How about a Silverstone GP circuit Track Day

Also - I know its not a '40' - but how many times do you see a BMW Mini - chase down and hassle a Ferrari 360? Especially one that was screaming like mad as it tried to escape the manic mini.

Attachments

• 36980-114_1411Boost Min+Ferr.JPG
    36980-114_1411Boost Min+Ferr.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 288
Depends whether its driven by a BMW 3.2L Evolution M3 engine with approx 345 BHP I suppose - and still a tad cheaper than the Ferrari (a large tad I suspect)..

Attachments

• 36981-114_1412Boost Mini.JPG
    36981-114_1412Boost Mini.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 285

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Well done guys, nice pictures. Did you have to ring your carpets out as I did at Knockhill? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Maybe your cars are better sealed than mine. My sessions were Sat AM dry PM wet, Sun AM wet PM dry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif On the way home on saturday, a pool of water seemed gather in the door hinge area, then after a time, a shower of droplets would fly in my face. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Well it was funny at the time, but some serious waterproofing required I think.
regards
Dave

Malcolm

Supporter
It was a good day and glad of the good weather by the end, most enjoyable so thanks to Charles and Martin for the rides. Very few 40s or replicas are watertight from my experiences, but the seat heaters in my Saab on the way home dried me out nicely!

One thing I learnt was that super smooth painted floors can be very slippery. This was highlighted when a Radical (very nice cars!) came into the pit garage next to Charles and Martin, applied his brakes, locked up and slid straight into the back of his mates car. Ouch!

When I last drove at Silverstone the circuit was boring. With the changes over the last few years it is much improved and I can't wait for a chance to give it a go now. However it still needs some vertical changes of direction to be as good as Brands Hatch GP, but better than Donnington! IMHO of course!

Great day out.

I belive Martin is considering exchanging his race suit, and helmet for a wet suit and water wings while getting Frank to fit a rudder instead of the ZF!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MWGT40

Supporter
Absolutely! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gifIt was absolutely peeing down all morning. Hanger Straight was a nightmare with masses of surface water everywhere. You had to just aim down the middle and boot it, clinging on for dear life! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

The 40 behaved really well and I was able to get past many cars in these awful conditions. A testimony no doubt to the Goodyear F1 Eagle GS-D3s I just put on rather than the ability of the driver! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Martin

Glad to hear you like those tires, Martin. I have them on my car, and I've heard that they do very well in the wet. A good tire for English driving, I would think.

I managed to get along to the track for the afternoon, and I'm glad I did. It was great seeing just a couple of 40s have such a great time, among lots of other fast cars. As well as the big engined mini, there were a number of Porsche GT3RS's and the usual gaggle of M3s etc.
Very nice to chat to the owners and other visitors in such a relaxed atmosphere.
Cheers

Back