GOODWOOD FESTIVAL OF SPEED MKIIs

Malcolm

Supporter
Who is who in these pictures?

Just a debate thought....

Is it right that Ford should use a clone at one festival whilst the original is known to be at another? A young fan might be taken in by the clone thinking it was the real thing and be disappointed later on to find out about it. Surely there is only one race winning car and so its scarcity "see it only here" value should not be diluted by Ford. Now, when I see the race winning cars I can no longer be sure that it is the real deal even though it may be advertised as such. I have seen enough real GT40's to satisfy that need so race winners are more interesting. Again I prefer the used patina look as though it has just come off the race track. That allows me to visualise just what the drivers went through as opposed to a show room condition car. Just an opinion of course.

Just an opinion

To Clone or not to Clone??? That is the question

I am of the opinion that the Festival of Speed should not allow clones given the prices they are charging. Sure in 1966 the Le Mans winner had clones for publicity since you could not transport the one car to all parts of the USA in sufficent time. But this is different you are charging top money for entry either be trueful or lower the charges. Even the FoS Catalogue says MKII which it is not. As for the Motor Sport magazine they should be ashamed of themselves. OK no where does it state that P1008 is the real MKII. But there again they do not name it as a clone P1008. And if the captions state that the intake in the middle was the actual one. When it had plexy glass top and no grill. What are you showing? absolutely nothing. Surely they had coverage of the Classic Lemans? Go there get shots of the original and then do your article. Or buy the pictures from a freelance who was out there. Back to the FoS I do not like the idea of a youngster coming away from the event being fooled it was the real thing. I know it had a note saying it was P1008 a clone. I just hope no one was fooled. I am not getting at Chris but at Ford. No Ford stand at the festival. What does that say you cannot be in two place at the same time. This was down to the FoS clash with the Classic Le Mans.
Regards Allan

Back