FORD GT on TOP GEAR

Is it true that the GT did 1:21 in the hands of the Stig? Second (all time)only the the new McLaren Mercedes thingy?
I look forward to seeing the show on Foxtel some time soon.

Did my eyes deceive me or has Ian polished his 40 for the tele? will it be that clean at Maison or will we be fighting off the hoards of autograph hunters, ian will ' its only me' being making his reappearence around the awning door?

keith

I saw the show too and thought Clarkson mentioned Rover V8 engines just because they had a feature earlier in the programme about the death of the dear old alloy-block Rover. But the piece about the new Ford GT was interesting and it certainly looked quick although it seemed to understeer a hell of a lot and there was a lot of nose dive under braking.

I saw the new GT at the Goodwood Festival of Speed and I really liked it - much better modern take on a design classic than say the new Mini - and I think it sounds quite nice too. Supercharged engines have a much more 'real' noise than those that are turbo-charged.

The GT did indeed do 1:21.9 round the test track in the hands of 'Stig'. 3rd fastest ever time behind the McLaren Mercedes thingy and behind the Porsche thingy, both of which are about 3 times as much in terms of cost. It beat the Frerrari 360 cs by about half a second.

Clarkson is a friggen retard with a capital R! Standing by a MK1 he spouts some turgid nonsense about it having a 7 litre!

So whatever happened to Tiff Needle? He seemed like a pretty cool guy. Damn near wet his pants when he drove the McLaren F1 too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You often see that hyperactive chap at Goodwood. He's moved to channel 5 and a programme called 5th Gear.

Decent bloke.

And he really can drive, although mostly sideways!

Hey LADS - glad to now that we are all still purest! one of the things that i used to love about the 40 so much was that the chances of anything like it ever emerging were V slim, now its hear - the GT. I feel like i felt when the new mini came out only a dam sight worse!
Not very impressed by this V12 supercharger thing - but i guess this car is meant to appeal to a new generation of subaru WRX drving youths - Well i am young - but im glad that i saw the light early in life and headed down a road called 'classic motoring' specifically the '40'. And hey its even better that my girl thinks its the nicest lipstick shes ever seen (any girls readingthis will surely understand instantly! so im told)

Lets not forget Mr. Clarkson is a motoring journalist, not necessarily a motor sport devotee. We lovers of the GT40 are a fringe group. It'd be nice to have our cars emblazoned across the screen, but there are a lot of other Top Gear watchers, possibly dreamers, non-drivers, and knowledge-unhindered wannabees who have no interest in replicas at all. We made it to the TV, credibility intact, with 3 beautiful cars. I don't think we can expect much more than that. Tony.

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Hi Tim,
No need to wait, why not just download it. The test is available on www.racingflixs.com.
Go to Videos, then Browse Videos, then Road Tests.
Loads of them on there, including the one i like most, of Clarkson getting his hands on a 40 with a gurney bubble, he calls it a GT43!!
Anyway, hope this is of use.

Back