Got Burgled Yesterday...

Sorry to hear of the misfortune, Graham. I can indentify with the feelings you've expressed. I was mugged at gunpoint,about 8 years ago. A crack addict came out of nowhere and hit me square in the jaw with the pistol, momentarily stunning me. He then held the gun against my forehead while going through my wallet. Apparently he was only interested in cash as he didn't care about my credit cards,phone or watch, shaking as he probed for additional money. Obviously, I'm still here and squeaked by with only a jaw injury and a few dollars lighter. I've also had the house broken into, walking in on the intruder. He escaped through a window leaving with a coin collection and some cash. It is not a feeling I want to experience again, much different than facing an adversary in wartime combat but un-nerving just the same. You feel violated and helpless as well as angry. Hope they catch the bastard.
In the U.S.,you can't just shoot these jerks or you end up in jail too, you have to be confronted and firmly believe your well-being is in danger. But....I'd rather be the one still standing and giving the explanation than the alternative. The best defense is to make it difficult and time consuming for the prospective thief. A vocal dog or two is the best deterrent,you can't bullshit a defensive canine(thief loses the element of surprise),plus good multiple locks,security lights and a clear area which doesn't give the criminal any cover to work from. In some areas here, an American flag flying in the yard also gives the perpetrator a good idea of what's waiting for him inside. If you're home at the time, they all know the sound of a 12 gauge chambering a round and will leave quickly.

I hear you on that!!!

Sorry to hear about that Graham. Seems to be a fact of modern life unfortunately.

When I'm gone, my wife (retired Captain in the US Army) keeps her 12 inch bowie knife at the ready on the night stand. That seems to calm her. We've hesitated getting a gun as we have small children but we'll probably get one and use a finger print gun lock.

I pity the guy that tries to break in when I'm gone - first she'll shoot him (she's an excellent shot) and then she'll stab him a few times for good measure. Then she'll make him listen to the screaming kids for the next half hour while the police get there......

That would surely prove that Burglary is an excercise in futility!

Nice...

My sympathies to you Graham. It's a great shame that both the UK and the US have these problems. I remember visiting a friend in Germany about 10 years ago and there was no theft there - it wasn't in the culture (though I hear that's changed). I am very fortunate that I live in a village (close to a small town) where there is virtually zero crime. My workshop is never locked, the cars only if we are going away, and you can walk straight into most peoples houses around here day or night. The downside is it's 50 miles to the nearest motorway - some might say that's a price worth paying, but it does get tiresome. We are looking to move further south, but that will doubtless entail a whole new raft of security measures. I agree that dogs are the best deterrent to the opportunist thief - unfortunately locks and alarms don't bite!

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
You know how McDonalds put warning labels on their coffee cups to stop law suits against people burning themselves, well if you put a sign on your front gate/doors/windows saying "burglars will be either shot - bashed or killed if caught within this property", would it get you off the hook?

Back