I think the cars are fantastic though.

Ron

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
There IS one thing that ERAs have over the other GT40 replica cars...at least in this country. They show up for sale already built and running more often, I think, than about any other. No doubt this is because they have been around longer than anyone else, building GT40 replicas. Since I have been following this forum, I've known of three ERAs that came up for sale, all at pretty decent prices, with all the good bits- ZF box, good engine, nice paint, etc. If you don't want to wait a year, it might be worth trying to find one for sale. Of course, there's always that matter of the Corvette brakes....

Ron Earp

Admin
They do show up fairly often for a 40 and the prices are good. That is, a couple of completed ones have been in the $70-85k range which is good for a complete replica of any type. Less than the parts would be anyhow. If they had been selling for $80k complete a few years ago I might would have thought about it, but things were different then. Anyhow, I like the car I have but if I were in line for an ERA and one of these popped up I'd seriously consider it.

Ron

I just purchased a low miles ERA completed in 1998. I'm ecstatic about the car, but I think I would be about any GT40 replica. They are all fine with very few exceptions (which everybody here will steer you away from). I'll venture a guess to one of the answers to your question.

I'd bet that many recent ERA's have been assembled by either ERA or professional assembly/race shops (though Dave Warren's shop and car seem equal to either standard). Accordingly not many construction/repair questions on this board.

I'm also willing to stick my neck out and say that due to the above, that is paying a 3rd party to assemble, the all-in cost is higher for ERA's than other cars (espcially given the initial cost). Accordingly, when the $'s get tight, it seems a few ERA's pop up (slots for orders, incomplete kits and completed cars). When the $ is flowing the backlog gets full and none sell.

Chuck

Thanks again for all the useful info. I have another question. I've read a few things about some kits body shapes being more true to the original than others. There is a fellow in the UK with his own website (www.gt40.org.uk) who says that a lot of the kits, but not the ERA, were taken from a KVA which has a number of differences from an original car. I, of course, don't know what to make of his comments or what he considers significant differences. The monocoque idea sort of appeals to me so the CAV is interesting, but I only know enough to get myself into trouble at this point. There does appear to be some economic advantage to the cars made outside the US, which shouldn't come as any great shock, I don't suppose.

Scott

ScottB,

I was going to reply yesterday morning, but a family emergency
pulled me away. Pretty much what everyone has said so far
is what I would say.

Here are some other points to ponder:

ERA has paid attention to detail. The body is very high
quality, inner and outer panels are epoxy bonded together,
not glassed together like most replicas (I have not heard
whether or not RF/Tornado/MDA/CAV/GT40NZ/GT40Aus glass or bond).
Also, the ventilation system is well done. The exit vent
on the roof by the bulkhead window is pure genius.
Although the kit is less complete than others, it comes
in a further state of completion than others.

The downers - it is designed only to use a ZF. Although
the ZF is a great box, that means more $$. Also, it is a
semi-monocoque. Again, there are pros and cons to mono and
semi-mono, but one that sticks out is if you ever suffer
frame damage, spaceframes are easier to fix. And of course,
cost and wait time.

Bottom line IMHO, if you can afford the cost and wait, you
will not be disappointed. Actually, any of the mentioned
40s will not disappoint.

Ian

Ian,

Thanks for your reply. It sounds like most people are in agreement that the ERA car is high quality. I am curious about the CAV as it sounds like it would be an easier car to finish and a bit less expensive.

Scott

The CAV is also a great car. And, it comes as turnkey-minus,
all you need to do is drop in the engine and trans. It comes
painted, completely assembled, with tires/wheels/etc. And
it is also a quality car. As I said, regardless of your
choice, I don't think you will be disappointed.

One of these days I will actually be able to get in touch
with Bob Lacey next time I am in San Diego. Things never
seem to work out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Ian

Scott,
As the North American distributor of Roaring Forties I would like to invite you out to Phoenix and drive my RF.
One other point to make here is that RF builds factory turnkey minuses too. I will gaurantee that you will not have to provide any axtras to put your trans and engine into the car. They come complete with all the mounts, starter, altenator, belts, pulleys, and all the shifting hardware for the trans.All you need is your engine and trans. We also have the ability to do this installation for you at a fair price.
The most important thing is to check out all the web sites and talk to as many different owners you can. This will make your choice alot more educated and enjoyable. You already know about this place and the wealth of info that's available. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So have fun and good luck..

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Shoot - I knew there was a reason I wanted to attend
Super Computing 2003! It's in Phoenix!

Oh well, I'll have to figure out some other excuse ...

Ian

Ian,
If you do get out here, all you need to do is let me know you're coming and will make time to visit.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Scott

The ERA chassis is more authentic looking than any other
"mass" produced replica. However very good sources indicate
an even BETTER chassis will soon become available for same
cost. Time will tell.

Regarding the bodies, I've been told there is are "minor"
differences between KVA based bodies and originals such
that they will not directly interchange. However they are
so close that 99.9 % of the public could not tell them
apart.

MikeD

If I wanted a monocoque chassis, I would wait and seewhat comes out of South Africa from Super Performance. Talking with Peter Brock, he confirmed that they have arranged for the pressing of a steel center section. This takes a sizeable press and not many places have the money for the tooling and the press required. Especially for limited production such as is seen with replica cars.Expect something in late 2004.

Back