I like GT40s.com

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
This has nothing to do with GT40s but it does with the vehicle I drive most of the time, I have an 84 VW Vanagon Westfalla that me and my 3 dogs really like. The old girl has over 200k miles and about 6k miles ago I had the heads replaced with new ones, at the time I thought it to have been rebuilt at an earlier life but I think not now. When the engine warms up traveling down the road at 55 MPH for longer than 20 minutes the oil light started coming on at about 20 mile per hour and as time has gone on it has reached 40 mph. The mains are shot, everyday I take a cell phone to my work as I don't know if "Mary Jane" as my nieces named it will make it home or not. Doing some research on a short block 84 VW waterbox I found these engines to be a little pricey but stumbled onto a link that many people have converted to a Subaru Engine and have twice the HP and its better all the way. Well all you had to say is twice HP and I am in like Flint. If you don't know who Flint is then your to young go to another thread. :) So I bought on ebay a Subaru (Subbie I am informed) JDM EJ20H twin turbo motor that puts out 250 HP plus, I got the motor it has not more than 40k miles but thinking not to make another mistake I would replace the timing belt, tensioner so on before putting it in my VW Van. Well I joined 3 car forums (out of at least 10) that talk nothing but "Subbie" talk and asked a couple questions regarding WHAT ----ING belts go on this engine and no one has even responded to me. I guess I am to old to know the lingo, so all that being said I like it here with my fellow 40 guys. Do any of you know what timing belt will fit a JDM 94 EJ20H? I will not get mad if you even give me the wrong answer. :)
Jack

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
Just did a quick Google search and came back with some fu**ing expensive belts!!! If you can tell me what US vehicle that engine came in, I can exploit my contacts from work to get you an available part number you should be able to get at the local NAPA.

Laters,

Brian

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hmmm... Nothing on the belts, but Our Man Flint was a SuperStar in my book;

In Like Flint - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Original_movie_poster_for_the_film_In_Like_Flint.jpg

Jack - welcome to the "club". I have a 1971 VW T2 hard top ("tintop") Westy and belong to thesamba.com website as I slowly refresh this beat. Mine runs a stout T1 of 50+Hp which barely pushes the land yacht against the wind. I too looked at a subie conversion. Which sites do you recommend for such a frankenstien??
Regards,
Mike

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Brian it came out of a Japanese car from Japan, thats why I am having a problem, seems they didn't have this WRX type motor here in the USA till 2002, this one is a 94. No wonder it was cheap. :) Sure has some trick stuff on it, water to oil cooler, staged sequential turbo charged. One spools up quicker than the other then both chime in at full boost. Water cooled center sections, and looks to have had a water to air intercooler which is missing but I have one I will modify to fit. YES that belt is pricey thats why I want to order the correct one. They recommend changing the timing belt at 100k miles but while its out I am going to change it.

Ron your to young. :) James Colburn (Flint) was the USA version of James Bond in the mid 60s. That piece is very interesting! Thanks

Mike, its really easy, go to www.smallcar.com I bought the adapter bell housing and the new clutch disk which had the VW spline and it goes right into the Subaru flywheel and pressure plate. All you need to do is come up with an engine. I paid $995 for this engine and it low miles on it and came from a wrecked JDM (Japanese Domestic Motor) car. If I could go back now I would get the 6 cylinder NA without the turbos, seems like I am going to have a problem till I find out which belts work on this motor. The adapter bell housing and disk was about $650 and includes new pilot bearing, plus all the stuff match them up. There are over a couple thousand of these transformations out there. The price for a VW waterbox long block rebuilt with a whopping 105 HP is $2600 with exchange.

Mike yours is air-cooled you will have to stuff a radiator up front or a couple of them on the sides where your oil cooler and engine air comes in. Now that would be a beast from 55 to a couple hundred HP. I can't wait, I get no respect with my Van I get passed by everything. My Van has AC so I will be able to use it now without dieing at the stop sign. :) HA!

Last edited:

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Lezbaru power in Das Peoplesvagon is verboten. The only proper transplant is a 3.2l flat six from a pooper car. Nein doch wasser boxer! :)

Mike yours is air-cooled you will have to stuff a radiator up front or a couple of them on the sides where your oil cooler and engine air comes in. Now that would be a beast from 55 to a couple hundred HP.

Actually Jack, I have seen them put the rads under the bus parallel to the bottom with spacers so that they get airflow on both top and bottom...that is the only way I would go on my dog.

Jack,
Since you don't know which belt to use I thought you should go "generic." This from Harbour Freight should fit the bill. On the back it says vibration free, and if it's not long enough, just buy 2 and put them together:thumbsup:

Bill

P5270143.jpg

Back