Hello from Auckland New Zealand

Hi everyone,
What a great site, glad I stumbled upon it. Lots of great info and reading to do here. I own a MKI and a MKII, both 1/18th scale diecast, made in China :laugh:. I've always wanted one though and came close many years ago when I spotted a shell on the back of a transporter. I tracked the guy down and nearly bought one, can't remember why I didn't now, proberbly because all my spare time and money was going into the business. Right now I can't afford to do much and I don't have anywhere to do a build either, so I'll just keep reading here. I did have one thought though. There might be a few guys around the Auckland area with a bit of knowhow, if 5 of us got together and bought this we could get together and build ourselves one each...

Have a great day
Mason Clarke

WELCOME TO THE FORUM. With an initial investment of 15K you have only the molds and a frame jig. Good price when divided 5 ways. Good luck.

Welcome aboard Mason, NZ must just about have more sets of GT40 molds per capita than anywhere else on the planet & those ones have been around for a long time now. There have been a few completed cars for sale on T/Me at fairly reasonable $$ from time to time if thats what your after. Look long & hard before you leap is the best advice I would give.

Welcome aboard Mason, NZ must just about have more sets of GT40 molds per capita than anywhere else on the planet & those ones have been around for a long time now. There have been a few completed cars for sale on T/Me at fairly reasonable $$ from time to time if thats what your after. Look long & hard before you leap is the best advice I would give.

Yep, there is a lot to be said for buying a finished one. If need be then you can strip it down and rebuild it your way. At least then all the parts are there. The amount of extra time and money you will spend sourcing and making parts will amount to years.

Check this out Mason - it still may be for sale.
Ford GT40 for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand

Even at around $60k you will get a bargain. If you build your own from the moulds and jigs as above, bank on at least $100k and several years.
And those look like they are the old GT40NZ moulds.

Thanks guys.
Sure do appreciate the advice Jac Mac and Bruce - if I had a spare 60k I would have been onto that one real quick. Oh well, just have to keep buying the lotto tickets, putting a stash away each month and see how it goes.

Cheers
Mason

Hi Mason and Welcome

Have seen that kit on Trademe and noticed the buy now price was $49500. The GT40 that is complete and up for sale that lives in Coromandel and was recently in a magazine spread here can be bought for $60000. I know which one would end up cheaper in the end.

In addition, there is a thread on the Trademe Motoring Forum at the moment, where someone under the username is wizzbikz is interested in an unfinished kit or moulds. Have a look here. Maybe you guys couold get in touch with each other. Trade Me - New Zealand Online Auctions and Classifieds

Nice to see another kiwi here. Lots of things to be learnt on this site.

Cam Townshend
Auckland, NZ

Thanks for the link Cam. I think I'm going to follow the experienced advice given here for now... It'll happen one day I'm sure. In the meantime I'll keep reading here - just to remind me why I have to get up and get in the Auckland rush hour traffic every morning.

Cheers
Mason

Back