Floods

Keith

Heading for a power outage I think. Power has flashed on/off 3 times now which means something is going to give.

Got to sort out emergency oxygen supplies, blankets and flashlights etc.

See y'all on the other side... :)

Sorry guys really don’t want to sound sanctimonious and maybe should stay out of the paddock as I seem to have a total sense of humor failure over this , tends to happen when something is so close to home but.

Many of these people are not “whining pussies, who can't get by without fresh eggs or milk for a week. Fucking cry babies!”

My wife was speaking to her brother last night he lives near Taunton 2 miles from the Somerset levels. He rang her which is unusual very down and depressed. He said looking over the levels from a local hill is shocking and a catastrophic scene, it just looks like the sea for miles.

His and therefore his family’s main source of income is from a small Chimney Sweep business, doesn't make much but pays the rent and puts food on the table. At the moment and for weeks his business has died due to his not been able to get to his customers and this should be his busiest time of year.

I was also discussing the situation with my sister who lives in Somerset this is her take on it.

Have their house’s been underwater for over 7 weeks? Is that water full of the contents of their cess pit? Are there dead animals floating in there living rooms? Are all there feed crops for the foreseeable future ruined? Would they hold the same opinions if they were? “

To them at the moment I suspect "whining cry babies" would be many in the paddock moaning about none life changing situations. Things take on whole different perspective when they effect you personally.

Last edited:

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Keith, it's damn shame David has all of us Yanks on "ignore". I did a dandy generator install at my house a few years ago, would be happy to help him out. Photos and all readily available. Tell him hello from me when you see him.

If he ever gets us out of Coventry, that is. Take a fellow prat out of exile, that's my motto.

Keith

Sorry guys really don’t want to sound sanctimonious and maybe should stay out of the paddock as I seem to have a total sense of humor failure over this , tends to happen when something is so close to home but.

Many of these people are not “whining pussies, who can't get by without fresh eggs or milk for a week. Fucking cry babies!”

My wife was speaking to her brother last night he lives near Taunton 2 miles from the Somerset levels. He rang her which is unusual very down and depressed. He said looking over the levels from a local hill is shocking and a catastrophic scene, it just looks like the sea for miles.

His and therefore his family’s main source of income is from a small Chimney Sweep business, doesn't make much but pays the rent and puts food on the table. At the moment and for weeks his business has died due to his not been able to get to his customers and this should be his busiest time of year.

I was also discussing the situation with my sister who lives in Somerset this is her take on it.

Have their house’s been underwater for over 7 weeks? Is that water full of the contents of their cess pit? Are there dead animals floating in there living rooms? Are all there feed crops for the foreseeable future ruined? Would they hold the same opinions if they were? “

To them at the moment I suspect "whining cry babies" would be many in the paddock moaning about none life changing situations. Things take on whole different perspective when they effect you personally.

Brilliant rant Nick! :thumbsup:

But, nothing particularly new in it. These people are still a bit soft. Just fucking get on with it.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
*** Spelling. There is a 'u' missing from 'humour'

You really must try harder Jack...

Jack was just too darned nice to say this, but, I'm not! The Yankee spelling of "humour" IS "humor" - yeeeeew pompous Brit, you! Just like over here "cheque" is spelled "check"!

DEAL with it, ya ole goat!

Wuv you anyway, Keith! :thumbsup: :D

Last edited:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Jim,
You are not on the Ignore list. You come across as normal.
The Floods: after a very tough night which killed a couple of people
This morning seems quite calm. The water here is down around the rich
peoples houses at the other end of the street. I guess the tunnel from
The big house to the swimming pool ( scary spice didn't want to be photographed)
Will be flooded by now.
The area where Keith lives took a real bashing overnight so I'll check him out after
Breakfast. (Black pudding from Mclouds in Stornoway)
Then i need to plan my day - possibly the Pearl Liang restaurant in Paddington basin.
(Brilliant dim sum and well kept chinese beers). First i have to be in to receive our food parcel from Buckie ( the Moray Firth coast) which comprises live scallops, langoustines, and the most beautiful smoked salmon ever.)
Toodle

Keith

Thanks David, I will cautiously say that all is well, but haven't yet been upstairs to see if my roof is still intact. Stairlift u/s during power cut. The power was out for over 3 hours but I had 'rehearsed' for it and so everything ok.

I meant to quantify by reply to Nick, as I felt he deserved better, but the power went out, so here goes now.

As regards weather, we get off pretty lightly in the UK, and because we enjoy such a mild climate, these 'extremes' tend to get people excited. Having lived through 'weather' in the United States' I can assure you Nick, that people in the UK don't know when they are well off.

Sometime in 1987 or '88, I dropped my 1 year old daughter off at her school (in Huntsville) and went back home as I was not working that day. The sky went black and hailstones as big as tennis balls rained down with attendant thunder & lightning storms. The power went out but I could hear distant sirens. I was concerned enough to get into my truck and just make sure my daughter was ok.

The shopping mall close the school had gone - in a heartbeat. A Tornado had ripped through the neighbourhood, destroying a swathe 1/4 mile wide out of the whole suburb and killing 30 or so people in the process. I found my daughter huddled with the others in a corridor of the school, but there was little protection against such a beast that had passed within 100 feet of her.

Millions of people live with that kind of threat on a daily basis in the US.

THAT is weather Nick. The frightening shit that people the world over have to tolerate and live with and which makes a turd floating in the living room Nirvana by comparison.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Jack was just too darned nice to say this, but, I'm not! The Yankee spelling of "humour" IS "humor" - yeeeeew pompous Brit, you! Just like over here "cheque" is spelled "check"!

Larry the language is called English not American or Yankee.

Thanks David, I will cautiously say that all is well, but haven't yet been upstairs to see if my roof is still intact. Stairlift u/s during power cut. The power was out for over 3 hours but I had 'rehearsed' for it and so everything ok.

I meant to quantify by reply to Nick, as I felt he deserved better, but the power went out, so here goes now.

As regards weather, we get off pretty lightly in the UK, and because we enjoy such a mild climate, these 'extremes' tend to get people excited. Having lived through 'weather' in the United States' I can assure you Nick, that people in the UK don't know when they are well off.

Sometime in 1987 or '88, I dropped my 1 year old daughter off at her school (in Huntsville) and went back home as I was not working that day. The sky went black and hailstones as big as tennis balls rained down with attendant thunder & lightning storms. The power went out but I could hear distant sirens. I was concerned enough to get into my truck and just make sure my daughter was ok.

The shopping mall close the school had gone - in a heartbeat. A Tornado had ripped through the neighbourhood, destroying a swathe 1/4 mile wide out of the whole suburb and killing 30 or so people in the process. I found my daughter huddled with the others in a corridor of the school, but there was little protection against such a beast that had passed within 100 feet of her.

Millions of people live with that kind of threat on a daily basis in the US.

THAT is weather Nick. The frightening shit that people the world over have to tolerate and live with and which makes a turd floating in the living room Nirvana by comparison.

Kin masterpiece Keith

Larry the language is called English not American or
Yankee.

Pete has never watched Deliverance then :stunned: They have sort of made their own version of it. :)

Bob

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Nick, in 2011 we were flooded, by a an error by the bureaucracy controlling the local dam.
$ 350,000. Damage to our home and a year living in a hotel. The grounds are still toxic in places. The stress to my wife was unbelievable her nest was destroyed some may call her soft but those who know her know she isn't.
No one who hasn't experienced their home being flooded, cannot imagine the images of inches of mud in your your living room, the stench of decay, sewage and dead things is unbelievable.
I know because I lived it and if anyone wants to call me or my wife soft you can go fuck yourself.

Keith

I've tried Pete, believe me, I've tried :quirk:The issue is not that people who have the unfortunate experience of being flooded are in any way 'soft' , far from it, but some of their pathetic reactions via the media, is, and that is what has made me cross here in the uk.

If you treat people as victims, they will become, 'victims'.

The capacity to survive failure is an enduring human trait, without it, we cease to exist.

Whatever happened to: "keep calm and carry on?"

To wit: a restaurant on the coast near me was evacuated by the army and emergency services last night, as the sea had breached the defences and shattered the windows flooding the place. It was a Valentine's dinner. Ah bless.

The forecast for this place: 'Severe storm force 12 and above coinciding with a very high tide - red warnings are in force.'

So 32 people including the owner and staff thought it was fine to continue with their romantic dinners for two 100 yards from a rock strewn beach with that warning in place did they?

Cost to public purse approaching £1 million for damaged vehicles buildings logistics etc.

Cue diners sobbing in the media....

The people in this country have gone soft.

"Hope for the best - prepare for the worst"

Keith

Talking of which the power did go off for about 4 hours. Fortunately I have a good reserve of oxygen in both liquid & gas form and with a pile of digestive biscuits, San Pellegrino mineral water, a sleeping bag and a Kindle, I went into survival mode.

For the first time ever, the house shook from the wind. Over 90 mph has been recorded locally. I won't get out today as it is still too windy for me so I will wait for local news as to any damage - all my fences are intact but I lost the gate..:sad:

I wonder who's got it now? :laugh:

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter

Larry the language is called English not American or Yankee.

I'm not as sure about that as you seem to be! :D

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Keith, the reaction here was not whinging but getting on with the job of helping each other out. All the people knew the2011 flood in Brisbane was caused by the dam operators lack of decision in the first instance and blind panic in the last. It in part caused the downfall of the Bligh Government. Neighbours rose to the fore, dubbed the mud army total strangers turned up to help cleanup the mud and the mess. I for one will never forget the people who turned up to help in the clean up. They were magnificent.

Brilliant rant Nick! :thumbsup:

But, nothing particularly new in it. These people are still a bit soft. Just fucking get on with it.
Sorry Nick, I know what you mean and do have sympathy for those effected, of is it affected?

My problem is not so much with the people, although hysteria is contagious and easily encouraged.

My problem is with MP's and the Media, who over-sensationalise the whole thing. This is bad, I agree, but no matter what you say, it is not DEVASTATION and us not a DISASTER! The tsunami in Japan was a devastating disaster. This is not! It will not require international assistance, sniffer dogs to go through the ruins, searching for trapped babies, or entire cities to be rebuilt.

Our Parents and Grandparents, managed to struggle through having their homes blown to pieces with them still in it. Entire cities raised to the ground.

These days we can't seem to cope with a flood. I may get overly excited in my posts, but I operate on an 'equal and opposite' method in my rants. The more these bloody reports exaggerate, the more I will over-simplify and ridicule it all. Mix the two together and we may just discover the true situation?

A reporter interviewed a relief bus driver yesterday in Somerset. He asked him how people were coping. He replied, "well most of them don't use the bus, they drive each other into Taunton! Sounds fucking tragic to me! His bus was parked up in about 1" of flood water.

@Pete

No disrespect aimed you guys. My town gets flooded almost every other year. We (the community) know about flood damage.

Every person, who's home has flooded in these recent conditions, must be very sad. However, everyone knew it was coming. In Evesham and surrounding towns and villages, when the river swells, you shift your stuff upstairs.

Like Keith said above, going out for dinner on the seafront during a red weather warning and hurricane force winds is just plain moronic! Some of these fools deserve to be swept out to sea!

My house shook last night from the winds. I have never experienced that before. I mean the bed itself actually shook! Still here, although my satellite dish has been blown out of alignment, so at last, I can't see the bloody weather reports or stupid news readers! Oh the joy!

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
No offense taken, David. Our local electric utility is named BG&E- Baltimore Gas & Electric. Staffed totally by officious morons who specialize in shutting everything off at the worst possible moment. When I called during a power outage (and we have a LOT of power outages) and I asked them "whatever happened to 'power to the people'?" they were not amused. I said "I'm one of the people and there's no power here, when are you going to get it back on?" they were not laughing. But I was. In the dark, there.

I don't know what the rules are in the UK for standby generator sets, but here you have to have an automatic switchover system with enough power to run everything at the same time, which is ludicrous, since no one runs everything at the same time, OR you can have a smaller standby generator to which you manually switch the loads over. Obviously something has to power it and in my case I had a choice of gasoline, propane, or diesel. I opted for diesel- gasoline is less safe and produces less power, and I didn't want to dig a huge hole in the lawn for a propane bottle.

The set installed is a 16kW Northern Lights, which will run at its maximum indefinitely. It sits in the garage with the exhaust plumbed through the wall. A cable runs from the garage into the basement, underground, and there is a lockout switch on the main electrical panel which prevents the generator from sending current out onto the mains and knocking some poor linesman off the pole when he thinks everything is shut off. Essentially what I do is start the set, flip the main switch over, and then turn on the individual breakers as needed. It will run the furnace, the AC, the kitchen, and probably all the wall outlets as well. (as you know we use 120vac for mains, but some of the larger appliances are 240 which is what I think you use for mains for everything)

99.9% of the time it sits around and does nothing. I start it up occasionally to make sure it is alright. The tank under it holds about fifty or sixty gallons of diesel, and I keep some spare jugs around. There are two pad heaters, one for the tank and one for the oil sump on the generator set's engine. It might start on its glow plugs without the heaters, but I don't want to find out it won't. Thus far this winter I have not had to use it, but the great thing about having it around is that when the power goes off, I don't have to argue with BG&E on the phone. Not having to talk to them is worth the money I paid for this rig.

I should add that here in Annapolis we know something about flooding. And we don't go downtown for celebratory dinners when we think the restaurant will be underwater. A Red Weather Alert sounds like a Force Six gale and I would stay home and watch the homestead.

Back