ErikK's Valkyrie rebuild

Here are some photos of the FiberFab Valkyrie I just purchased. Yes I know it's not a close replica of a GT40 but it is certainly inspired by the GT40. As am I. :)

Attachments

• PXL_20231118_170218784.jpg
    PXL_20231118_170218784.jpg
    966.2 KB · Views: 204
  • PXL_20231111_161307245.jpg
    PXL_20231111_161307245.jpg
    625.1 KB · Views: 145
  • PXL_20231118_170244962.jpg
    PXL_20231118_170244962.jpg
    922.1 KB · Views: 151
  • PXL_20231118_170350282.jpg
    PXL_20231118_170350282.jpg
    742.2 KB · Views: 146
  • PXL_20231118_170501893.jpg
    PXL_20231118_170501893.jpg
    824 KB · Views: 149
  • PXL_20231118_182606036.jpg
    PXL_20231118_182606036.jpg
    777.5 KB · Views: 147
  • PXL_20231123_194916715.jpg
    PXL_20231123_194916715.jpg
    498.2 KB · Views: 187
Some details:
2" x 5" rectangular tube frame, not a VW floorpan. So it's clearly a Valkyrie not an Avenger.
Chevy small block, I'm told it is a 305. Appears stock, with iron manifolds, Quadrajet, and HEI distributor.
Corvair rear suspension, Corvair transaxle with Fiberfab adapters (similar to Crown?)
Production looking front suspension, I'm guessing Corvair since the drum brakes :-( look the same as the rear. But it has rack and pinion steering.

I'm told the previous owner parked it in a barn in Michigan before he died. I bought it from his widow and her family friend. "Ran when parked" is good news in this case, it's a complete car not an incomplete kit. The body is in remarkably good shape and the frame is rust free. But it has not run in 16 years.

Progress and status:
- It steers and rolls.
- The engine cranks over on the starter motor, it is not seized.
- I drained the gas and coolant, there were only a few ounces of each, the coolant was green which is reassuring.
- Removed carburetor to rebuild it.
- Brake and clutch pedals have at least some feel. Next step is to flush and bleed the hydraulic systems. I have a pressure bleeder and the bleeder screws that I have tried so far were not too stuck, so this should not be hard.
- Next up rebuild the carb and put in fresh gas, see if it will start. If I can drive it even around the parking lot that will give me a lot of reassurance and enthusiasm to continue the project.
- Working on clearing indoor storage room for it in my shop.

Questions and thoughts:
The things I like least about the car so far are the side window situation, followed closely by the difficulty of getting in and out of the cabin.
The drivers side window is plastic, looks home-made. The crank regulator does not work but I can push the window up and down and it more or less stays put. The passenger side window is missing. The rollers in the door and the regulator crank are there so it may once have existed.
As you can see it has no vent windows, does this make it a 'long door' car? But look at those fixed black panels behind the windows, I think a previous owner added them to go with the homemade windows. They make ingress and egress even more difficult. I'd sure like to find a window solution that lets me eliminate these. Any suggestions?

I can imagine a long list of things I'd change on the car, from minor to major. But I'm not going to start into those before I get it running and driving.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I’m pretty sure that the rear glass is from a 65-66 Ford Mustang Fastback. Perhaps some of the other glass was similarly sourced?

The plastic side window is gently but definitely curved. Flat would be a lot easier.

I have read that the vent window is 60-something Mustang and the accompanying side glass is 60-something LTD hardtop rear door glass. I dunno how hard that would be to find.... And I don't know what the one piece glass (without vent window) is from.

The plastic side window is gently but definitely curved. Flat would be a lot easier.

I have read that the vent window is 60-something Mustang and the accompanying side glass is 60-something LTD hardtop rear door glass. I dunno how hard that would be to find.... And I don't know what the one piece glass (without vent window) is from.
It was my first kit car when i was 18 , many configurations, 3 paint schemes. I had a corvette motor and always had heat problems, motor wise and cabin and broken transaxle parts. Last iteration before i sold it , cut open the roof and put a Turbo 350 trans. Depending on your skill set and equipment best to strip it down and start over, the build looks very sketchy ! ! There's still a website Fiberfab that has some original build manual's , parts needed documentation , sparse to say the least. I used the modified Mustang vent window, 66 LTD front window and VW track with electric motors , very labor intensive to make it all work. Learned a lot along the journey, you will too.

Depending on your skill set and equipment best to strip it down and start over, the build looks very sketchy ! !
Well yes and no. Maybe compared to a serious GT40 replica the build is amateurish. But for what it is, a 1970's fiberglass kit car built by a home builder (I assume) it's really quite good. I haven't seen anything grossly unsafe or that made me wince more than a little. Lots of things I would like to change, but nothing awful.
My eye for this is pretty good. I'm an engineer and I've led several prototype and low volume vehicle projects. I've been turning wrenches since the 1970's and I'm a licensed mechanic. But I've never owned a kit car or a Chevy engine before so I'm new to this one.

My plan is first of all to get it running. Drive it enough, even if just around the cul-de-sac, to build a little momentum on the project. Then at least remove those door restrictor plates so I can hopefully get in and out of it in less than 3 minutes and without dragging my knees and my butt and both hands in the mud. Then drive it enough so I can see if I fall in love with it or not. If I don't, I'll find it a new home with somebody smaller or more flexible who will love it. And if I do fall in love with it, then I'll start on the list of modifications. Hopefully one at a time so I can keep driving it occasionally and keep the momentum up. I don't want it to become another stalled project.

Not directly working on the car, but progress on the project.
With some helpers, yesterday I assembled this four post lift, and today got the Lotus out of the way and the Valkyrie parked indoors where it will be safe from the snow and easier to work on. This is the view from my desk, hopefully it will inspire me. The Valkyrie is up on casters to make it easier to roll around, that's why it looks so tall.

Attachments

• PXL_20231224_212337330.jpg
    PXL_20231224_212337330.jpg
    568.6 KB · Views: 131
Thanks Brian! I have seen that site. Sadly it's pretty much a cobweb site, hasn't been updated in years, maybe since 2006. Yes it does have some good info, the old assembly instructions etc. I wonder what ever happened to FiberFab and the people involved? I'd love to learn more about the history of the cars. There is a FB group and some info on the web, I've been poking around.

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Best I can do Erik. I don’t do any social media, so have no idea what’s out there. Just stumbled across that site. Seems like I have a original article from Popular Science or Popular Mechanics from back in the day. I’ll look around.

Regards Brian

Progress report and a major milestone:
First the exciting news: It runs! ! !
After rebuilding the carburetor and hanging a temporary gas tank, the engine started right up. It shows good oil pressure. This makes me feel much better about all the long hours this project will require.

- one piece side windows ordered from Mark Clapp. This will let me delete the plates that block part of the upper door opening, thus making the car a bit easier to get in and out of.
- flushed and pressure bled the brakes, now it has reasonable pedal feel.

Attachments

• PXL_20240216_235248650.jpg
    PXL_20240216_235248650.jpg
    474.3 KB · Views: 41
  • PXL_20240218_231354559.jpg
    PXL_20240218_231354559.jpg
    584.3 KB · Views: 41
Back