Ray Christopher and the GTD

Mike Pass

Supporter
Here is a link to a Youtube video about Ray Christopher and how GTD came about. A bit of GT40 replica history from KVA to GTD. Some interesting info about variants and numbers built. Without Ray and GTD the GT40 replica world would look a lot different as the Southern GT was developed from the GTD by Mick Sollis and has now become the AK40.
I will look out some pics of Ray and his aluminium open GT40 at the Manx Classic a few years ago and some recent pics of some of the cars Ray had a hand in.
Cheers
Mike

Thanks for the link, Mike. A trip down memory lane. Visited Ray and Graham, several times at their Poole factory; initially to see what the GTD was all about and later to buy lots of bits and pieces during my long, 7-year build of my own version of the GT40. At that time, 1987- 97, my parents lived in Bournemouth, so when I came home for a visit, I quite often used to drop into GTD and have a chat. They were always friendly and super helpful. I bought one of the first GTD bodies taken from their moulds. They helped me out a great deal in 1997 when I was emigrating from Europe back to Canada. The car had to be completely finished and road legal or Transport Canada would not allow it to be registered for the road in Canada. A couple of the GTD guys helped with finishing the body work and painting the car. Paint job still looks great today! Wouldn't have got it done in time without their help.
Lots of fond memories!

Mike Pass

Supporter
Here are a few pics of Ray and the yellow open aluminium chassis 40 at the Manx Classic back in 2008. Ray looking a bit furtive with the sunglasses but happier at the post event celebrations with assorted GTD40 club members. The other pic is from a recent NW Club meeting with Pete Thompson's 40 sandwiched between two of Ray's products - Dave Combey's GTD Lola T70, which was recently road registered and Brian Walker's Spectre R42 ( one of Ray's last projects).
Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• Ray Sloc.jpg
    Ray Sloc.jpg
    590.4 KB · Views: 250
  • Ray sloc 2.jpg
    Ray sloc 2.jpg
    502.1 KB · Views: 222
  • 40s Sloc.jpg
    40s Sloc.jpg
    532.1 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_0936.jpg
    IMG_0936.jpg
    421.6 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_20230705_210255.jpg
    IMG_20230705_210255.jpg
    607.6 KB · Views: 255

Mike Pass

Supporter
Nope. 9KVP is Pete Thompson's honeycomb chassis car which was built as scratch build by Tom Laffey as a race car. It had a very special destroked 289 down to 4.4 litres which did 525hp on the dyno at EDA. Now runs a 428ci stroked W351 and G50 box.
Cheers
Mike

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Nope. The chassis was built by Mike Houghton as a development for Tornado Sports cars.
We also supplied all of the other parts to Tom Laffey as part of a sponsorship deal for racing in the replica series.

Mike Pass

Supporter
Here is a pic of one of Ray Christopher's early GT40 cars from the crossover period when they changed from KVA to GTD. This is a car I had some years ago and is a KVA/GTD. A Ray Christopher product - not a tornado, no tornado parts or input - just a car relevant to the theme of this thread.
Cheers
Mike
1699979716067.png

Mike Pass

Supporter
Here is the link another Youtube video with Ray chatting about GTDs and GT40s. A bit about the alloy chassis car also.
Cheers
Mike

MWGT40

Supporter
Here are a few pics of Ray and the yellow open aluminium chassis 40 at the Manx Classic back in 2008. Ray looking a bit furtive with the sunglasses but happier at the post event celebrations with assorted GTD40 club members. The other pic is from a recent NW Club meeting with Pete Thompson's 40 sandwiched between two of Ray's products - Dave Combey's GTD Lola T70, which was recently road registered and Brian Walker's Spectre R42 ( one of Ray's last projects).
Cheers
Mike
Lovely to see those old memories. My car was the silver one, 6 GTD. The car has been substantially improved since that time (and is now in Gulf colours) but was still great then. A great group of guys to have fun with. I remember those times fondly.

Glenn M

Supporter
Cheers
Mike

Loved the Sloc. That was my favourite section of the Manx classic. There are some very young looking people in those photos! ;)

Last edited:

Malcolm

Supporter
First year we all went to the Isle of Man for The Three Hills Challenge (not Manx Classic, a separate event) it was a bit snowy. The first day before any competition a lot of us walked the course and Ray built snow men at each apex to help us all hit the spot. All melted by race day but fun nevertheless.

Glenn M

Supporter
First year we all went to the Isle of Man for The Three Hills Challenge (not Manx Classic, a separate event) it was a bit snowy. The first day before any competition a lot of us walked the course and Ray built snow men at each apex to help us all hit the spot. All melted by race day but fun nevertheless.
You could still aim for the carrots and bits of coal though Malc?

Sorry my friend I’m just starting another build so will be busy once again ,if I were you it may be worth having a go yourself if I can help with advice or parts then I will, some pics for inspiration ,ours are stainless steel ceramic coated no wraping and no problems

Attachments

• d4edf346-17ed-4791-bc1f-e6c8d7160c95.jpeg
    d4edf346-17ed-4791-bc1f-e6c8d7160c95.jpeg
    240.3 KB · Views: 94
  • 40e88f4e-3e3b-471e-956f-1356a45afbb2.jpeg
    40e88f4e-3e3b-471e-956f-1356a45afbb2.jpeg
    264.7 KB · Views: 91
  • 5f0faad0-886e-43ee-841f-cf6d6beb2f24.jpeg
    5f0faad0-886e-43ee-841f-cf6d6beb2f24.jpeg
    271.7 KB · Views: 87
  • 20170128_162731_001.jpeg
    20170128_162731_001.jpeg