How do I fit an Oil temp guage to ZF D25 Transaxle?

I would like to monitor the oil temp of my ZF box and have been looking for a suitable blanking plug that I can remove and replace with my temperature sender. I have found a possible candidate on the right hand side of the casing. It is a hex head bolt mounted low down, about two inches in front of the gearchange mechanism.

My problem is I dont know if this is just a blanking bolt or if it is attached to something internal in the gearbox. I dont want to risk removing it until I know it is safe to do so.

Any advice would be gratefully accepted.

Tom

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Tom,

There's a schematic at RBT Transmission that may help you,

http://www.rbttrans.com/graphics/5ds25_2_parts.pdf

Some of those side hex bolts hold a spring and plunger so be careful. As far as I'm aware most who install a temp sender are drilling out a boss on the casing.

You refer to the right side and gear change and I'm going to hazard a guess your ZF is a later -2 that has been inverted (prior Pantera application). In it's original Pantera application it would have had a breather on the top almost in line with the drive axles. That may have been blanked off and as it would now be on the bottom could possibly be used as a temp sender port.

Julian

Check out the scanned portions of the ZF repair manual, here:

ZF parts description.jpg

ZF case.jpg

I suspect the bolt you're referring to is #120 in the drawing (note that the gearbox is in the Pantera orientation here, so you have to use your imagination a bit). According to the description, it is a drain plug, although there appears to be a bit more going on than one would assume, because there are other parts #117 and #118 (a peg and a spring, respectively) there, and I don't know what their function is.

I tried phoning Lloyd Butfoy to ask him, but he's already left for the day...

Ron McCall

Supporter
Check out the scanned portions of the ZF repair manual, here:

View attachment 66152

View attachment 66151

I suspect the bolt you're referring to is #120 in the drawing (note that the gearbox is in the Pantera orientation here, so you have to use your imagination a bit). According to the description, it is a drain plug, although there appears to be a bit more going on than one would assume, because there are other parts #117 and #118 (a peg and a spring, respectively) there, and I don't know what their function is.

I tried phoning Lloyd Butfoy to ask him, but he's already left for the day...

The pin(117) has a small nipple on the end which engages in a hole in the bearing race that is pressed into the case to support the front of the pinion. The spring makes sure that it stays there.

Back