GTD Gearbox options

Guys,

because my primary GT40 has been sold it is time to start the GTD I am having on the bench since months.

Currently I am looking and planing the car as much as I can because this time my budged allows me to buy all parts at once to save money and build time.

The Kit I have is based on the GTD GT40 but has already the back from Southern GT ( which really should make a difference in handling )

I have some questions regarding gearboxes.

I have an option to
- either go with a Renault UN1 rebuild by Lastpago ( he is doing an incredible job at the moment for the gearbox of the sold GT40) and use Renault bell housing, small flywheel, starter, clutch, etc....this would save significant weight and would overcome the problem of the full-sized bell housings supplied by some dealers burning the slave cylinder.

- or go with a Porsche G50 Gearbox, Adapter plate, special made clutch and shifting peripherals

For the UN1 in a GTD ( with Southern GT End) what is the correct driveshaft ...any idea ?

Same question for the G50, do we have champs here having a G50 in a GTD ?
How easy is the setup, what clutch rate you using, bearings, flywheels, and so on ?

Cheers
(C)arlos

Malcolm

Supporter
I only knew of one GTD with a G50 in it and that was running a Chevy engine. Apart from the Quaife ZFQ being good in a Southern GT rear ended car the vast majority of GTDs ran Renault. I guess it depends how much development work you like or follow the crowd. I wold be surprised if Mick could not provide you with driveshafts to suit your car, but which ever route you go, talk to him about the gear shift as he does a very very good system for the renault or quaife.

This is a Ford engined GTD running a G50 gearbox

Attachments

• DSCF1016.JPG
    DSCF1016.JPG
    193.3 KB · Views: 481
  • DSCF1028.JPG
    DSCF1028.JPG
    214.1 KB · Views: 533
  • DSCF1029.JPG
    DSCF1029.JPG
    190.9 KB · Views: 531
@Malcom, yuip I am in Contact with Mick, of course..

@ Frank that looks very interesting .....will drop you a PM...

Any other guys here with a Porsche Box in a GTD ?

Cheers
(C)arlos

Looking at pics, I am a bit sceptical about the driveshafts alignements.

Questions :

Is the car on stands? (wich would explain why we have a so wide angle for the driveshafts).

Because if this is correct height and then angle, there should a high stress on the CV joints and also vibrations.

Old memories (but getting old...so not always perfect & accurate) said 2 or 3 degrees are the best angles and to not go over 10°. I believe a 6 to 7 degrees for the shafts according to the expected driveshaft speed should be what would be acceptable.

The gearbox seems to stand very high, wouldn't it be better to flip it? and then reduce the angles.

On a porsche 996, the angles seem to be more closer to a 4-5°.

Cheers

Back