Give us a break (brake?) Fran.........and anything else ya got for us

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an order with Fran for the full tube frame 917. Its always been my dream car (I'm sure many of you as well). The anticipation is almost painful. I have a horrible case of 917 obsessive compulsive disorder since dropping a deposit on that beast (the car, not Fran). Bottom line is, who says dreams dont come true. no sympathy please!

Congrats on your purchase! I almost changed my order for an SL-C after seeing the
proto bodywork of the 917. Practicality won out for a street car. Wish I could have both!

We bought 6 cars.
They are all late....

So what?

Isn't there a lot worse things going on right now? Lucky to be getting anything if you ask me. Try getting a Ferrari or Lamborghini on time... or in 12-13 months? Never. I’ve had the blessing (or curse) of owning 17 cars, mostly exotics, and every single one of them had issues. I had a Murcie with a blown engine sit at the dealer for 9 months because they couldn’t read the Italian manual. A new head took 7 of those months to arrive. AND THIS IS AUTOMOBILI LAMBORGHINI!!

I locked myself out of my Noble M12 recently and called and emailed them for 10 days before getting a response as to where the F-ing battery was located? Don’t get me wrong, it’s a cool little car but I had to ask them if they were even in business anymore…

Fran, you are doing all you can. I know with all of my heart that you are working 7 days a week and sacrificing precious time with your family to make selfish children like this happy. We can all do things better, make no mistake, and you can be hard to reach which is why even I had to post here looking for you once.

But you do make your accessible, you gracefully put up with others people shit and in the end you do what you say you are going to do. I have made a substantial investment in you, bought COMPLETED cars, not kits and put my money where my mouth is. Don’t EVER lose sight of where we are all going with this. The Aspira will be a car like no other.

Thanks Billy..
We know the Aspira cars are stunning....
It is sometimes tough to keep a perspective on how important our toys are in the big scheme of things..

A friend found her expired 20 year old son in the basement on Sat. morning...makes me take a different look at things ..thats for sure.

I look forward to seeing you when we get back from SEMA..

Last edited:

Craig Gillingham

Banned because I can't follow the forum rules.
respects to Billy Mead...!

The Aspira version looks a stunning spec car and i know Fran will be working like a demon to put it all together..along side all his other customers requests and daily duties.

(puts me in my place....... eageerly awaiting my 1 off complete car)

:thumbsup: Fran

All parts now in the workshop, many thanks. New RH drive plenum superb also am still drooling over the Tilton masters, pricey but boy do they look good.

Worth saying in hindsight that had I known that my original post would have brought out the looney toons I would have found another way of giving you a little nudge. Thanks for keeping me posted on various recent updates.

Warm regards from a genuine fan and still lovin' the build

John

Hey salmjo1, maybe you should read post #67 again, here it is for you:

"I do not have all of my parts for my RCR40, but I am not missing much"

I cant help it if you don't like what YOU have written....
I am allowed to quote, I am not breaking any forum rules, if you don't want to be quoted, don't post! :idea:

I do not have all of my parts for my RCR40, but I am not missing much, and what I am missing is not really holding me up. In addition, none of the parts I am missing are built by RCR (master cylinders, AC compressor). I mean, when Hot Rod Air does not have a flat belt compressor, what can anyone at RCR do? If 7/8 master cylinders are backordered, there is not much to do but wait. And some of the parts on my car were designed literally a few months before I ordered.

Doohan, if you don't see the difference in the little clip you cut from my post and the full paragraph, then you should be a reporter. You took a little clip from my post and presented it in such a way as to change the implication. Don't do that. To use Ron's term, you don't have a dog in this race, so move on.

Dimi,
I think your post is well stated. But keep in mind that DRB allows very little customization; for example, Ford motor to G50 box. For most people, that works just fine and even is preferred. But John Lowe (who started this thread) is running an LS7 mated to a ZF. I am running an LS7 to a Ricardo. Other customers have P4s with Ferrari drivetrains, Porsches in various forms, Lolas, Superlight coupes, roadsters, even electric drive. When you encourage and support individual modifications in this way, you introduce a level of complexity that other companies do not have to support. I don't think any of the companies are developing lift kits, or paddle shift for the Ricardo. It's just a completely difference ball of wax.
Enjoy your car in good health.
-J.

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Salmjo1

With all due respect my post was not about an individual manufacturer it was only a global comment about the state of the kit car industry and the way it seems that just because we are building our own cars we are expected to accept business practices that would not and are not acceptable in other areas of business.

My reference to DRB was not about the car but about how the ordering, payment and delivery process happened.

If a delivery date is quoted then a manufacturer needs to be sure that he and all his suppliers can commit to that time frame, if not dont make the commitment.

If all the manufacturers adopted these procedures this thread would not exist and we as builders would be a happier lot.

I am self employed and run my own business and when I deal with customers and set a date to install a job I do so with the knowledge that all my suppliers can provide all the equipment needed so that the job can be fully completed on that day as agreed.
If there is any doubt as to supply I do not make a commitment so as to not let the customer down.

In the totally unforeseen event that for some reason the job is not fully completed the customer pays nothing until final completion.
That is the way I have done business successfully for the last 30 years.

Dimi

Guys,

the issue arises when a vendor commits to supply by a given date and fails to complete the transaction..

This is endemic of industry/business today....

I recently bought a high end plasma TV..within the first months of ownership the power supply quit twice and the motherboard once...on all three occasions the local repair facility had to order the parts and drop ship them to my house..once they had arrived the service guy came to finish the repair....

I asked him why they did not keep the parts on hand...too expensive..was his reply..even though the parts were actually generic and fitted in almost the whole model range.
My next question was why, when the manufacturer quoted one week to deliver it actually took three weeks and then six weeks on another occasion....his reply..."thats just how it is nowadays'....
Is this acceptable....no, but it is the norm and no amount of complaining will resolve the issue...unforutunately with big businesses...

I get this type of response on a regular basis in life in general...

I suppose its the way of the World ...but I do give my RCR suppliers HELL when they do it to me...because it pisses me off to no end that I may have to keep a customer waiting...I do give a crap...hence the reason for even responding to any of the posts on this well worn thread....if you guys raise an issue with me/RCR ..we do make a change...and we do care...not like the big guys in the World..or even some small guys in our Industry

If anyone doubts that we care ...they are welcome to come by and see for yourself....nothing could be further from the truth...

RCR is here to stay and will continue to push the replica/kit/sports car envelope....
I have had to endure many jibes over the last few years and RCR , as a company has proven the naysayers wrong, time and time again, and provided great value for money, timely service (with occasional human error lapses..:lipsrsealed:..), customer support and industry enthusiasm....it will long continue..
Especially with the crew of extremely talented and commited people we have on staff...

Wait until you see the SEMA car....

Enough waffle from me...carry on ...if you guys want to....

Last edited:
Fran - I've seen a lot of good comments and a lot of crap on this thread.After all of it,I still have confidence in your determination to deliver a quality product in a reasonable time frame.I do not worry about the car meeting MY standards because it will have to meet YOURS before it leaves RCR. Seeing as I DO have a dog in this race, please know it doesn't bother me if it takes a bit longer to do the complete and correct job and I'm sure most of your customers feel this way. Having spent years in customer service dealing with labor problems,vendor backorder,budgets and customers who wanted my scalp on a pole, I can appreciate your position.One of the most important things you can do is to keep your customer(s) informed. That means valuable time initially but it pays off in eliminating subsequent phone calls.Most customers can deal with problems or delays if they are kept updated even if only occasionally. You deal honestly and frankly with them as witnessed by your supporters.Even some of the people who have had problems have admitted you did the best you could given a particular situation and most know you can't run the show and be on the phone or keyboard at the same time,all the time.Many of these frustrations being vented seem(not my business so I can only say 'seem')to be from lack of info about their order status. As for those who have no stake in this,it's obvious you're here for reasons other than connected with the product. And I have to smile everytime I think about the Iron Sheik as the customer service rep.I hope this didn't sound like another a** trying to tell you how to run your business A.J.

To support the comment from Fran that he cares, I can add my novella.
The Cliff's notes version goes like this:

I ordered a SL-R kit very early (March).
I visited the shop in mid April and saw the frame done and they dropped the motor in while I was there to show me the fit.
(I saw the SEMA car design at this time, hehe).
Fran had the car ready for delivery in June.
Shipper has problems getting the car to me prior to me leaving for vacation.
I realize that I have read into the SL-R kit hopes that were never really promised (as far as what work I would need to do).
I freak out a little and post a nasty comment.
Fran immediately responds and is very understanding.
We work out the details on the phone, and at the end of the day, Fran has made me whole.
While I wish I had the mechanical skills to put together one of these kits, I recognize that I do not.
Fran could rightly have been pissed at me for backing out of the order.
He did not, and is not (as far as I know).
I am still a big fan of these cars, and look forward to seeing many of them operating successfully on the street / track.

Proir to ordering I read a little bit about the car and projected my hope that the car was basically a turn-key minus car. I did not understand the difference between a roller kit and a turn key minus car at the time. This is really my own fault for not asking questions / researching it more. I am sure now that if I had asked Fran prior to ordering the car I would have understood more about what was required.

I had my tires and engine / transmission etc... shipped to Fran's for fitment to the car I had ordered in March / April. Since cancelling they have occupied space in Fran's shop. I was getting some shipping quotes yesterday to get the stuff out of Fran's way, and Casey informed me that Fran might have someone who wants to buy it, saving me the hassle of shipping and finding a buyer. This shows Fran is still going out of his way to help me, even after I cancelled my order. Thanks Fran!

So there you have it. I am a cancelled customer that feels really good about the way Fran handled my personal situation. Take that for what it is worth. I personally would not be able to manage the business that Fran has going. In fact I have an uncanny ability to only do one thing at a time!

Thankfully,
BT

Keith

So, it's true then.... :bow:

Attachments

• St-Francis-birds-2.jpg
    St-Francis-birds-2.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 277

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
I was laughing so hard when making that picture I'm amazed it turned out half as good as it did. Thought ya'll would get a kick out of it. Hehehe I couldn't find a coffee cup that fit well in there though...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back