How to get a GT40 street legal in Germany!

Hi everybody,

being new to this forum and to the gt40 theme I hope some of you experienced guys may have an answer on some of my questions.
Quit experienced with old XJs I decided to realize my 'own' GT40. Unfortunately I had to find out that it's obviously very difficult to bring a new GT40 replica onto german streets. I suppose that's the reason why there is no GT40 community at all in Germany. Or is there? I already tried to get some information about this from some of the manufactures - their answers were (if they did answer at all) anything else but exhausting. I know of some posibilities that did work in the past and sometimes still work today, but there is no more guaranty.
I really would appreciate if you could help me with this an provide me with some more reliable information if possible.

Thanks for your help,
Andreas Philipp

p.s.: maybe I should consider to migrate to a more GT40 friendly country
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Hi andreas, send me a mail, i know some one who realize GT40 replica in germany.

regards
Olivier

I'm sure I've seen replicas advertised on that website (the big one owned by Ebay with all the cars for a sale on it)

Also surely a car that is street legal in the EC anywhere should be legal in Germany provided it can pass its TUV test ? Or is this too naive an interpretation of EU benefits......

your example is not ok in france josvdp.... a geman car doesn't drive in france with french registration, it's impossible...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Hi Andreas,
I have the same problem in Italy, with the addiction here people still looks at the gt40 as the anti-ferrari(also if we have some originals here). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif...and nobody wants to help u.
The only way i think u have to get one streetable is to MOT that in UK,maybe finishing the engine there asking someone with experience and then bring it to germany as a "normal" used car.
Uk remains (thanks God) the only place where such cars can be plated, and they are in EU.
Consider if u have an EU car plate (including Qs) u can convert it in any other country of the union(beware,almost in italy u cannot do this with all american and australian cars).
In Italy they dunno much more about those vehicles, just they told me..WE NEED an EU car plate...any of it!(and obviously the related documents those cars surely will have to get the British road plate)

I have some friends doing regularry that with Cobras,Radical and Noble, all now with a regular italian plate.
The trip to Uk is not so hard and expensive, and is really really fun(just i suggest u to rent something to transport the car...cause those drinks fuel as i do with Chianti....and here 1 liter green fuel is for 1,30 euros....)

Paul

P.s THIS THIS is a "normal" italian Radical...

Thanks for your reply on my post,

unfortunately things are slightly more complicated over here. That's the reason for a practically not existing kit car scene over here. There are several ways to get kit cars street legal in Germany ... and in some cases it's even easy. The more or less easy ways are always connected with the keywords 'donor car'. The problem starts with the fact that I want to buy a new kit and build up the car on my own. In best case (if ever - there are several other problems you have to solve before that) it's finally finished and will be treated like a new car. But that means: this car needs to have a catalyst - otherwise you will never get street legal papers for the car. No matter what. So if you don't have for example a minimum early 80's GT40 donor car for the paper work you will have to do a lot of really crazy engine engineering stuff. I not very experienced with 289/302 V8 engines yet, so maybe there is an easy solution I don't know about. Sure there is always a way to put in some emmission friendly engine ... but what's that got to do with a GT40? ;-)
Another posibility is to build the car in Germany register it in the UK and then re-register it after a let's say 6 months in Germany ... this worked for quit a long time ... and still does sometimes, and it's after the law, but ... german civil servants don't like this method too much ... if don't have so called 'good friends' in certain positions it's very likely to face a registration desaster. You should never rely on that! So I think it's time to go back to L.A.
;-))

Regards,
Andreas Philipp

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Andreas

In Australia we must register our GT40's as brand new, emissions complying cars. This means that all cars built for road use now have to have a modern EFI motor. For GT40's, this means using Ford's 4.6ltr V8 or their 5.4ltr V8. The 5.4 is too wide so the 4.6 seems to be the only Ford alternative. Because this engine is in the current Ford Explorer sold in this country, it satisfies our emissions laws for use in kit cars. At present, Australia is the only place where 4.6ltr V8 engines are being used in GT40's, so it might be possible to export one from here. I am sure there are other problems that you will face, but Australia also exports other new vehicles to England already, so it must be possible to do this.....

Bill.

for what about the assemby of your own gt40 in our countries,authorities were very very clear with me.
U simply can never make it streetable, also cause here they require a crash test, also for small serie cars(with NCAP specs..)
And here is also illegal, cause italian statement will consider u exactly as Fiat or Alfa Romeo factory, for safety systems and co2 emissions.
U can anyway build it and use only for races.

The matter is probably that u up there want to work follow anyway the laws,and respecting at all TUV specs.
I think nowadays also there they just work to make american imported cars streetable in europe(for this German TUV is the only door to have in europe cars as Dodge or american Fords, including the new Ford Mustang).
For me is even more a big problem, cause i have many friends from ex Autodelta Garages,Carrozzeria Pavesi, Scuderia del portello, and i will be too curious to see how can come a gt40 assembly done by them,including a good engine preparation done by Oral Engeneering by Mauro Forghieri.
I could do this, and being now names not so popular here, do not think all this will cost so much...

Here i wellknow how our offices works,and i am ready to do the impossible to have mine one here (also working on the edge of laws,as Ferrari does with omologation of 360Challenge stradale and Enzo,for sale with a full race exhaust system already istalled on the cars.They obtain a special omologation done ONLY for them..).
But do not believe it is this way just cause i am italian...i know some guys in Sweden doing the same to have gt40s on the streets (and T70s.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif).If we talk about safety they are absolutely right(for u and for whom near u),but Co2 emissions are laws done only to avoid u to make your own dream.

And i personally think those gt40 replicas are too nice and often too closer to original cars to let them be only a british roadrunner.

Paul

Hi Andreas,
I had my gtd40 registraded from England in Holland.
It toke my 8 months.
You know if you buy a 2e-hand gt40 with an Europian licence (EG) than every Europian country (EG)
have let the car to be registraded in there country, because all the vin-codes of all Eurapian cars are registraded central (I think Brussel).
In Germany you can your car registrade as an oldtimer, I can get you in concact with German people who can help withn that.
Another way is contact Herman Eshuis (www.autoeshuis.nl).He sales many kitcar (sorry for the word) to Germany.
I hope you will get the car legal on the road in Germany.

Luc

Hi everybody,

first - thanks to all of you GT40 loving guys trying to discuss and help me with this. I'm glad having found this forum!

to paul.
ciao Bello,
sorry that I didn't reply on your post immediateley ... great car on THIS link! Are you somehow related to? Milano is not to far from Stuttgart so we could work out some miles ;-))
I know - emmissions are not the only problem on this subject. I mentioned that in a subordinate clause. The all official way eihter needs an official specimen expert's report for the dream killer 'Kraftfahrtbundesamt' to get a so called ABE or a very well disposed TÜV official engineer. I'ld prefer #1 ... but to honest - it's very very unrealistic. In both cases it's a subject of many many €€€€€€€. Let's keep in touch man ... maybe we can figure out an official cool way to park our GT40 in front of the plant in Maranello!
;-))

to olivier.
Ça va toi? Thanks a lot for your help man ... just received an email this morning. I'll keep you up to speed!

to bill.
This is very good news. I found a really impressive picture of a 4.6 engine with a really weird cat/exhaust system on the forum. Didn't find any information about the therefor used gearbox. Do you know some more details on this engine train combination? I'm not sure (didn't check out yet) but I think it won't be a problem to get this engine in Germany, what do you think?
Anyway it would be great if you could give me some more details on this?

to luc.
Hey Luc,
thanks for your reply ... good news from your side. I know about this option ... my problem is that there is obviously no f***ing way to get the car on the street in Germany if it's not EU reguistered used one! That means to work arround the work arrounds ... if you want to build up the car inside Germany.
Anyway ... I'm glad about your contact offer. It's always good to talk about this to more experienced guys. I'll send you an email with my contact data.
cheers

Regards,
Andreas Philipp

Hallo Andreas, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif the car on the link is from a very interesting garage in Milano named UKGarage WEBSITE . The owner is Gianluca(think he is the last UKG newbe here in the forum),he knows a lot about Uk kitcars (probably he is one of the best one about them in general here) and he has also an unfinished Gtd,think still for sale.
Also him surely wellknows the method i told u to finish the car and make it steetable, but almost here we are even talking about a formerly "used" car.

I love Germany and the people,and i travel several times up there(also to see the many nice Cobras around your country)

Just hope to come soon there with a gt40..maybe in Nordschleife, for me cooler place than Milano city.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Paul

Hallo Andreas,

ich habe Dir eine Mail an Deine private eMail-Adresse geschickt....

Gruß,
Volker

Hi Andreas,

Speak to Fred Meyer in Dusseldorf about you licensing problem. If you contact him please tell him
that I asked you to speak to him. His telephone number is 22 (that could be 022) 044 80576.

Olivier, I'm trying to figure out your car. It looks like a Mini Marcos. If it is have a look at
the new Marcos models on www.marcos-eng.com.

Greetings,
Andre

Back