FIA Battery Cut-Off placement

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Here is the CAMS requirement for us here in Australia.-

All vehicles of the 2nd and 3rd category (sports cars) shall be equipped with a battery isolation (master) switch, which effectively isolates all electrical circuits from the battery and stops the engine. It must be capable of being operated by the seated driver. There must also be a 2nd switch or a remote means of operating the main switch which can be operated from outside the vehicle. This shall be positioned in the vicinity of the base of the A pillar on the drivers side. This external switch or remote activation must be clearly marked by a symbol showing a red spark in a white edged blue triangle.
Ross

Last edited:

Malcolm

Supporter
That sounds pretty similar to our regs but in a simpler set of wording!

I am wondering, not having done SVA myself as it is after my construction time, from some of the comments here if there is an SVA requirement for a cut out switch other than the ignition switch? I think both Brett and Ian made reference to it? Can someone expand on this?

Hi Malc

For some reason I vaguely remember something being said about SVA along the lines that any CUT-OFF/KILL switch should NOT be operable by driver in seated position.... Doesn't make a great deal of sense to me but for some reason its in my mind....

Probably a load of baloney.:rolleyes:

Paul is right, that you shouldn't be able to kill should not be able to be operated by the driver... makes you wonder what that funny key thing does when you turn it and pull it out as well as locking the steering.....

Anyway, it also serves another purpose. For SVA you have to have an anti-theft device, and the cut-off fits right into that category.

Brett

Mmmm - thanks for that Brett...

But what does this mean?

The RF has a cut off mounted under the rear deck, nr battery, which I would think complies with SVA 'anti-theft' status,

BUT

If mounted inside the cabin, within reach of driver, it would still be an 'anti-theft' device, BUT would it then fail the bit about being a KILL/CUTOFF as it can be reached by driver???

Who recently has passed SVA - with or with such a device, and where was it fitted and how did you describe its operation/reason for fitment.?

On a similar note, I've fitted solid-state cut-outs before that break the earth connection to vehicle. Work well for motorsport, BUT on a road car with alarms, central locking etc etc, you need to be carefull with the wiring otherwise when you isolate the car, you also isolate the central locking etc etc - oops! There are ways around this, BUT not all of them are then technically correct for MSA competition requirements - think it through before specifying/fitting....:)

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Guys

I was reading the SVA manual again last night (boring old fart) but having stated what I did in my earlier post I wanted to clarify.

The section is at the start of the SVA manual and is not written that clearly but is about anti theft devices that should not be operable when the engne is running etc. So example would be steering lock that you could set / knocked on when driving would not be allowed.

Reading it again I think I muddied the waters and misunderstood the wording of all devices as opposed to mechanical devices.

Lets face it if you kill the engine you are not driving normally so it should fall outside the requirement

Hopefully now cleared up my misunderstanding of the best sleeping tabet I have ever read!

Ian

Back