F1 is boring me to death!!!!

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Well this time it wasn't boring, I actually managed to stay awake throughout the entire race.
Total brain fade by M.S.behind the pace car, or was he trying to brake test the car behind him?? If he was it backfired big time.

It's interesting to read some of the reports. Schumacher obviously braked way too hard trying to heat the tires as evidenced by the way the left front locked up. Trulli noted after the race that he thought Montoya was following way too close and they might crash - as they did. Sounds like Micheal was over-playing with his brake bias and brake checking Montoya, and Montoya was trying to intimidate Schumacher. Schumacher lost out on this one. What would have been really interesting was to see if Montoya would have tried to pass Schumacher on the re-start. My money was on that happening. All hell would have broken out then, but we'll never get to see it.

Well!!!!!! I had to take a break from the ironing -- nearly burned a shirt.
First of all, Sato's rocket start including shoving MS out of the way. Then MS in his three wheeled waggon. Oh how I laughed when I saw it. (Incidentally, he has driven back to the pits before with a broken car, how come he isn't penalised for spreading bits of carbon fibre all over the track)?
I've just realised that it's a waste of time discussing rule changes to make the racing more exciting, just simply give MS a two year ban.
Re my previous comments about reliability, the reports say that it's the first time since April 2003 (19 races) that MS has not finished and this time was not a reliability failure either.

Dave Tickle

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Just returned from Monaco via Imola. Everybody was ecstatic when the Ferrari went out and everybody I talked to in Italy was over the moon with Trulli's win. The shoo brothers had a really eventful day - RS pushed Alonso in the tunnel - and while under safety car for that incident Juan Pablo got to work on MS. Poetic or what. Retire MS - This was the greatest race in the last God knows how many years. Truly - a great win for Renault. Best supporting act - Juan Pablo. Best Hype - McLaren, Best theatrical smoke - Honda.
Now the the Nurburgring.....
Dave M

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
There are still some interesting things in F1! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

F1 Babes

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
F1 reminds me of the late lamented Chicago Bulls with Michael Jordan. They didn't win ALL the time, but they won most of the time, and it got boring. I think that's why people like watching golf- there are so many elements that can't be controlled that even the best players go into slumps and the "OTW"s win (other than Woods). I have to admit I am delighted when I see an F1 win from an "OTS". Ferrari has made everyone else the underdog, and rooting for the underdog is a popular pastime. Maybe because we all feel like the underdog from time to time.
Most of the racing I've seen, which is embarrassingly little, has been vintage; the cars look familiar to me because of my age (52) and recall my youth. I think I like that best.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Jim,
Re: watching golf - I'd rather go to our version of Home Depot, buy a tin of vinyl emulsion paint and a small stool. Then, take it out into the car park, open the tin and put it down (without spilling it) then sit on the stool and watch the emulsion paint dry up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'm not sure what is more disturbing. The fact that there is a web site that is dedicated to watching paint dry, or the fact that Max knew its address /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

What we enjoy about sport is its unpredictability, which is why any domination gets boring - however the incidentals pan out.

BUT how about this very recent quote from lovable old Jacques Villeneuve planning on a return to F1.
"I train every day in a very intensive way, and moreover I have just bought two helmets and prepared two visors, with two sets of white overalls, at my own expense."

WOW! Shame he didn't consider the cost of paying himself too many $millions before losing his seat to younger an equally talented drivers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Looking forward to a good race tomarrow.
Glad to see the qualifying order , should be a exciting start and for sure first stint. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

All in all , not a bad race. The boys were really pushing hard.If Rubens could have taken his boss half way through it would have been great. Montoya and Ralphie were really sliding around alot too, fun to watch.

Good race, very tactical. Too bad for Williams and Toyota to be disqualified for running too large brake ducts. Indy this week!

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
The prerace USGP coverage has been much more extensive then in the past. The interview with BAR/Honda showing their carbon fiber gearbox in detail was very interesting. Derek Daily drives a Jordan, interesting. Now as for the race, we'll wait and see...

What an event! Just a great weekend all around. We were sitting at turn 1, saw the mess started by Klein, then Alonso, then Webber. A wild race. A great weekend. Good to hear Ralf will be okay.

Oh, and the pit walk was good, too. Got some nice pics of various cars, talked with some mechanics. Got Alonso's and Trulli's autographs (saw Trulli downtown Thursday night). When Coulthard crapped out on Friday, he signed lots of autographs, even got his picture taken with a little girl. Sato just acted like an ass when he spun during an ambitious overtaking move in practice.

I thought a couple of things were interesting. In the full course caution, Barrichello (in second) slowed the field down enough so that MS (running first) could pit and still come out in first! Would like to see that one tried in NASCAR.

Again some of the teams just do not understand that a full course caution should change their pit strategy. It is a very simple rule. If your car has not pitted in the last ~8 laps or more then come in for a stop. If you are in the back of the lead lap (back 1/4 of the positions) and you have not pitted in 2 laps then come in and top up. How hard is that? These guys wait till green flag and then in a few laps have to come in and pit. The other cars are going by at ~200 MPH.

Back