F1 2009

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
From Thursday's press conference.

Q: (Ian Parkes - The Press Association) Question to Jarno and Adrian: I'm just wondering if you two guys have settled your differences after your exchange of words following your first lap accident in Brazil?
Trulli: I think we're going to discuss it probably tomorrow in the drivers' briefing and in the GPDA briefing. Obviously it was very disappointing to end the race like that, especially on the first lap. Obviously I think I had every reason to be extremely furious. I've got all the evidence to show that I was there, I was next to him, so I think tomorrow we are going to discuss it.
Sutil: I think there's nothing to discuss. It was a quite obvious incident. In the end it was very disappointing for myself, even more, I think, because I was the one who was just driving and he lost control of his car and crashed in my back, so it was not my problem, it was his problem. I don't know why he's freaking out like that, to be honest.
Trulli: (Laughing) If you want, I can show you some pictures. I don't know if you're blind but they clearly show you that my front wing is next to your front wing, so...
Sutil: Yeah, but you're trying to overtake me on the outside on the kerbing. There was not a problem...
Trulli: So you mean... you didn't move there...
Sutil: No, you were just not going off the power. The same happened in Barcelona where you lost control again and crashed again into a Force India car. You just have to sometimes also...
Trulli: I just lost...
Sutil: ...expect the limits of the car. If there's no way to go, you have to back off, that's how racing is, and I don't know how long you want to learn it.
Trulli: In Barcelona I spun and he hit me because he tapped the kerb, he completely cut the circuit and he didn't slow down, so basically... Anyway, I think it's better...
Alonso: (to KR) Shall we go?
Sutil: No, no. Watch the race in Barcelona. I didn't hit you, you hit me. I don't know what's the problem, but maybe your eyes are a problem.
Trulli: I don't have any feeling about him.
Sutil: I don't understand, really, sorry.
Q: (Alan Baldwin - Reuters) I was actually going to ask a similar question, but maybe the two of you can agree on what you said after the incident in Brazil, because obviously Jarno was seen to be gesticulating and saying quite a few things. Could you just tell us what was said at the time?
Trulli: I was furious because I said 'didn't you see me?' I mean, I was next to him and he kept pushing me going outside until I was obviously on the kerbs. I couldn't believe...
Sutil: ...the kerbs, not a problem to be on the kerb, I think. Where's the problem?
Trulli: Ok, no problem, it's OK. As long as we know the rules.
Sutil: I know the rules.
Trulli: Fantastic.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Below is the provisional grid for the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix with each car's weight. Note - McLaren’s Heikki Kovalainen is expected to drop from 13th to 18th after a gearbox change on his car. The final grid will be published as usual by the FIA on Sunday.

1. Lewis Hamilton, McLaren, 658.5kg
2. Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, 663
3. Mark Webber, Red Bull, 660
4. Rubens Barrichello, Brawn GP, 655
5. Jenson Button, Brawn GP, 657
6. Jarno Trulli, Toyota, 661
7. Robert Kubica, BMW Sauber, 654.5
8. Nick Heidfeld, BMW Sauber, 664
9. Nico Rosberg, Williams, 665
10. Sebastien Buemi, Toro Rosso, 661.5
11. Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari, 692
12. Kamui Kobayashi, Toyota, 694.3
13. Heikki Kovalainen, McLaren, 697
14. Kazuki Nakajima, Williams, 704
15. Jaime Alguersuari, Toro Rosso, 696.5
16. Fernando Alonso, Renault, 708.3
17. Vitantonio Liuzzi, Force India, 695
18. Adrian Sutil, Force India, 696
19. Romain Grosjean, Renault, 710.8
20. Giancarlo Fisichella, Ferrari, 692.5

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
It's a wrap.
Thankfully.

It may have been a glitzy place with flashing lights everywhere but totally without any soul. IMHO.

Last edited:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Tom Wheatcroft, owner of Donington Park Race Track, has gone to that great race track in the sky after a long fight with cancer at age 87. Quite a legend in his own right and a big mate of Ecclestone and Mosley. Drove tanks in ww2 as well.
A write up on him on Grand Prix.com F1 News > Tom Wheatcroft

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Probably still get some sort of odds on a bet : Vettel as the next f1 Champion.

Just found this :
Six to one is good but I think it may be shortening in the next few days - I might just bet my wifes pension money this week.

<TABLE id=cardTable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top><TABLE class=oddsborder cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR class=oddsrowtwo><TD class=betoption>Lewis Hamilton</TD><TD class=o id=440915881_SJ>11/4</TD><TD class=bl></TD></TR><TR class=oddsrowtwo><TD class=betoption>Fernando Alonso</TD><TD class=o id=440915866_LD>7/2</TD><TD class=bl></TD></TR><TR class=oddsrowtwo><TD class=betoption>Sebastian Vettel</TD><TD class=o id=440915899_PP>6</TD><TD class=bl></TD></TR><TR class=oddsrowtwo><TD class=betoption>Kimi Raikkonen</TD><TD class=o id=440915878_BS>13/2</TD><TD class=bl></TD></TR><TR class=oddsrowtwo><TD class=betoption>Felipe Massa</TD><TD class=o id=440915863_SK>15/2</TD><TD class=bl></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD><TD></TD><TD vAlign=center align=left></TD></TR><TR class=marketRow><TD></TD><TD>Click here for all odds

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​

Last edited:

Keith

I'm a betting virgin - don't understand it at all. The only guidance I ever had from my religious parents was that "Gambling is Evil and Only the Spawn of The Devil place Bets - but if you get a Certainty - Put your Shirt on It"

Or something like that. Anyway, it look s as if Jenson might be worth a tenner or two then eh? And that Hamilton is more favoured than Vettel?

Or have I got it wrong AGAIN.

Last night during the SPEED TV wrap up of the GP season, Vettel was the favored Champion for 2010. With mix of changes (no refueling/weight increase), lost of some down force, and smaller front tires, will change the equation. IMHO the German drivers should do well as will the Red cars if they have something to bring with them. Meanwhile, the new little shop in Charlotte is using a California made 5-axis CNC to turn out car body parts for the US entry.
Grady

PS How about K. Kobayashis driving abilities?

Keith

Last night during the SPEED TV wrap up of the GP season, Vettel was the favored Champion for 2010. With mix of changes (no refueling/weight increase), lost of some down force, and smaller front tires, will change the equation. IMHO the German drivers should do well as will the Red cars if they have something to bring with them. Meanwhile, the new little shop in Charlotte is using a California made 5-axis CNC to turn out car body parts for the US entry.
Grady

PS How about K. Kobayashis driving abilities?

Very quick out of the box and he shows little fear (or respect) so that can be good. However, he is totally unrepentant regarding his rather dangerous swerving in Sao Paulo and says he will not change his style. That might be the utmost in mind screwing but it was probably better expressed at the beginning of a season rather than the end.

Fortunately, his approach was far more reasonable in Abu Dumbell whatever so maybe it's just words. Good skills though...

AS far as that "stadium" was concerned I would like to be associated with Dave Mortons comments re: the place. A rich mans playground with sparkly lights and rubbish racing on a track. I vote that Abu Dhobi the most boring race of the year apart from Valencia and Singapore and most of the rest of the artificial converted car parks.

I would rather stand in a muddy field or sit in a stand made of scaffolding at Silverstone and watch some proper racing on a real track than that circus.

And nil points to the syncophantic commentators from the BBC who were practically drooling every time they spoke about Bahrain and Abu Dubby especially that big mouthed small git Eddie (I am a rock & roll star who can only play one tune) Jordan - I expected better from a forthright Irishman.

Yes, of course they put it together in "just two years - Silverstone had better watch out" as could anyone that could throw a billion dollars at a project like that. And guess what? We all damn well paid for it!!! :evil:

The performances of Jenson Button and Marky Mark Webber at the end were the only saving graces of this dismal (and very expensive) fiasco.

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
shouldnt we now be on F1 2010..........

All in all a remarkable season for Brawn (but was it all down to the double diffuser at the start) I fancy Vettle at 6:1...... reliability issues stopped him this year... 17 weeks to go!!!!

Although this show never stops

I have to say my favourite race tracks are the ones that contain varying gradients. It suprises me that most new tracks seem to be completely flat. If the Abu Dhabi track flowed better with some gradients it could be a great track. As it is, i'm not convinced. They certainly have the money to construct something more undulating and exciting. The only exciting part is the exit of the pit lane.

Martin

shouldnt we now be on F1 2010..........

All in all a remarkable season for Brawn (but was it all down to the double diffuser at the start) I fancy Vettle at 6:1...... reliability issues stopped him this year... 17 weeks to go!!!!

Although this show never stops

It could stop for Silverstone and a British GP. Apparently the TV audience for each F1 race is some 600 million, which is more than 99.9% of the total number of people watching the race. Silverstone has been producing F1 races for years which look good on TV and attract 100,000 paying enthusiasts, without the need for trackside marinas filled with large gin palaces or a luxury hotel spanning the start/finish straight, etc. So what is the problem? All the glitz of the new circuits is totally superfluous to good racing IMHO. Unfortunately the BBC team seem to have been totally taken in by the soulless bling of the new circuits, which is not helping Silverstone's case. I don't feel optimistic about Silverstone - I hope I am wrong.

Chris

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Keith -
:singer::singer::gorgeous: Like a virhirhirgin .........
I wouldn't play poker opposite you and thats a fact.
It's really nice to see Vettel on the top step but if Schu ( the biggest cheat ever) returns in the third car then Renaults Crashgate will be small fry. And Napoleon will look the other way.:evilgrin:
Yes - I'll put my wifes pension for this week on Vettel for 2010.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I think Vettel or Alonso should be favored, but after the way things went this year it could be Force India!

As for tracks, I have made only one trip to Silverstone, 1995 (Jonny Herbert), I know it looks good on tv but in person it didn't do much for me. It's flat and we sat in the Stow/Vale area and must have been 200 yards from the track!

I'll take Spa any time over Silverstone.

Another great place to see a GP is Montreal, it is on a beautiful island, built for a worlds fair and the underground goes right to the center of the track! (although it is also fairly flat, sit in the turn 1 area, great action).

Jim,
The Canadian Grand Prix used to be held in my back yard until 1977. Then moved to Montreal. I did the Detroit Grand Prix in 82. We parked a Winnibego with lawn chairs and cooler on the deck on the roof. Best way to watch a race. As for next year I think Hamilton will come back if he gets a half decent car.
Dave
Mosport International Raceway

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
David,

You have a great back yard!

I went to my very first GP at Mosport in 1974, won by Emerson Fittipaldi in a Mclaren. Mosport was/is a great track and like Spa a wonderful place to watch a race!

We got there in our VW bus on the Monday before the race and camped in the trees behind the pits, which were completely open in those days. We spent the week in the garages, even helpt move and unwrap a new Brabham BT44 tub they were assembling for I think Carlos Pace (I hope my memory has not left me).

Early on Friday we walked the track with James Hunt (Hesketh) and Hans Stuck (?).
Those were the days!

Back