If I move to Texas

I just got a title for my GT40 in Texas. It was totally painless, although the supervisor had to go read all of the rules since they don't do this very often to say the least. We now have a law that states if a car is built as a replica, it can (or should be) titled as the car it replicates with the wording "replica" on it.

Mine is now a "1966 TSC GT40 REPLICA". I had to have the MCO, the invoice (to pay taxes), and the rubbing of the chassis VIN number.

Registration is the next step, but I will wait until it is running and I have insurance on the car. I ordered my personalized plates now though. I got "66GT40".

I am quite happy that the title says 1966 GT40 since now I can get insurance for a 1966 car and when I take it to be inspected, they only go by what the insurance policy says and therefore I have to meet 1966 rules. I was originally worried because they were telling me it had to be titled as a 2014 assembled vehicle and meet 2014 regulations.

Yea!

-Bob Woods
user_online.gif

Howard Jones

Supporter
What about a SBC with a 750 Holley in a SLC? What would be the year of record for smog rules in Texas? In other words what am I required to do to meet Texas smog rules.

Thanks for the info on your GT40. That's just what I would want to do with my GTD.

Some countys have emission testing, some don't. I don't think Hays county ( San Marcos ) does. Travis county ( Austin ) might.

Howard,

You do have to pass emissions in Texas if you live in a metro area (not necessarily by county). Most cars just use the OBD to pass emissions. If you have an slightly older vehicle then they have to sniff it and most stations don't have the equipment. If you live in a rural area, you don't have to meet emissions.

However, if your car is titled as a 1966 vehicle, then it has to pass the rules of 1966 regardless of the engine type and of course there were no emissions requirements at that time.

However, the SLC is not a replica of a production car. Therefore, I think you have to title it as an "assembled vehicle" and the rules are quite different. They tell me that an assembled vehicle has to meet the standards of the year it was assembled.

All of this is to the best of my knowledge and someone could correct me if I am wrong.

-Bob Woods

Dr. Bob, I live in the Houston Metro area, but also in the only adjacent county that does not test. I know your Metro area tests, but I'm not sure about Austin or San Antonio. Seems like IIRC though that Austin-Georgetown does.

Hey Howard, pleasure speaking with you earlier and looking forward to meeting you!

In terms of emissions my house mate keeps telling me that they don't care in Bexar county (which you can pretty much consider San Antonio) but I've not looked into it myself yet but with all the money you'll be saving moving here I'm sure Fran might be able to hook you up on a good deal on an LS9 ;)

Howard Jones

Supporter
Thanks Ben, Others........Seams like nice group back there. I will be there in a couple of weeks and I'll get in touch there if not earlier. Can wait to shake some new hands.

Back