GT engine and trans in a GT40

Just wondering if anyone has dropped the newer GT engine and transmission in to a GT40. I could only imagine the power!!!

Just saw a 2006 GT motor and transmission for sale with a asking price of $26,000.... for a lot less you can have a motor built with more power

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Just wondering if anyone has dropped the newer GT engine and transmission in to a GT40. I could only imagine the power!!!

Don't think it will fit; do a search for "ricardo" the maker of the GT transaxle.

BTW there are 600-700 bhp (and higher) GT40s running around.

Robert

I echo the comments of Mark and Alan. If I recall correctly, the GT engine is very wide, much wider than a "standard" V8. As far as using the transaxle, I think this has been discussed several times on this forum in the transaxle section.

As Mark said, you can easily build a "standard" V8 with a lot more power for a lot less money, maybe less than half of what you'd spend for a Ford GT engine (and that does not even consider the higher associated maintanence costs). And as Alan said, 600+ HP in a GT40 is not that uncommon.

On the surface, it would seem to make sense that a Ford GT engine/transaxle combination would be ideal for a GT40. But, it seems better suited for the Ford GT than it does a GT40.

If you're seriously considering this combination, the very first step is to contact the GT40 manufacturers and ask them if it will fit in their cars. If they say no, then the decision is pretty easy.

Eric

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Sometime late last year I was visiting SPF in Calif and saw first hand a modified SPf with the GT engine and trans package successfully installed in Mk1. Tight, doable and very awesome. Contact Hillbanks for more info.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
That would have been my choice for engines but it would not fit without really hacking the SPF tub to make it fit. I gave up on that engine combo idea and went with Dart aluminum 351 block bored to 427. But I have heard that you can order your SPF tub for the modular ford motor. If I had it to do all over again that would be what I would do. I really like the modular motor.

Here is a picture of the two, till you see them side by side its hard to imagine the difference.

Attachments

• IMG_9213.jpg
    IMG_9213.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 370
Back