How Many Pilots?

No license, but have a bunch of stick time in 150's, 172's, Commanches & Bonanzas. Unfortunately lost my Father and Uncle in a said Bonanza. Still go up with friends and take the stick occasionally but though. Wife won't let me tempt fate too often. Too bad about the timing with my father though. He was negotiating to buy an F4U Corsair at the time. Now that would have been a ride!

I have about 60 logged hours in my dad's Comanche 250 but never got my license. Flying is still in my blood, but motorcycles and cars are a little more accessible. If only I could have had a fraction of his flying career.

30 years active duty Air Force as a Chief Flight Surgeon (1957-1987).
8,000+ hours in 72 different aircraft including, helicopters, naval carrier landings, the Goodyear Blimp, and 300 hours of combat flying in vietnam in multiple different aircraft. Not bad for a doctor.

No license, but have a bunch of stick time in 150's, 172's, Commanches & Bonanzas. Unfortunately lost my Father and Uncle in a said Bonanza. Still go up with friends and take the stick occasionally but though. Wife won't let me tempt fate too often. Too bad about the timing with my father though. He was negotiating to buy an F4U Corsair at the time. Now that would have been a ride!

I lost my father in his Comanche 250. He was lost doing what he loved to do. A full Military career but was still young at 55 years old.

SEL here also! I been in and out of aviation since 1961. I've flown; Glider, Tri-Champ and a regular Champ, Cessna 150, 170, 172, 182, 195, Piper 150, Cherokee 140, 180, 182, Cherokee Six, Aero Star, Mooney21, Beech 18, Britin Islander, Stampe ( French Biplane ), WACO-UPF7, Fairchild 24, Chipmunk, Gruman A1E, Gruman Goose, and a LongEZ. I was a partner in owning a 1961 Cessna 172 on floats that we bought in Bermuda in 1967. We brought it back to the US in a USAF C-130..... long story! I gave up flying a couple of years ago. It's become too much $$$$ ! Race cars, guitars, airplanes and beautiful girls; never enough money for all of them!

Urs

Supporter
Hey FRPGUY

you builded the long ez self?
i also flew long ez after i got my ticket. it s very nice to fly.
i also fly bücker jungmann ,bücker jungmeister,katana,onedesign,votec 322,votec 351,pilatus P2 but only 1 or two hours,and p51 but only as passenger;),now a votec with allison turbine and a T6 is soon completed .

RAF - Canberra (B2, B15, B16, T4), Jet Provost, Chipmunk, Beaver (last 2 as instructor in Zambia Air Force)
Squadron pilot and QFI, Instrument Rating Examiner.
Started flying 1961, last flying tour ended 1972, left RAF 1975. Haven't flown since and haven't wanted to.
Leonard - I'm reminded of a RAF Flight Safety poster of the 60s, in which the message was 'Light Aircraft Aren't Toys'. They can bite you just as quickly and just as hard as a fast jet. We had extreme difficulty convincing the Zambians of this - until one of them killed himself in a Chipmunk.
Tony

Ron Earp

Admin
Well, we've only got statistics on the general population for licensed pilots so we'll only be able to count licensed pilots here for comparison purposes. Seems like the unlicensed guys have flown a lot more interesting craft than some of the licensed guys, I only get to fly boring stuff!

Anyhow, looks like we're up to 18 licensed pilots thus far and I know a few more on the forum that have not chimed in yet!

Ron

I have been an active pilot of small aircraft since 1982 and still flying. The medical each year becomes more worrying as time goes by, however!

Chris

URS, Do you have a "One Design"? I used to make all the composite parts for that plane and the two place "One Design"
Ron, any airplane can be exciting! You know the saying; Long boring times broken up with moments of terror!

Air Force Aviation Cadet in 1953
Piper Cub, T-6, T28, T-33, C-45, C46, C-47,B-25, B-47, B-52, Lockheed Super Connie (1st airborn early warning radar platform), and Beech Bonanza.

Hi all,
SEL, tail dragger endorsement. I owned a 1967 Cessna 150 for a few years and now I fly a friends Piper Colt taildragger. I have about 300 hours logged and many never logged. I built the airframe for a Midget Mustang but stopped working on it to build my GT40. I plan to finish the Mustang in a year or so when my GT is done. I love to fly, it's freedom!

Steverockonsmile

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Yep, I be one too, over the years owned many and sold all of them. Aerostar, MU-2G, citation 500 long-wing, Duke, Skymaster, Musketeer, and my last plane was Carbon Sting which I sold to a great guy who lives in Australia August 2007. Now I am a ground pilot, VFR only and no night driving. :)

Attachments

• IMG_8204.jpg
    IMG_8204.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 299
Back