How to get the windshield to fit???

Howard Jones

Supporter
I would love to see some pictures of the "shims" under the a and b pillars. I think this is what I did but I'd still like to see pictures.

Well, the windshield cracked on the left side, where one of the big gaps was filled. :furious:

Isn't that the expected outcome when you're forcing the body into shape using the windshield?

Go to the supershield windshield; it's much better than the glass and can be trimmed to fit really nicely (but just like any plastic-type product you need to be careful with it, no wipers, dry buffing, etc..., or you'll scratch/marr it up).

I'm not sure, but I think the position referenced in the prior posts is here (marked with arrow).

The picture is taken from the front passenger seat, looking at the front right rollbar (A pillar).

Attachments

• Shim Location.jpg
    Shim Location.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 298
I am about to lock down the spider.

Before doing this, all the body panels and doors and windshield were set in place. In general, the fit of all the parts is really impressive.

However, it looks like the lower corners of the windshield have a gap of slightly over 1/4". I have tried shimming between the roll bar and the body as well as between the body and the chassis in this area, but the window frame is very stiff (as you might expect, with such thick fiberglass in this area). While the windshield can be pressed down almost flush, I don't want to install it already stressed. I'm thinking that perhaps the best way to deal with it is just to install it as is allowing the windshield adhesive to take up the gap and then build up the front of the door frame so that visually it will appear to be in line with the curve of the windshield. The rest of the windshield rests pretty uniformly on the frame.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_20150227_131154966.jpg
    IMG_20150227_131154966.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_20150227_131241632.jpg
    IMG_20150227_131241632.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 295
  • Build Up.jpg
    Build Up.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 308
Dave:

Your windshield fit is spot on. Mine doesn't fit nearly as good and I spent a ton of time supporting the body as needed. You want a gap between the windshield and body for the adhesive. If you ever want to cut the windshield out your gonna want a gap.

Aaron

Michael Fling

Supporter
I have 1/2" spacers under my a pillars. My body width of the spider is exactly the same as Craig's (72" front and 74" rear). His doors and windshield fit beautifully. My doors stick out in the lower front considerably and my windshield has a 1" gap at each corner. I have more massaging to do but I am not sure where to begin? I'll get it figured out.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Make some measurements of your windshield at the extreme bottom corners and I'll give you mine. My windshield isn't perfect either but it isn't off a inch per side! Lets see if there is any difference.

Measure the windshield opening at the same points on the body. I'll do the same. At least you have some reference data.

I'll measure my body tomorrow when I get it secured and post a photo. My windshield has Maybe 1/4" - 3/8" gap at each lower corner.

I have 1/4" spacers between the body and chassis near each A-pillar (the location in the above picture). I also have a 5/8" spacer under the bolt through the cupholder (behind the rear edge of the door) on the right side and a 3/4" spacer on the left.

Smaller spacers could probably be used at the rear with some more shaving of the body against the tub and interior firewall, but everything seems to fit well, and I need all the headroom I can get.

Back