Gt 40 mk2 gt 106

Could be... I just had a recollection that I can't confirm that HM instigated it. I might have dreamed that...

OTOH I was just going through Racing Icon's diary of the restoration of AMGT40/1 (http://www.racingicons.com/gt/amgt40-1/amgt40-1-5.htm ) which for a brief time was a MKIIB, kind of, and they refer to the dash as "the Holman Moody MKIIB dash and wiring" although arguably that's simply because HM were the ones that did the conversion from MkI to MkIIB.

Alan cannot get to the link. You mentioned AMGT-1 which was the chassis number of one of Alan Manns MKI lightweights from 1966. It was a small block and never a MKII. Alan Mann wanted to race these instead of the MKII at Le Mans . A test with Jackie Stewart and Graham hill established their preference for the MKII. The 1965 cars GT106 and GT107 were 7 litre big blocks further redesigning and test led to the 1966 MKII. The MKIIB in racing terms was virtually obsolete in the 1967 season. They were used as rabbits to try and break the Ferraris (Paul Hawkins MKIIB) and backup for the four MKIV's in the race.
I suppose there might have been cross corporation being the three teams Shelby, Holman and Moody and Alan Mann. But I thought the Alan Mann cars were built by the Alan Mann mechanics. Thats why they had their own chassis numbers XGT 1,2 and 3 (number three not being raced) for the MKII and AMGT1-2 for the MKI lightweights that were not used after the 1966 Le Mans trial. When Roy Lunn instigated the 1965 MKII program the protype car for the 1966 MKII car was called the X-car. This might explain Alan Manns chassis numbering. The only other X car was the X-1(chassis GT110) Can Am entry also 7 litre big block. I have seen P1046 the 1966 MKII winner being converted into a MKIIB with the MKIV's dashboard. Why would they uprate an obsolete car to test a new dash board when they had 1966 MKII still available to test on? Also Alan Mann was not invovled in the 1967 race for Ford.
Regards Allan

These pics are apparently AMGT1, the action pic is according to the pic title with Whitmore driving, the other pic Im told by more learned forum members is taken outside the HM workshop & appears to be one of the developement trans from Weissman [ Im guessing the two speed crash box with torque converter] This pic was posted by a member of the weissman family looking for further info as to date/location. It appears to be the same car going by the white ID stripes. Going by the width of the headers I would suggest its a big block, but could have been one of Gurneys 'tall' blocks as well.

Last edited:

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
You mentioned AMGT-1 which was the chassis number of one of Alan Manns MKI lightweights from 1966. It was a small block and never a MKII.

Allan --

Sorry I must have corrupted the link in a subsequent edit. Here's a better version:

http://www.racingicons.com/gt/amgt40-1/amgt40-1-5.htm

But, read the whole story and see if it changes your mind about all that...

Ford GT40 Restoration - Chassis AMGT40/1

Jac -- that same photo is in the story above with this caption:

"Holman and Moody converted AMGT40/1 into a pseudo MKIIB (427 engine, 58mm Weber carbs, automatic transmission, MKIIB style rollcage, dash, fiberglass seat, single vent hood, oil coolers, etc). After track testing, HM re-installed the original MKI 289 engine/ZF-1 transmission and sold the car to a private owner."

Last edited:
Hi Alan
From Ronnie Spains book it seems that Holman and Moody used the 1966 GT40/P1046 Le Mans winner as the test bed for modification to the MKIIB.
All the AMGT were 289 small blocks they were never 427 when Alan Mann had them in 1966.
Great that Holman and Moody got AMGT40/1 and converted it to a MKIIB in 1967??
But that must have been in 1967 if its to MKIIB specs!!? One of which was double Holleys so why webers? And does not fitting a 7litre engine in AMGT40/1 just proove that there was no faith in a lightweight small block as opposed to a 7 litre which the MKII was anyway. Like I said by 1967 the MKIIB was obsolete and used as a backup for the MKIVs.
Regards Allan

Hello all, new to this forum not to Ford competition vehicles.
I thought GT40/106 was the MK-I 7 liter that was found to have suspension mounting stress cracks, then cut up and used at Timken Bearing to mount in a dyno for the MK II transaxle bearing problems?

Attachments

• chassis test 3.jpg
    chassis test 3.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 385
. Thats why they had their own chassis numbers XGT 1,2 and 3 (number three not being raced) Regards Allan

Allen I believe XGT-3 is this car that was used as a Motorcraft promo vehicle, this is from 1977 when Don Eichstead owned the car. Thought the photos would have interest.

Attachments

• XGT3-04.jpg
    XGT3-04.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 539
  • XGT3-11.jpg
    XGT3-11.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 473
  • XGT3-13.jpg
    XGT3-13.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 613
Hi 6RO7mi
Your pictures of the chassis was taken in 1966 In Ronnie Spains book both GT/106 and GT107 were used as test bucks for the following 1966 season. It was GT/107 that was cut in half mounted on a dynamometer for Le Mans simulation. Replaced by GT40P/1032.
GT/106 testing at Daytona was curtailed when the lighter gauged chassis begain to tear away from the lower front suspension. A new chassis was ordered from FAV to replace it GT40P/1031.
Incidentially 6RO7mi what is your name? I find it weird to talk to people in code?
Regards Allan

Apologies Allen, my name is Jim! So was GT/106 the chassis used for the barrier crash test in Dearborn?

Attachments

• GT107-Crash Test Mar 67.jpg
    GT107-Crash Test Mar 67.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 429
Hi Jim
The only mention of Dearborn in Ronnie Spains book is for wind tunnel testing by GT/107.
The caption to your crash test is for GT/107. There is no mention of GT/106 being tested in Dearborn. So it remains to be seen that GT/107 was the only 'MKII' that was testing in Dearborn. Perhaps Ronnies new book will shed more light on this matter?
Regards Allan

Hi Jim
The only mention of Dearborn in Ronnie Spains book is for wind tunnel testing by GT/107.
The caption to your crash test is for GT/107. There is no mention of GT/106 being tested in Dearborn. So it remains to be seen that GT/107 was the only 'MKII' that was testing in Dearborn. Perhaps Ronnies new book will shed more light on this matter?
Regards Allan
I finaly checked the SAAC Registry 2008;
GT/106</SPAN>: Raced at LeMans on 6/19-20/65 (as #1) retired after 4 hrs. with gearbox troubles. At Daytona testing by K. Miles on 10/16/65 for half shaft behavior, testing was terminated when it was noted that the chassis had fractures at the suspension pick-up points. Chassis was replaced with P/1031. GT/106 was sold (date unknown) off to Timken Roller Bearing Co. and cut clean through 9” Fwd of rear bulkhead. Whereabouts of either half is not known.
GT/107: The fourth of four lightweight chassis and the second of two completed by Kar Kraft as 427 prototype car. Raced at LeMans on 6/19-20/65 (as #2) but DNF’d. Chassis was replaced with P/1032. GT/107 was crash tested on 3/67 following the deaths of Walt Hansgen and Ken Miles, both in GT-40 derivatives. Whereabouts and ultimate disposition of the wrecked chassis is not known (it was most likely discarded).

Interested if the new Spain book will agree?

Allan --

Sorry I must have corrupted the link in a subsequent edit. Here's a better version:

But, read the whole story and see if it changes your mind about all that...

Jac -- that same photo is in the story above with this caption:

"Holman and Moody converted AMGT40/1 into a pseudo MKIIB (427 engine, 58mm Weber carbs, automatic transmission, MKIIB style rollcage, dash, fiberglass seat, single vent hood, oil coolers, etc). After track testing, HM re-installed the original MKI 289 engine/ZF-1 transmission and sold the car to a private owner."

AMGT40/1 did have all of the MK II mods done by H-M. The tests were with a Weber equipped 427 and auto trans.

Back