GT40 MK1 wheel/tyre sizes

Hi there

Firstly apologies if this seems like a stupid question as I am new to this site and don't know much about GT40's and replicas.

Can anyone tell me if there are different size wheels/tyres available for the GT40 mk1? I am particularly interested to know what wheels fit a GTD replica. I've seen lots of pictures of GT40's, some have enormous looking tyres on them like this Ford GT40 AM2 for sale
and some have much smaller looking ones like this New GT40 for sale

Any info on different wheel/tyre combos would be much appreciated

Thanks

Trev

http://www.gt40photos.co.uk/page88.html

The GT40 evolved greatly over the years that it was actively campaigned, 1964-1969, and tire/wheel technology improved greatly as well. The early cars were quite narrow, and wore what was the standard racing fare at the time--Borrani wire wheels and narrow tires. The wheels were 15 x 6.5 front and 15 x 8 rear.

By 1965, Halibrand magnesium wheels (in a style cast especially for the GT40) were used, in varying sizes from car to car, growing as large as (I believe) 15 x 8.5 and 15 x 10. Later, BRM six-spoke wheels were used, and the Gulf cars (and cars built to that spec) were issued wheels that were 15 x 10 and 15 x 14, with fenders suitably widened to cope.

Most GT40 replicas are issued with wheels in the 15 x 8 and 15 x 10 range (unless of course they are switching to 17-inch wheels).

Back