GT40 50TH Reunion!

Will you attend a GT40 50th gathering?

• Just try to keep me and my car away!

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • I will be there and most likely with my car.

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • I will be there, but the 40 will not.

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • I hope to be able to attend.

Votes: 20 35.7%
  • I know I can't make it......have a beer for me.

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Meh!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Virginia and lots of Kiwi room!

This has been sort of on the back burner as Dennis and I have been busy with customers (a good thing!) but after the Indianapolis Vintage event next weekend we will sort out what will happen. It will not be a grand, high gloss event but it will be fun!

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Rick, I appreciate the work that has been done to organize a reunion but it seems like its sort of fizzling. Could it be considered that if we're going to do it then lets make it a grand high gloss event? Maybe postpone until next year and begin the planning and location selection now putting at the front of the line? I really liked the idea of the Glen just sounded like we were late to getting in the request and could not be accommodated. I'm sure there are lots of considerations and details I'm unaware of but am just wondering if its better to postpone if thats what it takes to make this the event it could be? Thanks

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Rick, I appreciate the work that has been done to organize a reunion but it seems like its sort of fizzling. Could it be considered that if we're going to do it then lets make it a grand high gloss event? Maybe postpone until next year and begin the planning and location selection now putting at the front of the line? I really liked the idea of the Glen just sounded like we were late to getting in the request and could not be accommodated. I'm sure there are lots of considerations and details I'm unaware of but am just wondering if its better to postpone if thats what it takes to make this the event it could be? Thanks

Lets get some input from other on this idea. I do prefer the Glen and if the idea of the "50th" can be allowed a little leeway perhaps we can do a better event?

What say the populace?

I am glad some others feeel the way I do. I was all geared up for the Glen for its significance, it location, and surrounding venues like the wine district and the close proximity of everyone. Some would like the hotel thing and others would like the surrounding locations whether it be the track or VRBO accommodations.
On the other hand VIR offers a great track(few if any barriers) that is great for the novice at the track(me included).
If I had to chose I would go with the Glen, mainly because I think that the wives and girlfriends should get something out of this as well. The countryside, lake, wine, parks and general surroundings would mean that enough time could be taken off for everyone to have a great time.
What season would we have to have to insure a good event? My choice would be summer or early fall. What dates would we be able to choose from if any??
I did some ground work on the VRBO aspect of that area, and established some good ties up there. I am sure we can get some great rates and packages for the various accommodations with the closeness of the track. Would be glad to help out.

Bill

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
My preference would be summer time while the kids are out of school and it could be combined into a family vacation.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
my .02 if I may. I suspect the 50 year 'big bash' is going to be in 2016, seems to make sense with the winning of Le Mans in 1966. If so, there may be plans brewing already with large organizations to commemorate and organize a "50 year GT40 Le Mans Reunion" and we (GT40s.com members) could effectively contribute alongside those already preparing.

It's hard to beat the '89 Glen and '09 RA reunion events, it would be nice to try though. In addition, that'll set the stage for a 50 year GT40 Le Mans Reunion of 2017.....and again in 2018.....an so it goes. Heck, we have 50 year reunions coming out our ears for years to come.

Tim

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Agreed, I want to do it this year but things seemed to have just not got off the ground soon enough to make that happen. I'll still do VIR if that's it but when the organizer starts suggesting it won't be grand then I get the impression its time to reload and plan it for next summer. I would be more than will to help but not sure where I will get calling RA or WG and telling them I want to put on a GT40 event. Need the important people to start making calls now and I'm not that important.

Personally, I would like to see it happen at the Glen and in 2015. This date will allow us to organize ourselves and still not be too far into the future as well as not to conflict with any other '50 th' celebrations. Additionally, it might make more original cars and racing personalities available due to lack of those conflicts. Rick is doing the organizing so it's up to him but my vote is for the Glen in 2015 with an event to coincide with a Vintage Racing weekend, summer or early Sept.
Rick - Your comments?

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Unlike other fortunate members here I did not make the '89 Glen but I did make the '09 RA. At RA, whomever organized that event, it undoubtedly had the GT40 as the marque. It wasn't dedicated like a Rennsport Porsche event but more like Monterey Historics and GT40 was the headliner. You were there for GT40's and you knew it, but also all the other glorious marques were present as well. My guess is Ford Racing had some influence there due to the large tent display show casing a dozen or more originals and Ford GT's hoisted in the air outside the entrance.

Living on the 'left coast' and not familiar with RA's annual events I'll bet the '09 reunion was their annual vintage event. So like Al mentioned, a popular vintage event would be a nice venue.

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Have any of you guys thought about what will happen at the Le Mans Classic in 2016 ...
It will be 50 years since the first win.... it will without doubt have more original cars there than you will ever see in the US...they will wheel out all the celebrities etc. Maybe even a one marque race, like at Goodwood Revival last year.. It could be a genuine ' bucket list ' event.
I would be more than willing to point you in the right direction regarding the perenial problem of accomodation.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Will Le Mans be making the gt40 the featured mark in 2016? That would make the most sense for a 50th anniversary. I have thought about bringing the car over a few times but the logistics seem daunting. Would be one hell of an experience to be doing some laps on that track!

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Hey I do not want to hijack Rick's thread but if there is serious interest in bringing cars in from USA I can start digging into the full logistics and requirements to be able to drive them in the UK and across to France.
Perhaps a return trip with a Spa track day and Nurburgring? Perhaps ending up with a Brands Hatch track day or perhaps Silverstone?

It has to be serious interest as it will involve 100's of hours of time to get all the logistics together.

Ian

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Hey I do not want to hijack Rick's thread but if there is serious interest in bringing cars in from USA I can start digging into the full logistics and requirements to be able to drive them in the UK and across to France.
Perhaps a return trip with a Spa track day and Nurburgring? Perhaps ending up with a Brands Hatch track day or perhaps Silverstone?

It has to be serious interest as it will involve 100's of hours of time to get all the logistics together.

Ian

Hijacks welcome. Lets get some good GT events going.

If Watkins Glen is the place, the SVRA vintage event early September is the logistic target. One it has GT history with the 1989 reunion taking place at it. Two it has the infrastructure that is needed to allow a proper event. If I start NOW on it we can likely fit into the 2015 event with track time either before the races or on Monday after the main event. They can supply limited track time during the event but full, long sessions would need to slot before or after.

What say you?

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Wow Rick, this thing has taken a tail spin and you've put a lot of time into it already. I wonder if we should have a new thread with a vote before you waste anymore time?

Last edited:
The Glen in Sept 2015 is excellent. count me in. A GT40 featured Marque gathering at the Vintage event would have just the right flavor and the venue is tailor-made. Those of us in New England/eastern NY should be able to caravan out.

Back