GTD shifter linkage

I have seen on bobs gtd post that he has the same shifter linkage as me .
But inside his car the shifter is reverse compare to mine ( on mone rear and second gear are up) .
The second think and that I want to have a more precise system .
There is some space between the axle and the hole in the master piece .
Do you now if I can buy somewhere this masterpiece new ?

Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 407

Mike Pass

Supporter
Hi Manu,
I am not too sure what you mean by the masterpiece but the original GTD cable change is not too good and when worn is even worse. I know because I have one on my GTD. I am shortly going to change it for a rod change. You can get these from Frank Catt at Wealden Engineering, Mick Sollis at Southern GT etc. Mick also does a gear change lever mechanism which is like the original item. Both are based around 5/8"stainless steel rod. etc.
The Renault box is well known for not being the best or fastest change in the world and however good the change setup is, the box still has it's limitations.
Cheers
Mike

I was talking about the pieces were cable are connected on the box .
What I don't understand is that on the picture that are attached it is the Renault gearbox , same connexion on the box but on my car the shifter is reverse compare to the other picture I attach .

Malcolm

Supporter
Mick Sollis and Southern GT can do a solid rod conversion on your car that will give you what you are looking for. It is the best conversion out there and fair priced. I had it done to my GTD and it is very good.

Salut Manu

Effectivement la sélection est inversée entre ces deux montages... Sais pas pourquoi, mais ça doit venir de la configuration du levier de vitesse qui doit être différente.

Je te conseille aussi de suivre l'avis de Mike ou Malcom, j'ai moi aussi sur ma GTD une sélection par tringlerie, et c'est un autre monde par rapport aux cables du montage GTD de base. Ca en vaut vraiment le coût qui reste raisonnable. Tu retrouve du feeling et une meilleure précision...
En plus, mon mécanisme de levier est très inspiré de celui des GT40 originales et c'est vraiment beaucoup plus joli (mais première en bas...).

I give up ,which smart arse on here can translate this ?? :) Its beyond the stuff we learned school. Or shall we just leave it and all pretend we know what its about?

Bob

I give up ,which smart arse on here can translate this ?? :) Its beyond the stuff we learned school. Or shall we just leave it and all pretend we know what its about?

Bob

Hi Manu

Actually the selection is reversed between these two fixtures ... Not know why, but it must come from the configuration of the gear lever to be different.

I also advise you to follow the advice of Mike and Malcolm, I also have on my GTD selection by linkage, and it is another world compared to cable assembly GTD base. It is well worth the cost is reasonable. You find the feel and accuracy ...
In addition, my lever mechanism is inspired by the original GT40 and it's really much nicer (but first down ...).

Easy peezy ( with a little help from Google) ..........go on say it, clever dick :idea:

Mange tout Rodney Mange tout :)

I have looked at this GTD cable system and I think they made it work of sorts with no further developments or improvements . I am sure with a bit of ingenuity it could be made to work the correct way round in the standard H pattern without feeling so vague.

Bob

Malcolm

Supporter
Rose joints instead of the knuckle joints, insulate the cables at the gearbox end but no to changing gate pattern without redesign of a lot of it. It can work well but you will never get feel with cables. Take time with alignment and set up.

There is no doubt that an awful lot of cable changes were never really "breathed" upon and have given problems to most over the years.

However, if you do replace all the knuckle joints with good quality rose joints and make sure there is no play in sleeving or bolts, both at the gear lever end and the gearbox, you can have a very tight and precise gear change mechanism which will be nigh on perfect. Do make sure you heat sleeve the cables if they run near exhaust piping and that the cables themselves are very well greased.

I speak with much experience as i happily circuit raced my 40 with a fabulous "breathed" upon cable system, until i supposedly upgraded with a rod system after nearly a hundred trouble free events. I say supposedly, because at times the rod linkage has not proved as fast under extreme pressure.

If any of you have the cable change and do not want to have the effort and cost needed to retro fit a rod linkage, do look at "tightening" up your system for very little outlay and time.

Back