F1 is boring me to death!!!!

Why do they have rules on maximum brake duct size. I thought this was an all out technology race? Or is it a spec series?

Why not have a simple set of rules and let them run. Spec tire dimensions (like now). Spec minimum weight. Spec minimum ground clearance. Spec all safety related stuff. Spec fuel and maximum engine size. Let them race. Who cares how many wings they run or the size of their brake ducts. It seems an odd compromise between technology demonstration and a tightly controlled series (NASCAR).

Gary,

It is a technology based class but within parameters. This is because technology has got to the point where they could make the cars ridiculously fast if given free rein. Unlike the 60s and 70s, outright technology would not work today.

I read an article recently explaining that the braking forces are approaching the point where the driver will no longer be able to handle the G forces so the new rules will take this into account. The drivers already get blurred vision under braking because their eye-balls are distorting. Mind you, they have not created a rule yet that has actually slowed the cars down... just slowed the speed of development.

At least fr Williams, it wasn't that the ducting was too large, it was that it was too far from the wheel - outside the envelope.

If they want to liven up the spectacle Bernie also needs to get a top rate TV director to go around with the races. And a non-biased one too.

What did we see today? Too many boring laps of the leader a Renault to begin with so with half-asleep French director no surprise. But he also followed Schumi in the same pattern only cutting to the half-decent action just seconds before the breaks!! Dreadful.

I totally agree, more footage of the little un's battling in the middle order make for much better viewing. Let's hope the directors for Silverstone do a better job.
Cheers
Murray

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
A Terrific race at Silverstone!! The master won again and certainly not boring for Trulli. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Well, Murray this time you got your wish, the producer/director concentrated on the battle behind the master and came up with some terrific racing footage.
A masterful drive by Button (my pick for next world champ).
A scary moment for Kimi who will want a word with the engineers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif and what could Mark Webber do in a decent ride? Stay tuned /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

How do they do it!! I'm now in Nanjing and living in a Chinese owned apartment, so no western TV channels. China TV channel 5 covers the Grand Prix's but as the commentary is, understandably in Chinese, it's difficult to follow the background to the races. Today for example, why did some cars start on wets? From the coverage, the track seemed almost dry at the start.
Then, 2/3rds the way though I let my attention slip for 2 minutes. Now, that was my fault, but how come when I returned, Ferrari were first and second. They came from nowhere. How did they do it????
Anyway, in less than two weeks time I will be on the train to Shanghai. I got my tickets in July, I hear they are like gold dust now, hotel prices have also rocketed for the weekend.
If anyone else is going and wants some tips on how to survive in Shanghai, just let me know. Basically, Shanghai is a fantastic city and the Chinese people are absolutely wonderful. You will be accosted in the tourist areas for fake watches (pay no more than 10% of the asking price) and offers of sex of all descriptions (no infomation on prices or quality!!) But apart from that, you will have a great time. Some reports say that there will be 200,000 spectators there, so don't expect things to go according to plan. Just remember that all the Chinese will be doing their best and that a smile goes a long way in China. But let me assure you that you will love your trip.

Todays race was the best I have seen all year. Very nice of Michal to let his team mate win.

Vic

Malcolm

Supporter
If that was the best race so far this season I am glad I have missed most of it! Technically superb but entertainingly terrible. Football (soccer) has been more entertaining and I don't follow that at all!

I was saddened to see the announcement of Jaguar's

"retirement" from F1 as of the 2005 season, in this

morning's paper. What a shame! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Here's hoping that

someone resurects Jaguar Racing before it's beyond all help!

Perhaps F1 should institute an annual spending cap to make

things more equitable between teams(in the case of

Ferrari), and therefore more survivable(in the case of

Jaguar).

With the threat of a new league in the wind, will F1 become

another CART/IRL showdown? Opinions? Comments?

Bill

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
It's the same rules for everyone.I don't know how you could police a spending cap. I would think that Jaguar/Ford would have the ability to match the financial input of Ferrari/Fiat. It's a matter of whether they want to or not, and if they did, could they put a winning package together anyway? Sounds like they can't stand the heat so they've got out of the kitchen. However there could be some other agenda. Pity to see them go,the Jaguar in Mark Webber's hands was starting to show some potential.Hope Toyota, Honda, Renault etc.don't wimp out as well!

It is not just Jag that is being retired but Ford are looking to get out of F1 completely and sell their whole team.....possibly selling Cosworth too...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Look out Champ(OWRS)car.....

Rumor has it that there are parties interested in purchasing Jaguar Racing, Cosworth, or possibly both.
I hope that's true, or F1 is headed for a serious crash and burn. With no Jaguar, Minardi, or Jordan teams competing(possible in 2005), that would leave a pretty thin field, even if each team ran 3 cars. Bernie had better get his thinking cap screwed on tight and come up with a solution!
Anybody have a clue who the potential suitors might be?

Bill

Hi Bill

I don't think all is lost for any of the teams affected (yet).

As far as Jaguar F1 is concerned, the early money's on Christian Horner (of Arden International Formula 3000 fame) buying the team as a going concern to go racing, engines unknown. Whether they are looking at Cosworth also, I don't know.

In the short term, even if Cosworth is not around under new owners, as Minardi recently signed a new contract with Cosworth, at worst they will broker a deal for a pot of money from Ford in lieu of the new engine deal to run/develop the old Cosworth engine (which Minardi has been developing themselves anyway).

Eddie Jordan should also be due a reasonable stack of cash off Ford and even though the Jordan/Toyota engine deal was called off, the doors are apparently still open at Toyota.

With all the other teams required to develop a V8 motor, the playing field may not be very even (it never has been) but there is still scope/hope for the teams affected to survive, at least in the short term.

Rob

Back