F1 2009

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
There has been scant news of the USA teams. I would have thought anyone in the USA might be able to pick up more info than we can in the UK. I'll see what I can trawl up but as I say, there is very little.

There is no scuttlebut here in the US. There has been talk of Danica Patrick as a driver and maybe Penske for a team. Cosworth for engine manufacture. All of this is just total speculation or hopeful thinking.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Todt...'fraid so. Incestuous bunch, aren't they....I only wish there was a USA team, let alone a USGP, which will probably not happen again in my lifetime, unfortunately. Guess I'll just have to drive to Canada, won't I...

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
The news about the USF1 Formula 1 team is not that special unfortunately. They are terminating their deal with Cosworth, and the staff are on a month by month deal with no further backers joining in. The Austrian Wurz has given up any hope of a race seat with thee team. It all sounds all a bit dire and I wonder if it may not now happen for them.

Last edited:

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Interesting seeing the number of votes Todt received, I thought it would be a lot closer.

Jean Todt has been elected President of the FIA, succeeding Max Mosley. The result was 135 votes for Todt and 49 votes for Ari Vatanen.
The following were also elected as part of Mr Todt's candidacy list:
President of the Senate
Nick Craw, President, Automobile Competition Committee for the US (USA)
Deputy President Automobile Mobility & Tourism
Brian Gibbons, Chief Executive, New Zealand Automobile Association (New Zealand)
Deputy President Sport
Graham Stoker, Council Chairman, Motor Sports Association (UK)
Senate Members
Hernan Gallegos Banderas, President, Automovil Club del Ecuador (Ecuador)
HH Tunku Mudzaffar bin Tunku Mustapha, Chairman, Automobile Association of Malaysia (Malaysia)
S.H. Rudolf Graf von der Schulenburg, President, Automobilclub von Deutschland (Germany)
Carlos Slim Domit, Patron, Asociación Mexicana Automovilistica (Mexico)
Jainchang Yan, Deputy President, Federation of Automobile Sports of China (China)
Mobility Vice Presidents
Carlos Barbosa, President, Automovel Club de Portugal (Portugal)
Victor Dumot, President, Touring and Automobile Club of Paraguay (Paraguay)
Ignacio Gonzalez Fausto, President, Asociación Mexicana Automovilistica (Mexico)
Gus Lagman, President, Automobile Association Philippines (Philippines)
Franco Lucchesi, Delegate to the FIA, Automobile Club d'Italia (Italy)
Jorge Rosales, President, Automobile Club of Argentina (Argentina)
Danijel Starman, President, Avto-moto zveza Slovenije (Slovenia)
Sport Vice Presidents
Jose Abed, President, Organizacion Mexicana del Deporte Automovilistico Internacional (Mexico)
Michel Boeri, President, Automobile Club de Monaco (Monaco)
Morrie Chandler, Honorary President, MotorSport New Zealand (New Zealand)
Enrico Gelpi, President, Automobile Club d'Italia (Italy)
Carlos Gracia, President, Real Federación Española de Automovilismo (Spain)
Mohamed ben Sulayem, President, Automobile and Touring Club for United Arab Emirates (UAE)
Surinder Thatthi, Automobile Association of Tanzania (Tanzania)

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Barichello allegedly signed for Williams Gp last week.
Who will buy Renault F1 ? November could be a very interesting month.
I wonder when the midget starts taking the none refundable deposits for 2010,
how many of the new teams will be able to do the business ?

Yes going to be an interesting off season.
I would like add to the list Brawn becoming the "works" Mercedes team and Mercedes selling their sharholding in McLaren? McLaren has been a thorn (too independant?) in the side of Mercedes. Some examples: Spying episode, refusal to run the drivers that MB wanted, blocking the Sauber's inclusion for 2010 and not to forget their inabilities/unwillingness to use a Mercedes engine for their new roadcar that is to replace the SLR production.
Mercedes pick-up major shares in Brawn at a fraction of their minority holding in McLaren and their new team has a german driver! Only leaving them to settle the bidding war between their teams for Jason Button.......

All speculation...........

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
F1 commercial rights-holder Bernie Ecclestone has dismissed talk of Donington Park being liable for as much as £18 million in damages should the seemingly inevitable occur and the circuit prove unable to host the 2010 British Grand Prix as per its agreement – as he insisted that he has no regrets about having handed Simon Gillett the contract to stage the race.

Following the failure of both a debenture initiative and bond scheme and lapsed deadline after lapsed deadline in terms of its ambitious £135 redevelopment project in order to bring the track and its outmoded facilities up to the required F1 standard, it appears as though Gillett's Donington Ventures Leisure Ltd (DVLL) company has finally run out of ideas for how to honour its 17-year deal with Formula One Management (FOM), run by Ecclestone

Less than nine months now from the 2010 event, it looks likely that Donington will be welcoming neither F1 nor MotoGP, which it lost to Silverstone – and, according to British newspaper the Daily Telegraph, DVLL could now be facing administration due to its debts from the ruinous venture. Worse still, documents linked to the failed loans endeavour suggest that Ecclestone would be within his rights to seek £18 million in 'liquidated damages' should the bid fall through – something the British billionaire denies.

“No, there are no penalties – not at all,” the 78-year-old told The Times. “I don't regret it. If they could have done what they said they were going to do, and what the contract said they had to do, it would have been good.”

Whilst it has been reported that traditional British Grand Prix host Silverstone is now all set to step in to fill the void, negotiations between the British Racing Drivers' Club (BRDC) and Ecclestone – never the most comfortable of bedfellows – are deadlocked, with the former adamant that it cannot afford to pay the going rate, and that it will not merely act as a single-year stop-gap to enable time for Gillett and Donington to get their act together.

“I'm confident a deal can be worked out,” BRDC President and 1996 F1 World Champion Damon Hill told BBC Radio Northampton. “The contract can be of any combination of years, but it has to be affordable. There's a huge desire to get the deal done, but we're not prepared to put [Silverstone] at risk financially.”

.....................................................................................................

Toyota have confirmed on Tuesday that their third driver Kamui Kobayashi will race again for the team at this weekend’s Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. Kobayashi made his debut in Brazil earlier this month, after being drafted in to replace Timo Glock, who had suffered a cracked vertebra and cut leg in an accident during qualifying for the Japanese race.

Although Toyota had been optimistic that Glock would be well enough to compete at the Yas Marina season finale, they have decided not to risk an early return...

..after lapsed deadline in terms of its ambitious £135 redevelopment project ...

Hell there must be a financial problem in the World at the moment. I think we could have help raise that much even with help from non-GBP members and the appropriate exchange rates!!!

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Malcolm, I hope so too. It maybe that Wheatcroft just takes it back from the lease to Gillet and it will just carry on as before pre Gillet.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
f1 live

A survey, completed by Arabian Business.com has revealed that drivers this year earned in the region of US $130m between them. While some of the figures are generally well documented, the report claims that 2007 world champion Kimi Raikkonen pulled in an astonishing $45m, or 35% of the total for the whole field.

Raikkonen of course is not racing with Ferrari in 2010, his contract ending a year earlier than scheduled. While the precise figures are not known, it is almost certain that the Italian team are paying the Finn handsomely not to race for the team next season. This could help explain why Toyota, who has publically admitted that they have made Raikkonen an offer for next season, has now backed off at the pay demands required to secure his services.

Lewis Hamilton is about to complete the second season of his five-year McLaren Mercedes contract and earns a reported $18m with Fernando Alonso next up on $15m this year with Renault. The 2005/6 champion is off to Ferrari next season, despite agreeing a two-year deal to remain with the Anglo-French team in December 2008.

Jenson Button we know took a pay cut from a rumoured $12m in 2008 and is listed this year at $5m with the championship winning Brawn Mercedes team. Other notables include Brawn team-mate Rubens Barrichello on $1m, while team-backed drivers such as Romain Grosjean and Kazuki Nakajima are not actually paid to race – although one assumes they get something for their efforts.

As ever, the figures are all but impossible to verify, but it still makes interesting reading...

2009 driver salaries – US $ (m)
1 . K. Raikkonen - Ferrari F60 - 45
2 . L. Hamilton - McLaren Mercedes MP4-24 - 18
3 . F. Alonso - Renault R29 - 15
4 . N. Rosberg - Williams Toyota FW31 - 8.5
5 . F. Massa - Ferrari F60 - 8
6 . J. Trulli - Toyota TF109 - 6.5
7 . S. Vettel - Red Bull Renault RB5 - 6
8 . M. Webber - Red Bull Renault RB5 - 5.5
9 . J. Button - Brawn Mercedes BGP 001 - 5
10 . R. Kubica - BMW Sauber F1.09 - 4.5
11 . H. Kovalainen - McLaren Mercedes MP4-24 - 3.5