Forum Moderation (lack thereof)

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Frankly I think the only way that we can have a Paddock that does not turn into an Irish Pub at 15 minutes before closing on Sunday morning, is to either turn it into a blocked "Subscription based" (yes so you have some skin in the game) service, or severely restrict the topical content :: no Politics, Religion, Guns, Human Rights discussions of **ANY**sort

Randy my vote is for a Paddock with: no Politics, Religion, Guns, Human Rights discussions of **ANY**sort.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Randy my vote is for a Paddock with: no Politics, Religion, Guns, Human Rights discussions of **ANY**sort.
No guns? I stay out of the paddock because arguing on the internet is well… lame. Showing off nice weaponry is not lame.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRBcpIU0c3w]Shooting 12ga - YouTube[/ame]

Ok, my vote is to leave the thread now. I think that hopefully the point has been made that all of us (moderators) generally try to show restraint and impartiality - we do all have limits of course. We as a group do PM each other to ask advice when we think situations need acting. There has only been a few occasions when I have immediately stepped in and they have related to either
a/ when forum members have used the report button or PMd me directly (some because we have known each other for years)
b/ a vendor/manufacturer posted links to Internet information about another vendor that was not his direct information or knowledge (therefore heresay) and I wanted to avoid any potential libel. Unfortunately the vendor didn't see it that way and still doesn't reply tome on the forum or PMs

As per point b enough, I have a lot of empathy for the other mods, because I am sure that they have received personal 'correspondence' when members don't like either positive or no action as they see it.

One final note to the opening statement. I frequently don't wade in with my personal thoughts because I volunteered to be a moderator; but I remember a time when when we didn't have or need the paddock and we all played nice talking about cars (except for Meat)

hahahaha hahahahaha hahahahaha hahahahaha hahahahaha

hahahahaha hahahahaha hahahahaha hahahaha

Somebody stop me

hahahahahaha
hahahahaha

Keith

Mark - that is the entirely appropriate response mate..

Brett, please do not let a minority rule your thinking re: Paddock. I'll tell you now, that probably only 2 or 3 members like to rant at each other ad infinitum ad nauseum. The rest of us are not only polite to each other, we've also become great friends on and off the forum.

I cannot speak for anyone else, but i have learned an enormous amount about our friends from overseas exchanging banter via this medium.

Sure, switch it off if you have to - but you will be doing a great disservice to many enthusiastic and supportive paid up members who also have and build the subject cars.

The Paddock is a counterpoint if you will, where people of a certain age exchange grumpy and enlightening thoughts.

It is a unique site too, as we gathered for a quite different reason.

Don't listen to the 'voices'.

Finally, I can live without it - I know that I will keep in touch with over 20 or 30 regular Paddock visitors via email or secret webcam cameras. :stunned:

Do your worst, or best - the choice is yours, Rons and all the other good people.

Finally, I still have no idea why this thread is linked to the Paddock. The Complaint STARTED on SPF and ended HERE, if anything, it is the Paddock regulars who deserve an apology for 'mistaken identity'

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Okay...
I've gone back and looked at some of the referenced threads and found them to be in the SPF Forum (which I try not to moderate since Rick takes pretty good care of it) and All GT40 forum.
The history of jabs and pokes from both of the primary players in these exchanges seems to go back quite a ways and it's apparent to me that neither of the two parties particularly cares for one another. The starting a savings thread in the SPF forum went off topic on the second post with advice not requested and it never recovered. Point in fact, the original poster was new to the forum and received so little topical information he's not been back since. Yeah, great ambassadors some of us are eh?
Referencing the Paddock was made earlier on in this particular thread and my presumption was (and not to be totally disproven) that the friction started there and has spilled out into the other forums much as a bar room brawl typically ends up out in the street..
I have deleted (moderated) posts in threads where I have found them to be of no value to the thread's topic or when they have been in bad taste or poor judgement (such as posting people's private info or making serious threats). I would suggest that all moderators do the same. I typically follow up with a note in PM to the offender so as to warn them of my actions and why I have taken them.

Back to the Paddock.. My suggestion of it being subscription based would mean that it cannot be seen by the public. Only by those who are forum supporters to some degree.
I have seen this work in other forums and actually has driven some who would otherwise not finanancially support the forum to do exactly that in order to gain access..
If I see threads that are not topical, I try to move them to the correct forum and sometimes that forum would be The Paddock.

Good grief fellas.. Get a hold of yourselves and do better to find something nice to say or just hold your tongues.. Certainly we were all brought up that way. Well our mothers certainly tried..

Keith

Perhaps when you click on The Paddock, everything should explode for 25 minutes just like Zabriskie Point..

Cooooooool :coolgleam:

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Perhaps when you click on The Paddock, everything should explode for 25 minutes just like Zabriskie Point..

Cooooooool :coolgleam:

Ah yes, Zabriskie Point. Remember seeing that film with an "artiste" who stood up at the end and screamed at the projectionist who had shut the film off before the credits were complete. Said "artiste" yelled "these people are artists and deserve recognition!!!!" And stood and yelled until they showed the balance of the credits....to the three people in the theatre!

Keith, can I come and blow up your refrigerator?

Right then. Now that's been sorted..............................

I think the Paddock warning should read, " If you can't stand the heat, stay the hell out of the Paddock!" Or, "Welcome to the Paddock, best taken with a pinch of Salt"

Mike Pass

Supporter
The Paddock must be kept. Do not allow the minority to screw things up for the majority as they have for just about everything else.
I have learned many things from the Paddock- well OK then two things.
American politics is stultifyingly boring. Even worse than the crap we have to endure.
Americans seem to find American politics interesting. Amazing!
Well three things then.
I need to go and do something more useful with my time and failing enthusiasm.
Godless oversexed lonely liverish yonner white old grumpy guy.

Cheers
Mike

Randy,

There was an hypothesis developed by myself that forum entropy would cause any thread to begin spiraling out of control by the third page. Both prospective and retrospective analysis now confirms my hypothesis and I can proudly state that it is no longer an hypothesis but is now "the Law of Forum Entropy".....

Randy,

There was an hypothesis developed by myself that forum entropy would cause any thread to begin spiraling out of control by the third page. Both prospective and retrospective analysis now confirms my hypothesis and I can proudly state that it is no longer an hypothesis but is now "the Law of Forum Entropy".....
Now that is way too clever a hypothesis for a man who carries!

Back