Give us a break (brake?) Fran.........and anything else ya got for us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
I'll bet there's now a few copies of that floating around the RCR shop.

God I hope so!! LOL Need to have those little air freshners made like those that some of our south of the boarder friends hang off their mirrors of the Virgin Mary. Every RCR order gets one of those included, prehung from the mirror. LMFAO Fran is going to kick me in the nuts when I go up there. LOL

You could have given him some hands that look like they have done some work as well, those look more like the ones of a real estate type person!!!:)

Brian Hamilton

You could have given him some hands that look like they have done some work as well, those look more like the ones of a real estate type person!!!:)

:furious:

I'm doing this in MSPaint as it's the only thing I have. I need photochop so I can get a gradient tool and blend it in. It would look sooo much better after that. LOL Plus I can't get the hands quite right with grease on them. LOL Or maybe a box end wrench in one hand... Or Money, since that's what has been said, he takes deposits and doesn't deliver cars.

Oh hell, I started it again...

Last edited:

Brian Hamilton

Whew, well at least you're not going to cast it out of molten aluminum in my pants... Hahaha

I'm getting a friend of mine who's really awesome at photochop to make a really good one...

Hi all,
As the number of posts indicates I am a newbie to this forum (been lurking in the shadows observing for a long long time though) and would just like to add my 2cents worth of the Pacific Peso (Aussie dollar and please no offence meant to any country that has the peso as its national currency). I am in the process of conducting due diligence on several kit car companies here in Oz and I must say that negative posts that have appeared in this post don't do much to encourage a newbie into undertaking the challenge.

However I have spoken with the "Lords" (pic above) right hand angel here in Oz and can only say that Craig was very patient in explaining and answering my obviously newbie questions. He did so in a manner that has re-enthused me into believing that I can build one of these gorgeous machines. I have only previously built a pretty little 1964 Datsun Sports some years ago (found two wrecks in a farm yard).

I know I have a long way to go but would just like to say to all the guys that have posted, could you please remember us newbies when you do post. Fortunately I have a background in Investigations and was taught the ABC of investigations at a very early stage in my career.

Oh, you want to know the ABC of Investigations? A = Assume nothing, B = Believe no one and C = Confirm everything :)

Cheers

Murray

Murray

I started this bl***dy thread off, sadly. Like you this time last last year I was a virgin rookie eagerly awaiting the arrival of my RCR having done the due dillly bit to death. It's my first kit, I'm lovin' the build and the RCR40 (and Superlight coupe) are the best engineered kits out there, period.

Follow your dream, get it ordered and immediately turn into a smug git like the rest of us Fran fans!

John

Thanks John for those very encouraging words. I will be visiting the RCR boys here in Australia in the next few weeks (as well as one or two others) but all pics that I have seen point towards exceptional engineering from RCR and others so it will be a very tough decision. I guess it will come down to whether I want a monocoque or spaceframe chassis with dollars (currently doing a deep dive to depths previously unheard of) being the key. Hmmm I wonder if Fran will give me an advance against where our dollar traded pre Wall street going all wobbly?
cheers
Murray

Murray, just saw your post. Thank you very much for the kind words.

Looking forward to catching up soon.

I've still got pre-ordered RCR-40 kits arriving that were purchased when the dollar was much better. So I wouldn't sweat the exchange rate just yet.

Highly recommend you seeing all the kits in person to make a fully informed decision. Good luck with it.

I have every right to post on this thread Ron! I have been waiting over a year for a zf top cover that was promised by Fran to my contractor. Ok!so now Another big excuse to come by RCR. Lets see!!!Ahhh Oh! I forgot.vacation,aluminum shortage,,,!!!

Murray

Got to be a mono. Given comparable engineering design skills a mono is a better structure in most respects than a space frame. Also the mono tub looks much nicer and the originals were mono, of course (albeit mild steel).

Also look at the billet ally suspension parts Fran supplies and compare them with the competition. Small details like the way the brackets (purpose machined from solid) that attach the rear trailing links to the uprights are angled to line up with the links just add to your confidence that here is a car you could really lean on.

Whichever way you go make sure its your dream you follow, only you can know what is important to you.

Best

John

Last edited:

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Murray

Got to be a mono. Given comparable engineering design skills a mono is a better structure in most respects than a space frame. Also the mono tub looks much nicer and the originals were mono, of course (albeit mild steel).

John
I disagree, if I have an 'off' serious enough to do chassis damage I can fix the steel space frame myself. I suggest a mono chassis whether steel or aluminium would not be as easy to repair.

Ross

John
I disagree, if I have an 'off' serious enough to do chassis damage I can fix the steel space frame myself. I suggest a mono chassis whether steel or aluminium would not be as easy to repair.

Ross

I have to agree with Ross. There is nothing wrong with a spaceframe car. IMHO the only true GT40 Mono is one of steel which includes the steel roof section welded to the chassis. I would conclude that Frans chassis is actually a tub not a mono, IMHO.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
I have to agree with Ross and Dave. Another vote here for a spacefame.

Although it depends whether you can do the repairs yourself. If you can't, then with either spaceframe or mono, you just have to throw money at it and consequently the consideration becomes how much, and how important is the down time.

I wouldn't want a mono or a tub unless I could afford to have a spare one sitting in the workshop. That is unless I had the supplier virtually on my doorstep and they had guaranteed to supply one from stock instantly, should it be needed. Still a lot of work changing everything over though, not to mention the dollars involved. Either way, with serious damage you may need to do a fairly comprehensive strip out anyway.

Of course there's always the old adage "it won't happen to me". This is a very comforting thought and one that I find most assuring!

Ron Earp

Admin
Guys, this thread has run it's course and is no longer true to the original topic.

If there are folks that still have outstanding parts due them from RCR take it up with Fran or start another thread about parts. If you want to debate spaceframe vs monocque cars you can do so on one of the older debate threads or make a new one in the chassis subsection.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back