GT40 pics

dradprice3 said:
Anyone know what color 1009 was? i thought that was green too
Metallic Green originally. When Malcolm Gurie raced it it was in his colour of Grey and Maroon stripping after its crash a new chassis was purchased from JWAE and it was painted Grey and Maroon with a Gold pinstriping! Also according to Ronnie Spains book the crashed tube was rebuilt by Brian Winfield so there are two P1009!!!
By the way the 5 spoked wheels on P1008 are the same as used on the P68 Ford 3litre an Alan Mann car. You could buy these BRM (JWAE) wheels in 5 or 6 spoke configeration.
Regards Allan

Last edited:

Ron Earp

Admin
todh said:
Wrong or not, I think I would prefer this color to adding another Gulf livery to the world...

I agree with that. I sort of like the green. I'd like a little darker shade, but that one is unique and I've always liked the five spoke wheels on it compared to the 6 spoke BRMs that everyone has (self included). I wonder if this color might be the least (or never) replicated GT40?

Ron

Hey Ron,
I'll go and ask the wife tonight if I can change fromthe Scuderia paint job that's planned... care to lend me some steaks for my eyes though :O)

Brett

and also a green similar to that one (sooo 60s...) was used by ferrari on the 250 GTO for tourist trophy race..

Attachments

• FERRARI 250 GTO 500 KM 1965 SUTCLIFFE N.33.jpg
    FERRARI 250 GTO 500 KM 1965 SUTCLIFFE N.33.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 966
Some more pictures of the car at shelsley walsh hillclimb.

Attachments

• 20941628.FordGT40.jpg
    20941628.FordGT40.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 1,062
  • 20941686.Gt409.jpg
    20941686.Gt409.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 1,129
And a couple more. I really like this car.

Attachments

• 20922763.FordGT403.jpg
    20922763.FordGT403.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 1,320
  • 20941625.FordGT40.jpg
    20941625.FordGT40.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 1,000
I am really tempted to paint the RCR shop GT40 in this Linden Green as our body is very similar to the body on 1008 and I actually like the colour.......much like Pantera 1889...I think period colours look really cool.....

Nice Pics

Fran - I say go for it - i like the color too and it would sit nicely with the overhead shot you have in the shop. At least you'd be safe in it being the only one in Linden Green this side of the pond!

Looking at the pics it looks like 1008 has some different kind of mechanism to hold down the front/rear clip. Different type of hartwell?

Ron McCall

Supporter
gt40fran said:
I am really tempted to paint the RCR shop GT40 in this Linden Green as our body is very similar to the body on 1008 and I actually like the colour.......much like Pantera 1889...I think period colours look really cool.....

Do it Fran!!! That would look great! I'm not a big fan of the green wheels.I think you should put on some spokes!

Ron Earp

Admin
Do it - those green wheels are cool on that car too, IMHO. The colors used on the cars back in the day are really neat. I'm looking around for some period Lola colors as well. I like Ron's colors on his 40 too, perfect!

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Winecaveman, those are outstanding photos- clear and sharp. This car is a favorite of mine as well. I think it is now black and silver, or am I thinking of a different one? That green color is supposed to be called Linden Green, kind of a dusty spruce color. Looks good on that one. Then again, how many ugly GT40s have you seen?

Apropos of nothing in particular, I just got photos emailed me of 1097, which is nearing the end of a lengthy restoration in Ohio after its tub was bent in I think a track mishap. Car is now white with red stripes, black BRM wheels, looks stunning. Maybe its owner will post them here.....hint hint.

Correct me if I am wrong, but those are not Ferrari wheels, but Ford F3L wheels, which I believe 1054 is also fitted with.;)

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
There is another nuance that these pictures clearly show and that I was unaware of until Fran Hall put me straight: the difference between a Mk I and a MK III nostril panel. Apparently, many kits actually have Mk III nose panels. If you will take notice of the position of the nostrils in relation to the outside edge of the nostril panel on the green car, you will see that there is only ~1" between the nostril and the edge. Also notice the corresponding distance between the inside edges of the two nostrils. The nose panel shown on this car is a true Mk I nose panel. On the Mk III (see pic of my car here), the nostrils are set about 3" closer together and as a result have a much wider area between them and the outer edges of the panel.

The difference is not insurmountable if you are trying to interchange one for the other, but do be aware that there may be interference issues dependent on how the recessed lip on your nose clip was formed. (External dimensions seem to be identical, or nearly so.) In my case, putting a Mk I in a hole for a Mk III, I am going to have to relieve the inside vertical corners of the nostrils and/or the inside front corners of the panel opening in the front clip. Luckily there is not interference with the routing of radiator lines, etc. under the panel.

Regards,
Lynn

Attachments

• Nose1FF.jpg
    Nose1FF.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 794

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Lynn, nicely spotted !

Mine is much the same as yours (MK111, I guess) & I would have whole bunch of trouble with the wider-set MK1 - it would foul my fuse box on the LHS.

I also have the "deep nostril" option from DRB - & that makes things a lot tighter (the bottom edges of the nostrils go right down to the bottom of the radiator).

My guess is that the Mk1 was set as far apart as possible to accommodate the "spare" wheel on the originals ?

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Back