Hello from Oktoberfest City

I'm Bernard from Munich, Germany.
A visit to Le Mans Classic this year has relit the fire for the gt40 after I had read about the Tornado GT40 in 91 or 92 in 'which kit' (I believe it was, it had the Westfield SEIght in red on the cover, that I do remember) and in 93 about a dark blue GTD40 on the cover of another kitcar mag.
Reading up on the subject right now and the amount of info and rightout knowledge is overwhelming to say the least. Quite contagious too regarding what I want a replica to have to make it closer to the original (correct angle of switch panel on the dashboard or 'correct wheel cutout on the front wing to nAme a few) all things I would not have paid attention to before browsing g this forum.

No kitcar experience myself apart from fitting front and rear suspension on a caterham 7 as part of a project at university that dealt with analysis and possible improvement of the suspension kinematics of 7.
However, I prepare and modify my BMW 320is (E30) for the track (primarily Nordschleife) myself.
What interests me most at the moment is getting insight in how well the spaceframes or monocoques have been designed and the same for the suspension. In that respect I would love to see some objective data, like the torsional stiffness of the CAV chassis (what is its bending stiffness?) I found the other day.

As for now I will be lurking and searching and see if I can find an opportunity to get a closer look at the different makes at meetings or the like.
Regards,
Bernard

Last edited:
Hello and good luck with your reseach. You have definately found the right place for the best information!

The trouble you will find I think, is that even within a single make, you will see massive differences in detail dependant upon the builder, his preferences, budget, or level of desire to acheive 'correctness'.

Therefore I beleive any make can be made to look very convincing if a period look is your desire.

Welcome Bernard. As Mark stated this is the place to satisfy your GT40 desires. Regarding the CAV chassis I believe you might find answers regarding the chassis at their website in S. Africa. www.cav.co.za Also, Jean Foure is the man to answer any additonal questions. Good Luck.

Back