How I selected a GT40 - Long

Hi Ron,

I am beginning to get the hang of hp and torque in relation to a 2300lb car. Everything I know concerning hp figures with street cars and driveabilty have just recently gone out the window. My Intrpeid R/T with 242 hp reaches peak torque at 3900 rpm, something like 220 lbs ft, weighing in at 3600 lbs. A GT40 makes my car feeling like the Love Boat! The R/T does not like to rev though and runs out of breath long before its 6,500 rpm redline. I usually shift around 5,500 rpm where it picks up right at the beginning of all the torque around 3,500 rpm for the next gear.

I am not a hp freak and know there is always someone with more hp. It is not my intention to street race anyone as these day are somewhat over. I don't mind having a bit of a an occasional go at a light with the locals but this would rarely happen in my 40... you think???

My concern was having a 302 putting out only 300 hp. The Levy 306 has satisfied and silenced my concerns upon further study. I quite like the idea of a 7,500 rpm small block, like the 306. It must sound imcredible - F1 like?

Ron Earp

Admin
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Knighton Warbeck:
I don't mind having a bit of a an occasional go at a light with the locals but this would rarely happen in my 40... you think???
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, only just like everytime it hit the highway. I've been driving around in a Lotus Esprit lately and every young fellow with a coffee can on his Honda, not to mention the Mustangs and Camaros, wants to race. Anything people aren't used to seeing makes them want race it seems.

Ron

Back